What would a Marino contract look like today? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What would a Marino contract look like today?

Well today Marino would be a less styish qb. Today, the league has changed from 1984-1999. The rules have changed too. Successful passing feeds off successful running game. Edge rushing is better than it was back then, thus the premium on DEs and LTs. I think Marino would be a tier less than the new age qb’s that are dual threats. He would be considered close to a dinosaur in today’s game. Ryan Fitzpatrick even puts up numbers. It is not throwing thay crucial INT late or being able to run for the first late in the game
I disagree for the following reasons:

All the WRs now wear gecko hymen gloves that could allow them to catch anything near them.
Qbs are much better protected in the pocket with the rule changes.
WRs are much better protected with the rule changes to allow for more passing.
Marino's abilities were off the chart. Best pure passer of the football in NFL history hands down.

Tom Brady made a living being a pocket passer as did Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. All lit up the league and broke Dan;s records only because he didn't play in an era that was so favorable to the passing game. In today's NFL, Marino would routinely throw for 500 yards a game and 5 touchdowns.

All the WRs now wear gecko hymen gloves that could allow them to catch anything near them.
Marino's abilities were off the chart. Best pure passer of the football in NFL history hands down.

Tom Brady made a living being a pocket passer as did Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. All lit up the league and broke Dan;s records only because he didn't play in an era that was so favorable to the passing game. In today's NFL, Marino would routinely throw for 500 yards a game and 5 touchdowns.
Let me ask you, is Burrow, Tua, , Herbert and Lawrence like Marino or diff? The reason I ask is those are the qb’s of the future

A lot of these younger fans don't know as much about the game, and its history as they think they do.

Let me ask you, is Burrow, Tua, , Herbert and Lawrence like Marino or diff? The reason I ask is those are the qb’s of the future
I don't believe any of them have the total package that Dan did as a passer. Dan's release was second to none. His ability to put the ball into tight windows was elite. His arm strength to throw a deep out on a rope is as good or better than any of the guys mentioned. His footwork in the pocket was top shelf. He had the "it factor" that drives a guy to success, and inspired teammates.

Need I go on?

Besides that, listing guys that have yet to take an NFL snap as the future is not only presumptious, but seems a bit silly.

A lot of these younger fans don't know as much about the game, and its history as they think they do.
I don't believe any of them have the total package that Dan did as a passer. Dan's release was second to none. His ability to put the ball into tight windows was elite. His arm strength to throw a deep out on a rope is as good or better than any of the guys mentioned. His footwork in the pocket was top shelf. He had the "it factor" that drives a guy to success, and inspired teammates.

Need I go on?

Besides that, listing guys that have yet to take an NFL snap as the future is not only presumptious, but seems a bit silly.
this is the nfl. Read the OP. Where would Marino be as a dinosaur? You certainly cant relate what he did in the 80s today. But his style of qb’ing is going away fast

this is the nfl. Read the OP. Where would Marino be as a dinosaur? You certainly cant relate what he did in the 80s today. But his style of qb’ing is going away fast
There's always room for a player who has a laser release who can throw it end zone to end zone and puts up numbers like Dan's did with you can basically multiply X 1.25 to see what he would be doing in this QB friendly current league. To act like he wouldn't be successful acts to simply illuminate how little you know about true football.

But his style of qb’ing is going away fast

In what way specifically? Care to elaborate? If you are going to make a paradigm shifting statement like that, I need more than a blanket statement.

I have no idea what "stylish" has to do with anything, but I doubt you could find 10% of football knowledgeable ppl, that wouldn't tell you Marino in his prime wouldn't feast with today's rules.

How is that a "dinosaur"?

Well today Marino would be a less styish qb. Today, the league has changed from 1984-1999. The rules have changed too. Successful passing feeds off successful running game. Edge rushing is better than it was back then, thus the premium on DEs and LTs. I think Marino would be a tier less than the new age qb’s that are dual threats. He would be considered close to a dinosaur in today’s game. Ryan Fitzpatrick even puts up numbers. It is not throwing thay crucial INT late or being able to run for the first late in the game
Huh? This doesn’t make any sense to me at all. So what if edge rushing is supposedly better - not sure what that comment is even on - the quickest release in football and some of the best feet in the pocket to ever play would be worse today than they were when WRs didn’t have free runs all over the field, QBs could be hit after they threw, etc?

And a double “huh”at successful passing feeding off of running. That was true UNTIL the rule changes that have favored the pass game. Why do you think RBs don’t get big contracts anymore? The Titans w Tannehill this year were a throwback to how the game was largely played but very much an anomaly today. One of the things that made Dan so great is even in that era, where THE RUN SET UP THE PASS, everyone knew Miami was passing and they still couldn’t stop him. And that’s with premier EDGE rushers line Lawrence Taylor, Chris Doleman, Hugh Green, Rickey Jackson, Andre Tippett, Cornelius Bennet, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, John Randle, Jim Jeffcoat, Derrick Thomas -and that’s off the top of my head in 2.5 seconds.There have always been great sack masters. And there have always been dual threat QBs - Bobby Douglass, John Elway, Steve Young, Bob Griese in his early years, Randall Cunningham, our own David Woodley, Joe Montana was an excellent runner, Fran Tarketington. I’m utterly baffled.

Huh? This doesn’t make any sense to me at all. So what if edge rushing is supposedly better - not sure what that comment is even on - the quickest release in football and some of the best feet in the pocket to ever play would be worse today than they were when WRs didn’t have free runs all over the field, QBs could be hit after they threw, etc?

And a double “huh”at successful passing feeding off of running. That was true UNTIL the rule changes that have favored the pass game. Why do you think RBs don’t get big contracts anymore? The Titans w Tannehill this year were a throwback to how the game was largely played but very much an anomaly today. One of the things that made Dan so great is even in that era, where THE RUN SET UP THE PASS, everyone knew Miami was passing and they still couldn’t stop him. And that’s with premier EDGE rushers line Lawrence Taylor, Chris Doleman, Hugh Green, Rickey Jackson, Andre Tippett, Cornelius Bennet, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, John Randle, Jim Jeffcoat, Derrick Thomas -and that’s off the top of my head in 2.5 seconds.There have always been great sack masters. And there have always been dual threat QBs - Bobby Douglass, John Elway, Steve Young, Bob Griese in his early years, Randall Cunningham, our own David Woodley, Joe Montana was an excellent runner, Fran Tarketington. I’m utterly baffled.
Exactly.

That pass rusher comment was truly a head scratcher. The guys you listed are just a few that could be used as examples. They were relentless, and when they got home, the QB was picking turf out of his facemask, after being ferociously driven into the ground.

I’ll tell you what Dan WOULD NEVER DO IN ANY ERA:

These are the “future” greats of the NFL. This kid is considered a star and represents the current QBs of worth. If you analyze every dropback Marino had as a Dolphin, I bet you wouldn’t find a single such horrific miss on this kind of play - anywhere. You’re forgetting about the mental “processing” part of the game which is the most important - you can have all the tools but if you can’t process at warp speed you get “this”.

Exactly.

That pass rusher comment was truly a head scratcher. The guys you listed are just a few that could be used as examples. They were relentless, and when they got home, the QB was picking turf out of his facemask, after being ferociously driven into the ground.
Right. The rushers weren’t trying to hold up at the QB. They pummeled them in brutal fashion whether they got the sack or not.

Back
Top Bottom