What would you pay Griese? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What would you pay Griese?

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
We are obviously trying to preserve some cap $$ for a run at Griese. I'm sure this will stir some viceral comments, but, what kind of contract would you offer Griese? Here's mine:

I would try to get him at the following: 3 year deal (minimum) for about $5M, maybe $6M. If $5M - it could be structured like this:

$2.1M bonus ($700,000 per year in cap #s).

Salary:
$650,000 year one (Cap hit: $1.35 M)

$1M year two (Cap #: $1.7 M)

$1.3M year three (Cap #: $2M).

I would want him for at least 3 years, b/c this year he's not going to start coming in as late as he is and with some of the baggage he brings. But, I would put some faith in him and would want him to be competitive the next two years - this type of deal would do that. Plus, with QB injuries in the league, you have a solid backup QB. I'm not opposed to paying a back up QB around $2M per - especially as the cap continues to rise (it won't be as big an overall hit).

This would show Griese that the team likes him and has confidence in him. But, it would also not be so big that everyone would be saying "Jay's gone" next year. What do the rest of you think?

If it's true he wants to be a starter and there is no reason not to believe this, he signs only a one year deal. Where ever he takes a starting job the contract is going to be for much more than a backup's scale. More on the scale of 5 mill a year or more???

I know this is shallow of me, but I wish Bob or Brian Griese would have been pretentious enough to tell people his name was pronounced differently than it is... you know, like Surtain did...

If just once one of them woulda said to a reporter, "No sorry its pronounced 'Grah-zay' "...
Or he could have said "Actually my name is traditionally pronounced 'reese' because where I come from the G is silent".

Then I would feel better... and we wouldn't have to put up with jokes about him falling on his Griese floor after tripping over his Griese dog...

Anyway, thats my worthess and shallow opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tell you what he wants and most likely going ot get 1 year deal.

Back
Top Bottom