What Would Constitute A Successful Season? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Would Constitute A Successful Season?

What Would Constitute a Successful Season?

• Playoffs or Bust

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Coaching Staff Proving its on the Right Track

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Young Talent Developing

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Being Able to Fully Evaluate Rosen (is he or isn't he the guy?)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
With a new regime taking over and the front office making the statement that they are building the right way, what would make the 2020 season a success?

For me, I want to see a more fundamentally sound and disciplined team. I want to see how "multiple" plays out week-by-week. I want to see the semblance of a running game. I want to see at least the beginnings of a more physical team.

I could care less about wins and losses. But I do want to have a good feel for what Rosen is and if the team is on the right track with the coaching staff.

If Miami has positive answers on the quarterback and the coaching, the team will be in a great position heading into a draft with a slew of picks.

I'm not setting a high expectation for wins. But for this to work out, I'm expecting to see Coach Flo's vision take hold, with young players beginning to master the principles and full development of the basics and discipline required to do it right. IMHO, we don't have our future QB, and I realize many people will think I'm premature with that evaluation--and I hope I am--but if I'm right, then we need to secure one of the top 3 picks anyway, so 1-4 wins is perfectly acceptable. But, I need to see the young guys buying in to the system, and I need to start to see those guys turning the lessons into production, and I'm fine with some guys succeeding and others failing miserably … after all, at that win total, there's obviously going to be major flaws.

I'm less concerned about whether we have found our starting ______________ (fill in the blank), and more concerned whether we've hired the right general to lead the troops and whether our coaching staff can be the first Belichick disciples to actually re-create the success of the fabled "Patriot Way" in Miami. I can handle sucking for a season or two, because I'm not interested in being a borderline playoff team … I'm hoping we can build the next Dolphins dynasty.

I think there’s only two reasonable options. Super Bowl, or a top 3 pick. The goal is a championship every year. Elite players help win championships. Bad teams need to build a roster with some elite players in it. Top draft picks help make that job easier when the front office is sub par or the team as a whole isn’t very good.

I want the Dolphins to play very very high above expectations and make a run to the SB, or fail miserably and (presumably) get the best QB on the draft board come 2020.

Anything else in between is just filler, be it good, bad, memorable, or forgettable. There’s always moments, like the Miami Miracle last year. But let’s get that damn elusive super bowl ring sooner than later. It’s been long enough.

Im going to go in a little bit of a different direction here, as there are several things that could get me there.

I want to see an effective defensive. scheme. I realize there are holes, but top 15-20 overall minimum. Thats not great, but it's an improvement of a dozen spots.

I want to see an offense that doesn't come out flat every damn game, drastically cuts down on penalties from mental errors, and is able to make adjustments.

I want to see more consistant drives, and less 3 and outs.

I doubt very seriously we will have a winning record, and I'm ok with that, as long as i see a foundation being built, and noticable improvement over the course of the season.

Now for wildly successful.

An effective O-line that can be counted on both running, and in pass pro.

Rosen shows the "IT" factor, allowing us to make a huge leap in 2020.

A versitile defense that just gets it done when the game is there for the taking.

I think there’s only two reasonable options. Super Bowl, or a top 3 pick. The goal is a championship every year. Elite players help win championships. Bad teams need to build a roster with some elite players in it. Top draft picks help make that job easier when the front office is sub par or the team as a whole isn’t very good.

I want the Dolphins to play very very high above expectations and make a run to the SB, or fail miserably and (presumably) get the best QB on the draft board come 2020.

Anything else in between is just filler, be it good, bad, memorable, or forgettable. There’s always moments, like the Miami Miracle last year. But let’s get that damn elusive super bowl ring sooner than later. It’s been long enough.
A little off topic, but bear with me. The elite talent equation is interesting. One of the reasons I have trouble accepting the Patriots as one of the best teams of all-time is because I can't un-see what I've seen.

Teams used to be able to stockpile talent and out-talent the opposition. Think back to all the dynasties of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Those teams were loaded on both sides of the ball. But today's game is less about elite talent simply because teams can't keep too many elite players. It's more about finding players who fit your system, are versatile etc. How many elite players does New England have most years? Maybe 2-3. Those 1990 Dallas and San Francisco teams probably had 10 elite players. Today's teams don't match-up at least in that regard.

That's why I like hearing Flores talk about being multiple. It's why I completely understand finding players who can play multiple positions and adjust to different schemes. That is how NE has developed a dynasty. That and lucking into a 6th round quarterback who is pretty good!!

Has to be the coaching staff proving its on the right track, and that may be hard to see this year.

Half these players are trying out this season, going to purge again next year and it depends on what they show the coaching staff this year and also what there contract looks like, to have a deep team to absorb injuries you can't afford to over pay the starters and Miami has for some time now.

If Rosen never starts a game for Miami it was still worth the risk, Miami needs to look at more QB's, another problem we have had for some time now.

Can't play to lose to get a better draft pick, have to play to win, no matter how the cards end up falling.

Both drafting departments (college and pro) have to do a better job, any big money contracts need to be your players not FA.

Build a winning team 1st - half these high echelon QB's come from all different rounds of the draft.

It begins and ends with being to evaluate Rosen. If the QB's (both Rosen and Fitz) don't have enough time in the pocket, who's really at fault coach or GM?

Looking at the overall talent on the oline....:frown

Play off surprise would be great. But, For the long term a top 5 pick in the first round, trade for extra picks, etc sounds good also.
Would love a surprise but I am prepared to wait.

This team is positioned to add so many new players next offseason. I’m most interested in development of Rosen and the rest of the young players on this roster. We have 16 games to see what Rosen has, otherwise we replace him in the next draft. The losses are going to pile up no matter what he does but we get to see whether he’s a foundational piece or not.

I like the direction of the team so far.

I'm excited about their season.

To me a successful season would be a season that ends on a high note.

There will be losses, and injuries and unexpected drama. There always is.

A successful season for me would mean no stupid drama, and that games in December are won and/or played very competitively.

The stupid off the field drama and pathetic losses in CRITICAL late season games is what ruins it for me.

I'm not hung up on either QB being the starter THIS season OR NEXT SEASON.

Take one step at a time

With a new regime taking over and the front office making the statement that they are building the right way, what would make the 2020 season a success?

For me, I want to see a more fundamentally sound and disciplined team. I want to see how "multiple" plays out week-by-week. I want to see the semblance of a running game. I want to see at least the beginnings of a more physical team.

I could care less about wins and losses. But I do want to have a good feel for what Rosen is and if the team is on the right track with the coaching staff.

If Miami has positive answers on the quarterback and the coaching, the team will be in a great position heading into a draft with a slew of picks.

My definition of "successful" is segmented, although there is overlap. But, first, my judgments will be based exclusively on the last 8-10 games. Too many moving parts early to have any valid evaluations.
1) Coaching - game plans, adjustments, finding and exploiting mismatches, disciplined players.
2) Players - assignment aware. Good fundamentals. Improvement over the season.
I'd like to see a handful of players take a step up. Don't care who. Move from 'suspect' to 'average.' Move from 'average' to 'long-term talent.' I'd like to see a couple of holes filled in-house (e.g., OL, DE, CB). Give me those, and the rest will take care of itself.

Back
Top Bottom