What would Grier need to do to make Linderbaum a possible draft pick for Miami? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What would Grier need to do to make Linderbaum a possible draft pick for Miami?

I would love to see Linderbaum in a dolphins uniform, but I think we need to slow down just a little bit here. He would be a great piece for our offensive line, but singularly he is not going to transform us overnight into a Super Bowl contender. Especially if you were considering giving up our second round pick to do so or an early pick in 2023. If he were to fall into the low 20s that I can see moving one of our fourth rounders this year and maybe a third through fifth rounder next year to do so.
As I've said before, I feel the offensive line starts with getting a good Center.

I'd love to get Lindenbaum, but if it turns out we can get a good Center for a lot less draft capital, I won't be unhappy.

My feeling about offensive lines is that you start with the center. That is why I'd like to see if there is a way to get Linderbaum.

If the cost is too high, then we can get someone else.

We do have some cap space and some good draft picks next year that just might make getting Lindenbaum a possibility for us.

I'm open to any effective change the new HC and current GM want to make via Free Agency and the Draft.
No, I agree, though I want to do a lot of the fixing of the line in FA, I do not want a FA Center, I want Linderbaum, in fact he is probably on top of my list of players I want to use the #1 draft pick on, but unfortunately I have seen too many times teams get aggressive, trade up to get a player, and end up with egg on their face.

Linderbaum is going to be a good player, but it's going to cost us more then we are willing to spend...If the trade is reasonable, then OK, but I just have a feeling he could reach us without having to do anything.

No, I agree, though I want to do a lot of the fixing of the line in FA, I do not want a FA Center, I want Linderbaum, in fact he is probably on top of my list of players I want to use the #1 draft pick on, but unfortunately I have seen too many times teams get aggressive, trade up to get a player, and end up with egg on their face.

Linderbaum is going to be a good player, but it's going to cost us more then we are willing to spend...If the trade is reasonable, then OK, but I just have a feeling he could reach us without having to do anything.

See, I don't mind trading up for whoever, If they improve the team.

Now I'm not trading a 1st or 2nd to move up. But a future 3rd or 4th I have no issues.

If you're telling me I could get Linderbaum by trading a 3rd.
Or
I could not trade up and I will get Lindstrom later?

Yeah, I'm trading that 3rd.

We had an opportunity to get Wirfs by trading a 3rd. We chose not to. We got stuck with Jackson.

There's a reason some mocks have Linderbaum going top 10

If we trade up for him and he rates out at the end of the season top 5 at Center..... it would be very difficult to criticize the trade up

While the Oline is a need I don't see it as a must get, first round or bust, scenario. Cincinnati needed o line incredibly bad... they got 1 in their first 5 picks.

There is enough good choices in FA I'm good with them spending big on the big boys and going young talent in the draft. We need WRs!

Don't trade up for a center. If he's there at 29, great.

Would you be willing to trade up a few spots for Olin Kreutz.

He wasn't just an ordinary center. I know he went in the 3rd.

But I personally would trade up for a guy like Kreutz rather than get the next best Center who is graded atleast 2 rounds lower.

So here's the choice.

Trade a 3rd to draft Kreutz
Or
Draft Draft Dieter in the 3rd or 4th round.

I'm not saying Linderbaum is a Kreutz. Just using him in this very eloquent and perfect hypothetical lol

Trading up for an offensive lineman when you have the most cap space in the league will not sit well with me. That being said I think Linderbaum goes 15-20 and it would probably take our 3rd this year and maybe a 5th? Either way Dean is really the only player I would trade up for in the 1st. There are several players I’d trade up for AFTER our pick at 50.

Trading up for an offensive lineman when you have the most cap space in the league will not sit well with me. That being said I think Linderbaum goes 15-20 and it would probably take our 3rd this year and maybe a 5th? Either way Dean is really the only player I would trade up for in the 1st. There are several players I’d trade up for AFTER our pick at 50.

Agreed on Dean.

Really, for me, if Linderbaum and Dean are gone at 29 no one else interests me.

Not a fan of any WR at that slot. Zion is too early same with RBS.

At the end of the day, FA will dictate our needs of course.

We can address all our needs minus maybe RB in FA

I would seriously be ok trading all our picks for picks next year except for 50.

If Walker or Spiller are there take them. If not, I would be fine not drafting a single player this year

Agreed on Dean.

Really, for me, if Linderbaum and Dean are gone at 29 no one else interests me.

Not a fan of any WR at that slot. Zion is too early same with RBS.

At the end of the day, FA will dictate our needs of course.

We can address all our needs minus maybe RB in FA

I would seriously be ok trading all our picks for picks next year except for 50.

If Walker or Spiller are there take them. If not, I would be fine not drafting a single player this year
Thought about next year and that class right now does not look as strong or as deep as this one. This class is very strong at OT, Edge, DB, and WR plus has good LB’s. Nice thing about pick 29 is if nobody is there we really need and there are 4-5 guys left we like move into the first few picks of round 2 this year and pick up a 3rd this year or a 2 next year for doing so. I think that a few of the WR’s will be there at 33-35, and the OL from BC looked really good yesterday - he is plug and play. Also, OT from N Iowa is moving up into top 15 with his workout. Some of the top olineman did not move well yesterday and think they drop some.

I recommend that we try and then see what the price would be.
If it's too high we pass, but it's foolish to pass without finding out first what the real cost would be.

Zion Johnson might be a great option. Can play guard and center. I won’t be surprised if he gets drafted ahead of Tyler.

What would Grier need to do to make Linderbaum a possible draft pick for Miami?

1) How far up would we need to move to in the draft?
2) How much would that move cost us in trade capital?
3) Could we make an immediate trade to whichever team does get Linderbaum?
4) If we could make that trade, how much would it cost us?
Still too early to tell. We are a full 3 stages of pre-draft movement away from knowing.

Stage 1: Combine results reshuffle people and drop some average athletes down the pecking order, and shoot some collegiate underperformers up the charts in the underwear olympics.

Stage 2: Deep dive analyses into the tape leads the public to catch up to the scouts on lesser scrutinized players as traits other than speed/quickness and size start to be properly valued by non-experts and public conjecture begins to mirror scout evaluations. No real change here in the scouting community, but public perception changes very significantly for most players .... and this is where the athletes themselves often find their shock "drop" in pre-draft analyses as players with elite athletic ability are found lacking as football players.

Stage 3: Disinformation begins streaming out of draft rooms at a torrential pace. Mixed in with this is some accurate information in an attempt to hide true intentions. Only at this stage can people evaluate what they really think other clubs valuations are and make reasonable predictions of draft costs.

Linderbaum is likely to float around in stage 1, drop between stages 1 and 2 in most people's draft opinions as the stellar athletes leapfrog people's perception of him, then slightly rise back up becuase of his elite tape once stage 2 settles in. By stage 3, Linderbaum will drop on most draft boards as teams' desires for specific other elite upside prospects begin to crystalize. Not so much Linderbaum falling in stage 3 as individual teams falling in love with the upside of specific guys meaning the interior OL prospects will be pushed down, even elite ones like Linderbaum.

So expect his name to rise up draft boards in the short term. Then begin to slide fairly steadily until draft day. If people think he is Quentin Nelson good, he'll stay up around the top 10. If scouts think he's a C not a G, then he'll fall and maybe into our pick range. We may need to move up a lot .... but he could definitely fall to us as well. I'm not ruling that out at this stage.

See, I don't mind trading up for whoever, If they improve the team.

Now I'm not trading a 1st or 2nd to move up. But a future 3rd or 4th I have no issues.

If you're telling me I could get Linderbaum by trading a 3rd.
Or
I could not trade up and I will get Lindstrom later?

Yeah, I'm trading that 3rd.

We had an opportunity to get Wirfs by trading a 3rd. We chose not to. We got stuck with Jackson.

There's a reason some mocks have Linderbaum going top 10

If we trade up for him and he rates out at the end of the season top 5 at Center..... it would be very difficult to criticize the trade up
I would do a 3rd or lower, but have a feeling most team will only see the amount of picks we have this year and next year, and be strict on a 2nd this year, or 1st next year.

I want Linderbaum bad, so don't think my don't blink stance has anything to do with me not wanting him, I just don't want to get burnt like we have when we trade up.

I have Linderbaum and Devin Lloyd as two guys who are perfect fits who shouldn't fall to #29 but might. C might fall b/c some people just have these old school rules about positional value. Lloyd could fall b/c some may see him as a two down guy and again old school positional value rules. Like others here, I'm hoping that as many QBs as possible make it into the first round pushing some higher ranked prospects down to us. I wouldn't say either of those guys falling to Miami's pick is likely, but having followed the draft for so many decades, I also know it's not impossible. I see both of those guys as players we would not be disappointed we took.

There are also a couple of WRs who shouldn't fall to our pick, but might just b/c WRs almost always tend to fall on draft day (Burks, London). And if they don't I would be happy with Breece Hall at RB. I tend to prefer to not take a RB at #29 (old school positional rules), but I get a sense he may be special and fit-wise is perfect for Miami. There are several RBs I also like later in the draft, but I like Hall better and the difference is enough to for me to take him a bit higher than I would ideally want. (Obviously, I'd love to trade down a bit and still get him, but that's easier to do in mock drafts than it is in real life). And while it wouldn't be as exciting, I don't think Zion Johnson would be a bad pick at #29. Other than Hall, all these others I mentioned should be gone by our pick, but odds are at least one of those will unexpectedly be there.

Still too early to tell. We are a full 3 stages of pre-draft movement away from knowing.

Stage 1: Combine results reshuffle people and drop some average athletes down the pecking order, and shoot some collegiate underperformers up the charts in the underwear olympics.

Stage 2: Deep dive analyses into the tape leads the public to catch up to the scouts on lesser scrutinized players as traits other than speed/quickness and size start to be properly valued by non-experts and public conjecture begins to mirror scout evaluations. No real change here in the scouting community, but public perception changes very significantly for most players .... and this is where the athletes themselves often find their shock "drop" in pre-draft analyses as players with elite athletic ability are found lacking as football players.

Stage 3: Disinformation begins streaming out of draft rooms at a torrential pace. Mixed in with this is some accurate information in an attempt to hide true intentions. Only at this stage can people evaluate what they really think other clubs valuations are and make reasonable predictions of draft costs.

Linderbaum is likely to float around in stage 1, drop between stages 1 and 2 in most people's draft opinions as the stellar athletes leapfrog people's perception of him, then slightly rise back up becuase of his elite tape once stage 2 settles in. By stage 3, Linderbaum will drop on most draft boards as teams' desires for specific other elite upside prospects begin to crystalize. Not so much Linderbaum falling in stage 3 as individual teams falling in love with the upside of specific guys meaning the interior OL prospects will be pushed down, even elite ones like Linderbaum.

So expect his name to rise up draft boards in the short term. Then begin to slide fairly steadily until draft day. If people think he is Quentin Nelson good, he'll stay up around the top 10. If scouts think he's a C not a G, then he'll fall and maybe into our pick range. We may need to move up a lot .... but he could definitely fall to us as well. I'm not ruling that out at this stage.
Nice response.
A sensible review of the analysis going on, up to and throughout the draft.

Back
Top Bottom