What will Wilkins extension cost? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What will Wilkins extension cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and your words were tackles don't get paid based off sacks and yet 80% of the top 10 got paid based off sacks. What insight do you have that Vea and Clark are not great leaders? You're right there are other metrics besides sacks but like I said in a passing league sacks are what get you paid. Wilkins will be 28 this year his prime has maybe 2-3 left before he hits the 30 wall. What we saw from Wilkins this past season is most likely his peak I don't see much rising from this point forward.
You, like most who make this argument, are trying to tie number of sacks into some sort of predictive scale. As in he has 8 sacks, so he's worth x, and he has 6 sacks, so he's worth .75x.

It just isn't anywhere near that exact of a science.

Each player has other attributes. Christian Wilkins leads the league in Tackles from his position. He is the Dolphins stated emotional leader (ask any of them)... while you stick to your sliding scale analysis of him being worth .75x based only on sacks.

I think you are not only wrong, but dead wrong... and I suspect (but can't prove) the team agrees with me... or more like, I agree with them.

I guess we'll see, but... prepare to be disappointed.

You, like most who make this argument, are trying to tie number of sacks into some sort of predictive scale. As in he has 8 sacks, so he's worth x, and he has 6 sacks, so he's worth .75x.

It just isn't anywhere near that exact of a science.

Each player has other attributes. Christian Wilkins leads the league in Tackles from his position. He is the Dolphins stated emotional leader (ask any of them)... while you stick to your sliding scale analysis of him being worth .75x based only on sacks.

I think you are not only wrong, but dead wrong... and I suspect (but can't prove) the team agrees with me... or more like, I agree with them.

I guess we'll see, but... prepare to be disappointed.

I agree with you 100%. I also agree that the front office feels the same way. I imagine Chris Grier would love nothing more than to set the market with one of his 1st round picks. One of the crown jewels of his career to make himself look better but it would be a shitty move. You dont over pay someone 10 to 15 mil for being an emotional leader. He led the league in tackles from his position partly because our linebackers are trash. You know what could get us much better linebackers? The 20 mil per year CW will demand

I like CW as a player and personality but no DT or emotional leader is worth that. This would be a Suh 2.0 signing

I’m more curious to know what Sieler’s price range is for an extension.

Wilkins, if I had to guess…. 4-years/$80 million range.

I think you're right.

These days that's what it will take.

I know some say we don't have to do it now, we can franchise etc.

However, every year, heck every month the contract goes up because last year's 5th best at his position is now getting the highest paid contract because 1-4 signed their deals last season. Every year it goes up.

I felt this way about Tua, and why I would gave extended him now.

Assuming Wilkins plays at the same level he did last year, it will cost less to sign him now, then next year.

Every 1 or 2 million a year makes a big diferrence, cap wise

For the longest time many thought you don't pay DTS that kind if money. Well, facts and contracts now show that is what they get.

I agree with you 100%. I also agree that the front office feels the same way. I imagine Chris Grier would love nothing more than to set the market with one of his 1st round picks. One of the crown jewels of his career to make himself look better but it would be a shitty move. You dont over pay someone 10 to 15 mil for being an emotional leader. He led the league in tackles from his position partly because our linebackers are trash. You know what could get us much better linebackers? The 20 mil per year CW will demand

I like CW as a player and personality but no DT or emotional leader is worth that. This would be a Suh 2.0 signing
The question is how would our run game D suffer and ofc our 4th and short mind-blowing stoppages? I would assume CW is a large part of that. I would hate to start giving up big run-yardage games.

The question is how would our run game D suffer and ofc our 4th and short mind-blowing stoppages? I would assume CW is a large part of that. I would hate to start giving up big run-yardage games.
His run stops within two yards are always good. He’s a very good but not quite elite player IMHO.

No it's not lol. They can sign linval Joseph and maybe another rotation guy and the defense will be the same. It's a terrible allocation of cap money on a non premium position. It's a dt dude
There’s no comparison between the two at this stage. This isn’t 2018. Joseph is washed. The NFL clearly doesn’t view it as “non-premium” if you have a great player. Looks at the recent DT contracts. Whether Wilkins fits there is certainly debatable but that players like Jeffrey Simmons aren’t worth getting paid “premium” money is not. The top 7 paid DTs in the league are all $20 million+ now. That’s the market for the top guys.

Chubb was invisible dude. It was a terrible trade. Look at the fa des available
He was dinged up but played very well in the playoff game. His pressure rates were good and the team sack numbers jumped when he arrived. He was hardly invisible, that’s not fair. He can be better but he had his moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom