What would a Marino contract look like today? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What would a Marino contract look like today?

Well today Marino would be a less styish qb. Today, the league has changed from 1984-1999. The rules have changed too. Successful passing feeds off successful running game. Edge rushing is better than it was back then, thus the premium on DEs and LTs. I think Marino would be a tier less than the new age qb’s that are dual threats. He would be considered close to a dinosaur in today’s game. Ryan Fitzpatrick even puts up numbers. It is not throwing thay crucial INT late or being able to run for the first late in the game

You’d be wrong...Marino would destroy this league....he threw 5000 and 40+ touchdowns when nobody dreamed of it...he was elusive in the pocket and made quick decisions...even in that league he didn’t get sacked much.

Of course...I’m sure you know more than Charlie Casserly about the subject...do you even remember the 80’s?

In what way specifically? Care to elaborate? If you are going to make a paradigm shifting statement like that, I need more than a blanket statement.

I have no idea what "stylish" has to do with anything, but I doubt you could find 10% of football knowledgeable ppl, that wouldn't tell you Marino in his prime wouldn't feast with today's rules.

How is that a "dinosaur"?
Absolutely.

Well today Marino would be a less styish qb. Today, the league has changed from 1984-1999. The rules have changed too. Successful passing feeds off successful running game. Edge rushing is better than it was back then, thus the premium on DEs and LTs. I think Marino would be a tier less than the new age qb’s that are dual threats. He would be considered close to a dinosaur in today’s game. Ryan Fitzpatrick even puts up numbers. It is not throwing thay crucial INT late or being able to run for the first late in the game
What???

Well the post was stupid. Marino in his prime is garbage because new QBs run too? Wha?

It was an epic draft for QB's. Six were taken in the first round. Dan was the last one picked.

If a fan from another team wanted to say either one of Elway, Kelly, or Marino was the best I wouldn't argue. Since I'm born and raised here, and went to games before Shula, I'll have to pick Marino.

If I'm brutally honest I'd say Marino had the most talent but Elway and Kelly might have had more heart. Kelly owned us and since he went to college here I always had a fond spot for him. All three of them were great. All three of them would be great in any era of football. Just like Manning and Brady would be. Steve Young would probably be the one would thrive the most with today's rule changes.

Trivia question for those who talk about how QB's can pass for more yards today. What QB holds the record for the most passing yards in a game, and in what year? The internet takes all the challenge away. Still, it is interesting to note that most of these records are from before rule changes that favored the passing game.

It was an epic draft for QB's. Six were taken in the first round. Dan was the last one picked.

If a fan from another team wanted to say either one of Elway, Kelly, or Marino was the best I wouldn't argue. Since I'm born and raised here, and went to games before Shula, I'll have to pick Marino.

If I'm brutally honest I'd say Marino had the most talent but Elway and Kelly might have had more heart. Kelly owned us and since he went to college here I always had a fond spot for him. All three of them were great. All three of them would be great in any era of football. Just like Manning and Brady would be. Steve Young would probably be the one would thrive the most with today's rule changes.

Trivia question for those who talk about how QB's can pass for more yards today. What QB holds the record for the most passing yards in a game, and in what year? The internet takes all the challenge away. Still, it is interesting to note that most of these records are from before rule changes that favored the passing game.

You are right

Most Norm Van Brocklin 554

Here's all the 500+ yards qb's

We have a fake fan alert
MEH

I don't think he's, necessarily, a fake fan. I do think he has a very superficial understanding of the realities of the game.

It's also difficult to appreciate the past, when your only exposure is youtube highlights.

No doubt, the game has changed, but there are a lot of past players, and teams, who's greatness transcends eras.

I swear I’m not cheating and looking it up - Norm Van Broccoli ? stands out to me w 550 yards passing in ...err... 1949?

I swear I’m not cheating and looking it up - Norm Van Broccoli ? stands out to me w 550 yards passing in ...err... 1949?

I did google it Royal :)

Go back a few post for all QB's that threw for 500+ yards

Marino, Elway and Kelly were all great. I thought they all played with the hearts of champions. They all were warriors who wanted to compete and never gave up no matter the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom