What Would Constitute a Successful Season? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Would Constitute a Successful Season?

I just want to see Tua, in however many games he may play in, be the player he was at 'Bama. Idc, what our record is when he gets the call, I just want to see that same guy and see him show durability and know that he's the guy we can count on for the next ten or so years to be our QB. **** what our record winds up being.

I just want to see Tua, in however many games he may play in, be the player he was at 'Bama. Idc, what our record is when he gets the call, I just want to see that same guy and see him show durability and know that he's the guy we can count on for the next ten or so years to be our QB. **** what our record winds up being.
I can agree w that..winning 3 to 5 game and not play Tua is big mistake...

Progress. Progress towards all the things that we’ve been missing for the last 20 years - an identity, sensible roster and cap management and a front office and coaching team having a plan that gives them a future together.

At this point just having a season...
I came into this thread to type what you just posted.

I pray that I'm wrong, but I just don't see a real season happening.

With the Marlins going down in COVID flames, does anyone REALLY think that the full contact, full sweat, full bleeding NFL has a freaking prayer?

Really?

Forget all the 'I don't care about the playoffs' talk. Success is going to the playoffs. Imagine what the top free agents, pundits, and fans will think of our team when this happens. Plus it'll give the young guys hope and desire to achieve more. It puts the name back in contention with everyone. shows the league we are back with a solid team, coaching staff, back office, ownership.

Playoffs mean we ARE successful.

For me, I am looking for these 4....

1. The O-line showing progress to being at least a solid line.

2. Though I expect and hope the Dolphins reach the playoffs this season, as long as they prove to be in the hunt all year, I will be fine.

3. The Defense show toughness against the run, and the secondary show almost lockdown ability against the pass. Passrush is still a work in progress.

4. Though I expect Fitz to start, I expect Tua to be threatning to overtake the starting job from him, and depending how ready and early he becomes to start, if the O-line wills it, Tua takes over early, while continuing to grow.

Forget all the 'I don't care about the playoffs' talk. Success is going to the playoffs. Imagine what the top free agents, pundits, and fans will think of our team when this happens. Plus it'll give the young guys hope and desire to achieve more. It puts the name back in contention with everyone. shows the league we are back with a solid team, coaching staff, back office, ownership.

Playoffs mean we ARE successful.

I agree with the bolded, but there are degrees of success. A successful drive in golf is not limited to a hole in one. Four successful years of college doesn't require a 4.0. To a UDFA, a successful camp is finishing with a spot on the roster. It all depends on projections and likelihood.
In this case, with no real camp, no PS, a roster full of new faces, a number of guys who have only 'proven' themselves one year and/or coming off injuries, and uncertainty over which RF will show up, I think most see a successful season as beating expectations and showing significant progress over the season.

With an added playoff spot, I know a lot of teams are going to be in the running making the final few games that much more interesting across the league. I'm not expecting a playoff trip for Miami even though, on paper, the team is obviously significantly improved. But what would make this a success season in year two of the rebuild? If you consider the "tear down" year one.

For me, it's not so much about wins and losses. I think the Dolphins are a year away, but there are a few things I'd like to see. Here is my short list.

1. A more competitive team. I think we'll see this. I don't expect anything close to those early season blowouts from a year ago.
2. A running game. This was a huge weakness last year. Most likely we'll see four new starters on the offensive line. I'm also excited about the additions of Howard and Breida at running back.
3. Can Hunt nail down the RT position? This is huge with Tua, a lefty, as the quarterback. If Hunt is average at pass protection, I'd look early to the draft for a RT and move him to guard. This appears to be a strong area in the draft and I'd take advantage of that.
4. Can we see a more physical run-stopping team? This is another big question. Miami should be significantly better setting the edge with Lawson and Ogbah. Davis should see plenty of action rotating between end and tackle and Wilkins should be even better in his second season..
5. Improvement across the board. Great effort every game. Intelligent play.
6. I'd love to see Tua start at some point, but a lot of that is dependent on the offensive line play. My guess is Tua gets about eight starts. I'm okay with less. I really don't need proof that he's the answer, but I don't want him out there if the offensive line is a mess.
Those are all excellent goals. While I have zero confidence in #3, as I believe our Tua Blindside protector was drafted to be Austin Jackson, I'd say all of those are realistic and fine barometers for success.

I might add a few more.
7. We have an NFL season that lasts at least 12 games.
8. The Dolphins win more games than last year so Coach Flo & Co. can avoid the hot seat.
9. The Jets avoid the playoffs, because let's face it, the Patriots and Bills are making the playoffs baring disaster, but if the Jets make it, that one will sting.
10. Our LB's and DL's develop because last year Coach Flo's front 7 (well really front 5 or 6) simply wasn't good enough. Van Noy alone should help, and Ogbah and Lawson should be major upgrades as well.
11. Our rookies and young players stay healthy so they can learn and develop.
12. We stick to the plan and keep developing our youth, instead of panicking and benching them for vets to avoid getting the coaches fired. Those guys need these reps and growing pains to develop, and this year may not be a tank, but it is definitely a rebuilding year, so they should get those reps.

A successful season would be having a top 15 offensive line by season's end. Top 20 would be ok but to get the A+ I'd like top 15.

Beyond that I would just like to see continued development in our youth group. A lot of young players who will need time to gel and I'll give them 2020 to do it in.

2021 is the year of high expectations for me.

A successful season would be having a top 15 offensive line by season's end. Top 20 would be ok but to get the A+ I'd like top 15.

Beyond that I would just like to see continued development in our youth group. A lot of young players who will need time to gel and I'll give them 2020 to do it in.

2021 is the year of high expectations for me.

Just to be clear, you won't rank the OL by all 16 games to determine ranking, right? If "by season's end" you mean ranking of last 4-6 games, I'll agree

I came into this thread to type what you just posted.

I pray that I'm wrong, but I just don't see a real season happening.

With the Marlins going down in COVID flames, does anyone REALLY think that the full contact, full sweat, full bleeding NFL has a freaking prayer?

Really?

They're going to try but i don't see how the season is going to be finished.

College Football is probably on life support if the NCAA is being realistic too.

The NCAA doesn't even begin to have the resources to handle college football with little or no risk. The NCAA is deluding themselves.

The comments here are good and I agree with most of the views posted but it seems to me as if most of you see this season as an exhibition year. I say that if Flores brought out the best of no-name players last year, that he could do the same with this year's roster, no question. I would not be surprised then if we stubble into the playoffs this season - barring injuring in key spots and having a squad that gels early. Flores is the man that can make that dream come true if he repeats his influence in each players and calls the game right.

Don't mark off this 2020-21 as an exhibition season so fast, let's first see if Flores can bring out the best in every player (like last year) before cancelling all hope of a playoff appearance. Brady is gone and the Bills/Jets are not real threats for the divisional title, so keep the faith this season. I am.

I heard from credible sources that Goodell has successfully negotiated with Covid-19 and it has agreed to stay clear of the NFL for this season.

Back
Top Bottom