Whatever happened to Jay Brophy? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Whatever happened to Jay Brophy?

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I remember in 1984 he had been a pretty high draft pick and came in and started a lot of games. But the last issue of Dolphin Digest talked about former Hurricanes drafted by the Dolphins and that only Bobby Harden (I think) played more than 2 season with the Dolphins. So does anyone know what became of Brophy? Just curious.
Thanks

History

Dolphin Historian Here. Brophy was released in the 86 training camp. He was drafted in the second round of 84. He started those two seasons 84 and 85 out of desperation. Duhe was hurt in 84. Ernie Rhone was old and he also came down with the flu that season and lost 20 pounds. The number one draft pick in 84 was also an inside LB Jackie Shipp. He sucked so bad that never played in 84 and was not any good in 85 either. Both Brophy and Shipp never should had been drafted. The defense started to slide in 84 and 85. In 86 in was a complete collaspe, worst in the league dead last in every way. The D coach was in 83 Bill Armsparger=Great. In 84 - 86 Chuck Studley=Very Bad. Of course then 87 - 95 Tommy Olvidotti=sucks. Don Shula had the call over who was drafted/when also trades. Give him credit for the passing offense we put together but the defense was sad. Back to the inside linebackers in those days Mark Brown was a phisycal mauler but could not cover a lick. Mark Brown was good value because he was drafted in the 8th round in 83. However Montana smoked him and Brophy in the 84 SB.

brent said:
Dolphin Historian Here. Brophy was released in the 86 training camp. He was drafted in the second round of 84. He started those two seasons 84 and 85 out of desperation. Duhe was hurt in 84. Ernie Rhone was old and he also came down with the flu that season and lost 20 pounds. The number one draft pick in 84 was also an inside LB Jackie Shipp. He sucked so bad that never played in 84 and was not any good in 85 either. Both Brophy and Shipp never should had been drafted. The defense started to slide in 84 and 85. In 86 in was a complete collaspe, worst in the league dead last in every way. The D coach was in 83 Bill Armsparger=Great. In 84 - 86 Chuck Studley=Very Bad. Of course then 87 - 95 Tommy Olvidotti=sucks. Don Shula had the call over who was drafted/when also trades. Give him credit for the passing offense we put together but the defense was sad. Back to the inside linebackers in those days Mark Brown was a phisycal mauler but could not cover a lick. Mark Brown was good value because he was drafted in the 8th round in 83. However Montana smoked him and Brophy in the 84 SB.

Jackie shipped sucked so bad that I don't think he started for us. Jackie didnt play all downs I believe but he was kinda slow and couldn't tackle for crap. I didn't know why this player was drafted so high.

Historian Here

He did start. Some In 85 as well in 86, 87, and 88. Plan B'ed in offseason of 89. He signed with the Raider's. Between Shipp, Brophy, John Bosa, Eric Kumerow, Rick Graph, George Little, Mike Charles all high round BUSTS. It is really amazing that they stayed .500.(Major Props to Dano). The only high round pick in those days that panned was John Offerdal 2nd 86 and Javis Williams in 2nd of 88. Louis Oliver was good pick in 1st of 89. Then you throw in the A. Carter trade for Robin Senlien and high picks for Hugh Green (blow out knee in early 86)

Back
Top Bottom