What would you want saban to do if... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What would you want saban to do if...

I don't like us trading up, But I wont mind a bit if we traded down. We can use as much picks as we can get.

Dolfan_Noles said:
Young led the nation in passing efficiency, ran all over every defense including an 80 yard TD win when the game was on the line on the road, and showed up in one of the biggest games in college football history. How can there still be questions about this guy? He is complete.

He is a complete STUD at the college level...no arguments.

But most of what he did at the college level wont have him surviving long in the NFL. I would like him to be around a long time if he was drafted by Miami.

I think he could be coached and taught to improve on his deficencies and he could be a very solid reliable passer and a threat scrambling for gains out of the pocket.

But the speed is so different, the power of tackling so harder, I just want his arm to speak louder than his legs for survival reasons.

The problem is that he is different from normal QBs. So different that a coordinator is going to have to design a whole new system to take advantage of his talents.

How many coordinators would be willing to do that? How many head coaches have their systems in place and think, I'll be danged if we're going to scrap the system we have been working to build for one guy. It doesn't even have to be that strong a feeling, it just becomes awfully easy to weigh on the one side upheaving everything to bring in Vince Young, vs. on the other side some prospect you may have already been looking at that allows you to keep the status quo.

Not to mention all the teams that feel they HAVE a QB.

Remember what happened to Rodgers last year? Basically because he got snubbed by the 49ers, Dolphins, Browns, and Bucs, he spiraled all the way to #24 because nobody else had thought seriously or prepared themselves for the eventuality that they could draft a QB in the first round. It takes a special commitment to draft a first round QB, even MORE of a specialized commitment to take a Vince Young. Think about it...at this time last year, had anyone between the #10 and #20 area seriously considered and therefore evaluated Aaron Rodgers? No, they all took it for granted that Rodgers was top 5. Taking a QB in the first round was some OTHER team's problem to consider, not theirs.

Similarly, how seriously are the Phins or any team above us evaluating Vince Young at the moment? Don't they all just assume he goes #1 to the Texans, #2 to the Saints, or #3 to the Titans? They probably assume #4 to the Jets too.

All it would take for Vince to be available #16 might be a snub from the Titans in favor of Cutler.

ckparrothead said:
All it would take for Vince to be available #16 might be a snub from the Titans in favor of Cutler.

I would still be concerned over Millen in Detroit picking him at #9 (he is crazy enough to do it).

And if Culpepper is traded to Oak, I wouldnt be surprised to see Minn move up and grap him. Let Brad run the show for a year, and perhaps they feel VY is an upgrade over Dante.

But other than those two...yeah its possible VY could slide to #16 if all the other teams dont plan for the possiblity as you say.

ckparrothead said:
The problem is that he is different from normal QBs. So different that a coordinator is going to have to design a whole new system to take advantage of his talents.

How many coordinators would be willing to do that? How many head coaches have their systems in place and think, I'll be danged if we're going to scrap the system we have been working to build for one guy. It doesn't even have to be that strong a feeling, it just becomes awfully easy to weigh on the one side upheaving everything to bring in Vince Young, vs. on the other side some prospect you may have already been looking at that allows you to keep the status quo.

Not to mention all the teams that feel they HAVE a QB.

Remember what happened to Rodgers last year? Basically because he got snubbed by the 49ers, Dolphins, Browns, and Bucs, he spiraled all the way to #24 because nobody else had thought seriously or prepared themselves for the eventuality that they could draft a QB in the first round. It takes a special commitment to draft a first round QB, even MORE of a specialized commitment to take a Vince Young. Think about it...at this time last year, had anyone between the #10 and #20 area seriously considered and therefore evaluated Aaron Rodgers? No, they all took it for granted that Rodgers was top 5. Taking a QB in the first round was some OTHER team's problem to consider, not theirs.

Similarly, how seriously are the Phins or any team above us evaluating Vince Young at the moment? Don't they all just assume he goes #1 to the Texans, #2 to the Saints, or #3 to the Titans? They probably assume #4 to the Jets too.

You bring up a good point. I had thought about it earlier actually. Sometimes when a player drops below where he was supposed to go, he free falls becasue other teams aren't prepared and haven't done the full evaluation. No matter who is there, you never take a guy you didn't evaluate in the 1st round because teams get worried that there is somehting wrong that others know and that's why he's slipping. Only if you've done a complete evaluation to you feel comfortable taking the guy knowing there's nothing wrong with him.

I've said before, for one of the top 3 QB's to drop to us all that needs to happen is Arizona trades for Pepper without giving Minny this year's 1st (maybe a 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year that can be a 1st) and Detroit picking up or trading for a good veteran. Millen's job's on the line this year so I don't think he wants to count on a rookie. If Tennessee takes a QB then Detroit could trade for Volek who can get the ball vertical the way Millen wants.

If those two things happen then I figured we could have a shot at Cutler but if Cutler goes to Tennessee then suddenly the Raiders come into play because as much as they like Walters and would like to give him a chance to develop before using a high 1st on a QB, it would be real tough for a guy like Al Davis to pass on Vince Young's flash factor.

If Young does fall to us, I would be ecstatic.

ckparrothead said:
The real question is if Young were on the board at #16, would you take him there?

That's a very real possibility.

thats a bigger possibility than most think...and if he is there at sixteen...to the highest bidder he goes

PhinSoldia said:
thats a bigger possibility than most think...and if he is there at sixteen...to the highest bidder he goes

if he's there .... to us he goes.

We need a QB more than any other position. I say do whatever it takes. If he needs to package my dog and wife into it to get the right QB, then go ahead! Whatever it takes. Be assertive.

I'm not saying the above about only Young. It's about whatever QB Saban believes in. Saban is Noah and he's building the ark. Our dreams are on his shoulders!

Back
Top Bottom