What would a Marino contract look like today? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What would a Marino contract look like today?

Just for fun... if we had Marino in his prime today, what type of contract do you think he would be getting? I could see him setting the record for highest paid qb.

$50M per

Fully guaranteed contract for as many years I can negotiate.

AND I WOULD GIVE HIM A GOOD RUNNING GAME.

40 mil plus per year for the goat

Whatever the amount, it wouldn’t be enough.

Forget the inflated stats, I just wished Marino played during this era from the simple standpoint that the league has made it so much easier to win a title with the type of teams MIA had back during the 1984 - 1995 era.

Just for fun... if we had Marino in his prime today, what type of contract do you think he would be getting? I could see him setting the record for highest paid qb.

I think Marino would have shredded today’s NFL post passing rules changes, and QB protection changes......nothing against the QB’s of the last 15 years, but Marino would tear this league up now.

“I go back to my scouting days and ignore statistics,” said Charlie Casserly, general manager of the Washington Redskins during their Super Bowl years and later the Houston Texans. “I look at a guy’s physical talent for throwing the football. Guys back then, you put Dan Marino, who came in in ’83, in this system, he’d throw for 6,000 yards. He was the best I ever saw as a passer.”

Owners frown on other owners handing out contracts that are a massive jump in money per year. Wilson makes around $35M per year, so I’d assume Marino in his prime would get a contract similar to what Mahomes will get. I don’t think it will be over $40M per year, but I could see it being almost fully guaranteed.

Whatever the amount, it wouldn’t be enough.

Forget the inflated stats, I just wished Marino played during this era from the simple standpoint that the league has made it so much easier to win a title with the type of teams MIA had back during the 1984 - 1995 era.
Spot on. Score a lot of points, your defense has to do “just enough”. The Rams won w one of those teams and so did KC. Oh, and Philly. And Green Bay. And NO. And the Colts. 100%.

I think Marino would have shredded today’s NFL post passing rules changes, and QB protection changes......nothing against the QB’s of the last 15 years, but Marino would tear this league up now.
Everyone forgets he got knocked on his ass a lot after standing in the pocket in what today would be roughings all day long. W literally no ability to hit him (due to the quick release, footwork AND wimpy-azz rules for what constitutes roughing - eg, my fingernail grazed your the side of your helmet), he’d probably complete 80% of his passes w regularity.

Everyone forgets he got knocked on his *** a lot after standing in the pocket in what today would be roughings all day long. W literally no ability to hit him (due to the quick release, footwork AND wimpy-azz rules for what constitutes roughing - eg, my fingernail grazed your the side of your helmet), he’d probably complete 80% of his passes w regularity.

Between 2001-2009....the NFL made several rules changes which greatly effected the NFL passing game...this started shortly after Marino left the league.

Marino had long standing records that would start falling like dominoes...to players that would never have touched his numbers before the changes....Guys like Brees, Manning, and Brady started putting crazy numbers up they never would have touched before these changes.

Well today Marino would be a less styish qb. Today, the league has changed from 1984-1999. The rules have changed too. Successful passing feeds off successful running game. Edge rushing is better than it was back then, thus the premium on DEs and LTs. I think Marino would be a tier less than the new age qb’s that are dual threats. He would be considered close to a dinosaur in today’s game. Ryan Fitzpatrick even puts up numbers. It is not throwing thay crucial INT late or being able to run for the first late in the game

Back
Top Bottom