What Would Constitute a Successful Season? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Would Constitute a Successful Season?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
With an added playoff spot, I know a lot of teams are going to be in the running making the final few games that much more interesting across the league. I'm not expecting a playoff trip for Miami even though, on paper, the team is obviously significantly improved. But what would make this a success season in year two of the rebuild? If you consider the "tear down" year one.

For me, it's not so much about wins and losses. I think the Dolphins are a year away, but there are a few things I'd like to see. Here is my short list.

1. A more competitive team. I think we'll see this. I don't expect anything close to those early season blowouts from a year ago.
2. A running game. This was a huge weakness last year. Most likely we'll see four new starters on the offensive line. I'm also excited about the additions of Howard and Breida at running back.
3. Can Hunt nail down the RT position? This is huge with Tua, a lefty, as the quarterback. If Hunt is average at pass protection, I'd look early to the draft for a RT and move him to guard. This appears to be a strong area in the draft and I'd take advantage of that.
4. Can we see a more physical run-stopping team? This is another big question. Miami should be significantly better setting the edge with Lawson and Ogbah. Davis should see plenty of action rotating between end and tackle and Wilkins should be even better in his second season..
5. Improvement across the board. Great effort every game. Intelligent play.
6. I'd love to see Tua start at some point, but a lot of that is dependent on the offensive line play. My guess is Tua gets about eight starts. I'm okay with less. I really don't need proof that he's the answer, but I don't want him out there if the offensive line is a mess.

With an added playoff spot, I know a lot of teams are going to be in the running making the final few games that much more interesting across the league. I'm not expecting a playoff trip for Miami even though, on paper, the team is obviously significantly improved. But what would make this a success season in year two of the rebuild? If you consider the "tear down" year one.

For me, it's not so much about wins and losses. I think the Dolphins are a year away, but there are a few things I'd like to see. Here is my short list.

1. A more competitive team. I think we'll see this. I don't expect anything close to those early season blowouts from a year ago.
2. A running game. This was a huge weakness last year. Most likely we'll see four new starters on the offensive line. I'm also excited about the additions of Howard and Breida at running back.
3. Can Hunt nail down the RT position? This is huge with Tua, a lefty, as the quarterback. If Hunt is average at pass protection, I'd look early to the draft for a RT and move him to guard. This appears to be a strong area in the draft and I'd take advantage of that.
4. Can we see a more physical run-stopping team? This is another big question. Miami should be significantly better setting the edge with Lawson and Ogbah. Davis should see plenty of action rotating between end and tackle and Wilkins should be even better in his second season..
5. Improvement across the board. Great effort every game. Intelligent play.
6. I'd love to see Tua start at some point, but a lot of that is dependent on the offensive line play. My guess is Tua gets about eight starts. I'm okay with less. I really don't need proof that he's the answer, but I don't want him out there if the offensive line is a mess.

Excellent post brother.

Not much I would add to that.

I'm not too worried about the defense. Flo will have them ready.

The key, as you suggested, is the O-line.

Assuming they play 16 games i would say anything better than 7 wins would be a success to me.

Looking at their schedule I have a hard time seeing them win more than 7 so topping that would be impressive.

Beyond the record, i want to see PROGRESS and i want to see many of the newcomers contributing.

Not worried about the W/L column, although another say 5-6 wins would be helpful and Houston crashing as well gives us another high draft position because the whole rebuild is about bringing in as many young talented players as possible to be the foundation for years to come.
In saying that I would like to see a general improvement in our level of play and consistently more competitive. Especially comparing game 1 to game 16 and seeing a steady improvement.
Start filling in the holes with some of the draftees stepping up to show they could be long term keepers at their position. Special regards to Tua - want to see him play a few times to see, yes he is the answer to our prayers or if he gets injured again do we chase another QB in the next draft. I hoping he does work out big time.
Coaching staff are Chan and Josh the new co-ordinators the men to help Flo take us places? So far I like what I have seen and heard about Flo and while I don't expect Chan to be long term, hopefully he puts a system in place that is successful and grooms a replacement.

I don’t expect them to make the playoffs as I just see this as year 2 of a 3 year rebuilding process. I just want to see the young players develop as the season goes along. It is imperative that the OL finds cohesion and that Jackson, Hunt, and even Kindley end up being major upgrades over the offensive linemen the Dolphins had in 2019. This might not happen immediately but if these players don’t develop into solid players, much of the 2020 draft will have been a waste.

The defense must show vast improvement with the addition of 3 defensive players drafted in the first 70 players of the 2020 draft and the addition of a number of free agents on this side of the ball. A bottom 10 defense just won’t be acceptable anymore after the money and draft resources they used to upgrade the defense.

Of course getting Tua at least a few starts in the latter part of the season if he is cleared medically would be highly beneficial going into the 2021 season. Tua is the future and this team will only go as far as he can take them. So the sooner he can become the starter, the sooner the Dolphins can actually begin preparing for the Tua years.

Clearly seeing our draft picks excel on the field especially Tua. DP and PW proving they can both do it again. Seeing Tua out there whenever that happens, develop a strong relationship with our offensive weapons. Seeing players continue to be all in on Flores. Finally winning the AFCE wouldn't suck either.

Back
Top Bottom