What will Wilkins extension cost? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What will Wilkins extension cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Giants DL was an All Pro.

Has Wilkins even made a Pro Bowl? Hope Fins sign him to an extension before the season because he started getting recognized last year and the accolades will jump his price tag.

I am constantly surprised by the number of Fins fans who don't want to pay their good players what they are worth.

Or turn against them when they do get paid.

The Fins are not going to let CW go for a frickin 3rd round comp pick.

And waiting to see how he does in the Fangio D will just up his price, they should have done this a year ago when they could have got him for less than he will cost now.

Not to mention extending him now would open up some Cap space they could use to add to the OL and maybe another LB.

Wilkins won’t sniff less then $18MM, and most likely $20MM. He recorded nearly 190 tackles in the last two years—more than any DL (and many LBs) in the NFL. His sacks weren’t impressive, but, with Fangio that might change. DT Akim Hicks’ yearly sacks doubled in Fangio’s system.

Wilkins ceiling is still high, whereas Seiler is over-achieving. Would love to keep both but if anyone goes to avoid large future payouts, it’s Zach.
Yeah the key is Wilkins gets better every season.

You, like most who make this argument, are trying to tie number of sacks into some sort of predictive scale. As in he has 8 sacks, so he's worth x, and he has 6 sacks, so he's worth .75x.

It just isn't anywhere near that exact of a science.

Each player has other attributes. Christian Wilkins leads the league in Tackles from his position. He is the Dolphins stated emotional leader (ask any of them)... while you stick to your sliding scale analysis of him being worth .75x based only on sacks.

I think you are not only wrong, but dead wrong... and I suspect (but can't prove) the team agrees with me... or more like, I agree with them.

I guess we'll see, but... prepare to be disappointed.
Wilkins produces in big moments and is the core of our defense. We must find a way to keep him even at 19m. The question is….how. I’m looking at replacing X after this season and re-allocating his money.

I am constantly surprised by the number of Fins fans who don't want to pay their good players what they are worth.

Or turn against them when they do get paid.

The Fins are not going to let CW go for a frickin 3rd round comp pick.

And waiting to see how he does in the Fangio D will just up his price, they should have done this a year ago when they could have got him for less than he will cost now.

Not to mention extending him now would open up some Cap space they could use to add to the OL and maybe another LB.
I think many want to pay him what he’s worth. The disconnect is agreeing on what he’s worth. Many don’t believe he deserves to be paid like an elite pass rushing DT. If he got around $16 million a year I think the majority of fans would be ok with that.

Honestly... I hate to pay any player top 10 money.
I generally lean towards the idea that it's better to have several good players than one elite player and a couple of bums, but yeah... I know... that's not really realistic either.
So... we'll have to pay, at least a couple of these types of salaries... and I am open to letting a player like Wilkins walk... or even trying to keep him on the tag, but they are now expecting the DL tag to be around 21m because of all these new contracts.

But I keep coming back to 'emotional leader of the team'... which I think Wilkins is, and I think some here really underestimate what that means in the game of football-- the ultimate team combat sport.

I've seen so many teams win games based more on emotion and the WILL that comes from that emotional boost. Yes, it's all but impossible to quantify, but some guys just have a way of convincing their teammates to run through that wall... I spent years on the football fields, and while not at this high of a level, I saw a ton of lesser teams win because they were convinced... convinced they could.

I think Wilkins gives us that.

...and as always, yes... I could be wrong, but that's what I think I see here.
Suh was a talented player, but an emotional drag. Selfish and no leader... Wilkins is Suh, but is a huge emotional leader.

I'd do it... I'd just ask him to consider taking a slight cut due to no state taxes and the ability to play on one team for his entire career.

I generally lean towards the idea that it's better to have several good players than one elite player and a couple of bums, but yeah... I know... that's not really realistic either.
So... we'll have to pay, at least a couple of these types of salaries... and I am open to letting a player like Wilkins walk... or even trying to keep him on the tag, but they are now expecting the DL tag to be around 21m because of all these new contracts.

But I keep coming back to 'emotional leader of the team'... which I think Wilkins is, and I think some here really underestimate what that means in the game of football-- the ultimate team combat sport.

I've seen so many teams win games based more on emotion and the WILL that comes from that emotional boost. Yes, it's all but impossible to quantify, but some guys just have a way of convincing their teammates to run through that wall... I spent years on the football fields, and while not at this high of a level, I saw a ton of lesser teams win because they were convinced... convinced they could.

Suh was a talented player, but an emotional drag. Selfish and no leader... Wilkins is Suh, but is a huge emotional leader.

I'd do it... I'd just ask him to consider taking a slight cut due to no state taxes and the ability to play on one team for his entire career.

We got a clear example of what you're talking about in the Playoffs.

Realistically, until late in the 4th quarter, Miami looked like they may win a game they had no business winning against Buffalo.

Emotion, heart desire etc. Guys like Wilkins bring that out

This is a player Miami needs to find a way to keep. As others have noted, he's a team leader, durable, excellent against the run and a penetrator in the passing game (gets pressures and occasionally sacks).

He's a player who gets the team fired up.

I think drafting Cam Smith could give Grier some flexibility with someone like X. Howard. That's a bad contract, but maybe he'll find a trade partner after the season.

I do like Howard, but if Smith can play, maybe Miami can move on.

With a roster filled with talent, Grier will have tough decisions to make.

I have said it in a dozen other threads, but CW is a difficult player to evaluate. If you compare him to his peers getting $20M+ per year extensions, he is 1-2 years older and generates significantly less QB sacks/hits/pressures. While he had a lot of run stuffs last year (15), he still had less than Payne and Jones. Mind you Payne and Jones had 11.5 and 15.5 sacks respectively and CW has 11.5 in 4 seasons.

I love CW’s effort and what he brings to the team as a leader. However, I don’t pay my IDL to get 80%+ of their tackles past the line of scrimmage; that is my LBs job. CW will be 28 this December and 29 in December of the 1st year of his contract extension. Just don’t see a monster contract extension for him aging well at all even if it was good for the team the next 1-2 years.

Wilkins produces in big moments and is the core of our defense. We must find a way to keep him even at 19m. The question is….how. I’m looking at replacing X after this season and re-allocating his money.
Yeah I think so. Professor X or Ramses the Great. Can’t see keeping them both past this one season

Agree 100%. If we can somehow move on from X contract next year, we can afford Wilkins and maybe Seiler.

We have to keep him because we have to start keeping our own . But I just don’t believe his production matches what he will paid.

I made a thread unpopular opinions and my opinion was Wilkins was a bit overstated . I probably didn’t state that correctly. I knew he would get big money because the dt market is blowing up.
But I don’t think he is top 5 dt . I think he is like 8-11 best in league. Def worth keeping but it is going to suck paying him 20 million a year for 2.5-3.5 sacks per year.

Maybe with Chubb here will get 5 or 6 sacks a year. He did have more impact in passing game with Chubb there and Phillips getting better. But he is noway near top 5 idt in league. Now I would pay the dt from the jets that money. But not Wilkins. But we don’t have choice I think we have to start keeping some of our own. I do love his heart and team first attitude. He really cares about winning.

We drafted Wilkins and developed him now you want to trade him.
We really can't afford to not resign him.
Great player and team guy and those are few and far between.
We bring in Chubb Ogbah Ramsey Long Jr because we can't consistently develop players.
Sign your own if they develop period.
We are not that great a team that we can afford to lose Wilkins.
He must stay a Dolphin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom