What Would Plan B Be? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Would Plan B Be?

Trading all those assets to move up to grab Tua is why so many top QB qbs fail. You put them in a dire situation of having to carry the team far too early in their careers that they may never live up to what you need them to be and they end up ok or fail out of the league. This isn’t anything against Tua as I have made my desire for him known, but I also don’t want to **** the kid over and say “hey we gave up the farm for you. Don’t make us regret it because all our careers are in the line.”
with the jettisoning of Bama players from the roster, I do think there might be something to the idea that it would be hard for us to draft Tua, insofar as making this a good situation for him. Maybe one of the other QBs was always more likely, maybe Flores always thought this was a 3-5 win team.

The draft has always been about numbers for the most part. The more picks you have and the higher they are, the better chance you have to hit on players. Can you find a great player in any round? Of course but it doesn't happen as often as people would think. They like to talk about Brady and Wilson but that doesn't happen often. I for one do NOT like to put all the eggs in one basket so I'm not for giving away picks to move up. Would I trade away a 5th and a 6th round pick to move up a couple of spots for Tua or Burrow? Of course I would but trading away our high picks to move up? No I don't want to do that.

We need a QB but we need way more than that. I like our coaching staff but even they need to get talent to work with if they want to be contenders. We need to build a whole team. Moving up is ok but it really depends on the price. No QB is a sure thing.

with the jettisoning of Bama players from the roster, I do think there might be something to the idea that it would be hard for us to draft Tua, insofar as making this a good situation for him. Maybe one of the other QBs was always more likely, maybe Flores always thought this was a 3-5 win team.

I personally think the idea of having the right coach and system is as important as having the QB.

We have seen a ton of QB's go number 1 overall, these are guys who appear to have elite skills and talent to succeed at the next level, but it turns outs less often then one would like to see. The biggest reason, the number 1 overall QB goes to a horrible team with poor coaching and a lot of times is there to 1. save a coach and GM, 2. Work with a new unproven coach who his hitching his career to this young player. That is a ton of pressure and leads many to fizzle out without ever reaching their potential.

While Andrew Luck did turn a team that was 2-14 into an 11-5 team, the year before they went 2-14, they were 10 and 6 so even that situation wasn't dire.

There is a reason, that in a draft that saw 5 QBs go round 1, the one that went later in the draft is having the most success. Last year Jackson wasn't asked to carry the team, just do enough. Wilson, in a very good QB class, has been by far the most successful QB, a big reason was landing on a team that he did not have to carry until recently. They had a top level defense, and elite run game early in his career. Brady, Rothlisburger were brought along slowly, hell even Brees had to change situations in order to get his career going.

So I'm not willing to just throw all the picks at QB and hope that magically fixes everything, because in the past it has not; Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Vick, RGIII...I think the time it did work out was for Eli Manning, but in general, when you give a ton of assets you take away players that could help the QB be even better.

So if we end up at 5th, 6th or whatever, I think the best option is to stand pat, keep those assets to improve the rest of the team and grab the QB you feel best fits what you want to do. If that is Fromm, then draft Fromm.

Last edited:
I draft Fromm...his IQ, pre and post snap, and accuracy fits what Miami wants to do.

The other picks I fill as they fall, but I would look at one of the top centers and a defender.

I would look at RB in round 3...grabbing one in round 1 seems a waste.

Round 2 o-line, DB help, Edge defender (depending on what we did in round 1).

What do you think of his arm? I've only seen him in two full games.

I personally think the idea of having the right coach and system is as important as having the QB.

We have seen a ton of QB's go number 1 overall, these are guys who appear to have elite skills and talent to succeed at the next level, but it turns outs less often the one would like to see. The biggest reason, the number 1 overall QB goes to a horrible team with poor coaching and a lot of times if there to 1. save a coach and GM, 2. Work with a new unproven coach who his hitching his career to this young player. That is a ton of pressure and causes many to fizzle out without ever reaching their potential.

While Andrew Luck did turn a team that was 2-14 into an 11-5 team, they year before the 2-14, they were 10 and 6 so even that situation wasn't dire.

There is a reason, that in a draft that saw 5 QBs go round 1, the one that went later int he draft is having the most success. Last year Jackson wasn't asked to carry the team, just do enough. Wilson, id a very good QB class has been by far the most successful QB, a big reason was landing on a team that he did not have to carry until recently. They had a top level defense, and elite run game early in his career. Brady, Rothlisburger, hell even Brees had to change situations in order to get his career going.

So I'm not willing to just throw all the picks at QB and hope that magically fixes everything, because in the past it has not Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Vick, RGIII...I think the time it did work out was for Eli Manning, but in general, when you give a ton of assets you take away players that could help the QB be even better.

So if we end up at 5th, 6th or whatever, I think the best option is to stand pat, keep those assets to improve the rest of the team and grab the QB you feel best fits what you want to do. If that is Fromm, then draft Fromm.

Bingo.

What do you think of his arm? I've only seen him in two full games.
I think his hand size and arm strength are the two things keeping him from being in the same conversation as Burrows as the number 2 guy. I think it is adequate and he more then makes up for his short coming with elite understanding, IQ, accuracy, and feel. He processes things very fast which is extremely important, it is one of the reasons I would take him over a Herbert and the other elite arm guys. It is great they can place the ball anywhere, but sometimes they identify where to go with the ball too late.

Last edited:
You get the first pick or trade your assets to get Tua.

Tua is plan A, B, C, and D.

This is exactly correct. ckparrothead touched on the same thing.

"There can be value at any number." My friend Darryl in Las Vegas always emphasized that. He liked to chide people who would make blanket comments like, "I would never give 10-1 on ANYTHING."

Darryl would reply, "You wouldn't give 10-1 odds on Carl Lewis at 100 yards against me?" Then he'd laugh like heck. The other guy went from feeling smug to the aim of every barb.

A year ago I thought it would require 4 first round picks to move from 2 to 1 to take Tua. If the Dolphins managed half of that or less it would be incredible value. You have to do it, allowing recency and shifting opinion to work in your favor. Basically you want every team ahead of you to think like Mike Tannenbaum.

I hope that you can teach Jordan love to do what Jake Fromm does well.

In no universe do I think you can teach Jake Fromm to do the things that Jordan love does well. I want to go for the grand slam

it’s tua, it’s Herbert if it doesn’t cost a bunch of ammunition to go get him, or it’s love for me.

And if the Jordan love narrative requires throwing fitz out there for another year that’s totally okay.

I don’t think you’ll ever see the staff roll w/ Rosen again. And if you do I bet we can feel the FO pushing it.

I sense flo and co don’t like joshes demeanor. I sure don’t. He certainly doesn’t seem to be in the mold of what chef flo is cooking w/ the rest of the roster.
I think you are spot on with that analysis.

Miami is in good shape to get either Tua or Burrow if those are their top two. Might require a trade up to either Washington or New York Giants.

The Dolphins most likely won't have the top choice and I don't see Cincinnati trading out.

The wildcard might be Herbert. If Miami likes all three, they could stand pat and hang onto their draft picks.

We have seen a ton of QB's go number 1 overall, these are guys who appear to have elite skills and talent to succeed at the next level, but it turns outs less often then one would like to see. The biggest reason, the number 1 overall QB goes to a horrible team with poor coaching and a lot of times is there to 1. save a coach and GM, 2. Work with a new unproven coach who his hitching his career to this young player. That is a ton of pressure and leads many to fizzle out without ever reaching their potential.

While Andrew Luck did turn a team that was 2-14 into an 11-5 team, the year before they went 2-14, they were 10 and 6 so even that situation wasn't dire.

There is a reason, that in a draft that saw 5 QBs go round 1, the one that went later in the draft is having the most success. Last year Jackson wasn't asked to carry the team, just do enough. Wilson, in a very good QB class, has been by far the most successful QB, a big reason was landing on a team that he did not have to carry until recently. They had a top level defense, and elite run game early in his career. Brady, Rothlisburger were brought along slowly, hell even Brees had to change situations in order to get his career going.

So I'm not willing to just throw all the picks at QB and hope that magically fixes everything, because in the past it has not; Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Vick, RGIII...I think the time it did work out was for Eli Manning, but in general, when you give a ton of assets you take away players that could help the QB be even better.

I get your point and I love having more draft picks.

To me, it comes down to how the team grades the quarterbacks. If the front office views three as potential top 10 caliber quarterbacks you can probably stand pat and get one.

If the front office sees two, then you might have to trade up and I would do that. If its just Tua then Cincinnati most likely gets him and maybe the focus becomes BPA.

In that scenario, maybe you take a chance on Fromm or Love with the last first round pick from Houston.

Now that Tua is out. I say let's draft Georgia's OT-Andrew Thomas at 1A, Georgia's QB-Jake Fromm at 1b and Georgia's RB- Swift at 1C and for good measure Georgia's RT at 2A

I have never been sure Miami was in love with Tua to begin with.

At the start of the season I heard that Miami liked Herbert over Tua.

Burrow may be #1 to Cincy now but there is a long way to go.

I like Fromm but he has not looked very good today against a pretty strong Auburn D.

It might be that Miami is not in love with any of the QB's this year and wants to see Rosen play next year with more talent around him.

Well guess we need to shift to #BlowforBurrow now instead of #tankfortua. Just classic Dolphins luck that Tua has potentially career ending injury on top of his other injuries, we just can't use our top draft pick on someone with this injury history. It's a shame.

I like Fromm's intangibles and leadership and accuracy and all that(he reminds me of a Patriots type QB in those ways)but he is a bit lacking physically.

Is he lacking enough to prevent him from thriving in the NFL? I don't know.

Herbert is almost the opposite of Fromm, off the charts physically but worries about the neck up stuff.

I want a heady poised leader at QB(who has the physical ability obviously).

Back
Top Bottom