What Would Constitute A Successful Season? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Would Constitute A Successful Season?

What Would Constitute a Successful Season?

• Playoffs or Bust

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Coaching Staff Proving its on the Right Track

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Young Talent Developing

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Being Able to Fully Evaluate Rosen (is he or isn't he the guy?)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
The team plays fundamentally sound.
Coaches show they are excellent game managers.
The team shows up ready and is to play and players give maximum effort every single week regardless of record and score resulting in competitive games.
A group of young players demonstrate Miami would be wise to build around as part of their core.

Somewhat paradoxically, end up with the #1 pick in next years draft.

Combo of Coaching showing their vision will work/Young talent developing. In each of Gase's seasons (even as someone who liked him) the constants were taking half a season to get anything resembling an offense going, constant breakdowns in protection, needing to dummy down the offense too much, and D that looked confused/soft/beat up. I think there is enough talent on offense for it to be competent (OL pending) but the D just lacks depth/difference makers at key positions.

Based on everything I've heard comparing the two staffs I think you'll see a team that loses this year just due to a lack of talent/depth but you get the sense that the right people are in charge of the rebuild. I just want that to be proven the case

I dont think it really matters this year because I think Flores is just a sacrificial lamb to man the helm while we get our new QB. We are going to suck for the next two years. I think Flores will get a third year because Ross is slow to fire and he's signed for five years so the financial pain would be great if we did fire him. I think year three is the critical year for Flores. He's going to have to go a minimum 8-8 in year three and maybe even playoffs depending on the fan base.

The one thing I'll say about this year however is if we go 0-16 or 1-15 then you may have to consider firing Grier and Flores. I dont think you want to go into what might be the most important draft in the history of the team with a coach and GM who produced a 0-16 or 1-15 season.

Personally I would fire Grier after this year if Rosen is a bust. If Rosen busts then it tells me Grier is not the guy to trust evaluating QBs and I certainly dont want him using our first to make that pick

Since you only get one option. I choose: Other

Other being "getting the #1 draft pick in 2020". Sure. Why not?

I dont think it really matters this year because I think Flores is just a sacrificial lamb to man the helm while we get our new QB. We are going to suck for the next two years. I think Flores will get a third year because Ross is slow to fire and he's signed for five years so the financial pain would be great if we did fire him. I think year three is the critical year for Flores. He's going to have to go a minimum 8-8 in year three and maybe even playoffs depending on the fan base.

The one thing I'll say about this year however is if we go 0-16 or 1-15 then you may have to consider firing Grier and Flores. I dont think you want to go into what might be the most important draft in the history of the team with a coach and GM who produced a 0-16 or 1-15 season.

Personally I would fire Grier after this year if Rosen is a bust. If Rosen busts then it tells me Grier is not the guy to trust evaluating QBs and I certainly dont want him using our first to make that pick
That's ridiculous. We took a chance at a position of need. It doesn't always work out. You don't fire a GM for doing everything he can to try and find a franchise QB.

You must have something more against either Grier or Josh, because, on the face of it, that is a ridiculous statement.

It didn't cost us a second round pick. It cost a hanful of spots in the second round, and a fifth, when the dust settled.

It's a good move from a cost/risk/reward POV, not a basis for firing someone.

With a new regime taking over and the front office making the statement that they are building the right way, what would make the 2020 season a success?

For me, I want to see a more fundamentally sound and disciplined team. I want to see how "multiple" plays out week-by-week. I want to see the semblance of a running game. I want to see at least the beginnings of a more physical team.

I could care less about wins and losses. But I do want to have a good feel for what Rosen is and if the team is on the right track with the coaching staff.

If Miami has positive answers on the quarterback and the coaching, the team will be in a great position heading into a draft with a slew of picks.

This season should all be about Rosen. And see if he is the guy or he isn’t.

He should START week 1 and play all season. If he isn’t the guy you will be in position to get a top end QB without giving up additional assets. It also clarifies is QB your number one need in Offseason.

Every season is a failure until we have secured the most important position in all of sports.

We've had good coaches in the past, good talent at various positions, and teams that limped into the playoffs with decent records. But until we have a franchise QB that can consistently makes us a threat, we will be exactly where we've been for over 2 decades. The season is a success if Rosen shows to be "that guy". Otherwise we are back to square one regardless of our coach, Minkah, X, Tunsil, etc....

This is a great question.

Most everyone believes we will have a losing season, but expects/demands that there must be improvements in many areas. Well, if we do make these improvements we will be a 7-9 win team which puts us in a poor position for that 2020 QB.

My response for this season:

1. Determine if Rosen is our QB or do we need to draft a QB high in 2020.
  2. A coaching staff that will have players prepared at the start of the game.
  3. A coaching staff that makes adjustments at half time.
  4. A coaching staff that have disciplined team (less penalties, sound strategies, and players knowing the call and where to line up).
  5. A team that doesn't give up despite losing. A coach who doesn't lose the locker room.
  6. Growth during the course of the season with certain areas; LB core, Offensive line, Defensive Tackles and Hopefully Rosen.
  7. A team that avoids the spot light for all the wrong reasons.
We do these things and win 2-8 games, I'm fine knowing we have a fundamentally solid team.

He should START week 1 and play all season. If he isn’t the guy you will be in position to get a top end QB without giving up additional assets. It also clarifies is QB your number one need in Offseason.

This should be obvious. Much more important than meaningless damn wins.

In the sense that "big" decisions on what direction to go with respect to the QB position, yes we do need to see what JRs ceiling is, but if the best way to do that (in the opinion of the staff) is to sit him initially, then so be it.

Forgive me, though, if I put more faith in their expertise, than that of a fan forum poster on this specific issue.

Can't play to lose to get a better draft pick, have to play to win, no matter how the cards end up falling.
Build a winning team 1st - half these high echelon QB's come from all different rounds of the draft.

1) Coaching - game plans, adjustments, finding and exploiting mismatches, disciplined players.
2) Players - assignment aware. Good fundamentals. Improvement over the season.
I'd like to see a handful of players take a step up. Don't care who. Move from 'suspect' to 'average.' Move from 'average' to 'long-term talent.' I'd like to see a couple of holes filled in-house (e.g., OL, DE, CB). Give me those, and the rest will take care of itself.

:hclap::good: :up:

I voted other because choices 2,3 and 4 are all relative IMO

Is Grier making all the decisions? I don't understand some of the posters pov on Grier.... why is he the scapegoat? … Does he listen to the coach and say "point taken but we will do this instead"?

Unless you (and others) have a personal vendetta against the guy please explain this thought process.

Back
Top Bottom