Whatever Happened To Robert Edwards? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Whatever Happened To Robert Edwards?

I didn't want to dazzle you.

gator_sensation said:
"You have been a member since Nov 2004 and this is your first post! :eek:"
I am not charactorized by haste.

It's concept

Agua said:
"What you said about 'should have known I'd get injured', applies to everyone who plays football, yet no one has ever successfully sued a professional football team for an on the field injury (as far as I know, no nfl player has ever sued a franchise for an on the field injury, period, successfully or unsuccessfully). If that were allowed, there never be football to begin with."
I think the reasoning, valid or not was that Edwards injury was so extravagant. Players have sued by the way, and I think they've won. I believe O.J. McDuffie sued us, or one of the teams he played with saying he was pushed back into the game too quickly shortening his career.

dominizzo said:
Is he still around or did he retire, he was very good with Miami , i know he came back after a surgery or amputation but did any of you know if hes avalable or retired?

:roflmao:

This place is classic!
Coming back from amputation is nothing these days with technology. :roflmao:

Robert Edwards.......... the Six Million Dollar RB!

On a serious note, if I can compose myself after reading that, I really liked Edwards and thought he'd stick when he was with us. Obviously the Phins just didn't trust that knee.

Finger not fin...

igor79 said:
"ronnie lott did it"
Yeah, part of his finger, not his leg below the knee. That's where Robert almost lost his.

Prakk said:
I think the reasoning, valid or not was that Edwards injury was so extravagant. Players have sued by the way, and I think they've won. I believe O.J. McDuffie sued us, or one of the teams he played with saying he was pushed back into the game too quickly shortening his career.

OJ is different. Accoring to OJ, the severity of his injury was kept from him. That's not the same thing.

Now, HIGH SCHOOL, and maybe some college players, have sued for injuries that occur when the conduct complained rises to recklessness, such as conducint hitting practices without helmets or without pads, but when the risk is inherent in the activity and the injured person appreciated the severity of the risk and the harm that could result from the risk, they can't recover for such injuries. If "everyone knew" he'd get injured, and likely permanently, he knew it as well, and assumed the risk of it happening. You can't recover for that.

Agua said:
"OJ is different. Accoring to OJ, the severity of his injury was kept from him. That's not the same thing."
Whatcha wanna bet our team doctor was saying, "I'm not even going to get close to an another injury on Edwards knee?" His basis for saying so would be that if it could EVER be implied that he colored his description of it's condition that Edwards attorney could eat his lunch in court? Edwards had become a minor public figure over the injury. It's a hot potato and enough has been said in the press to make the trial a test case. Believe me, there's a bunch of attorneys out there somewhere that don't care if they pull down professional football's house.

Prakk said:
Whatcha wanna bet our team doctor was saying, "I'm not even going to get close to an another injury on Edwards knee?" His basis for saying so would be that if it could EVER be implied that he colored his description of it's condition that Edwards attorney could eat his lunch in court? Edwards had become a minor public figure over the injury. It's a hot potato and enough has been said in the press to make the trial a test case. Believe me, there's a bunch of attorneys out there somewhere that don't care if they pull down professional football's house.

That's a different thing though than the original principle you offered: "everyone knew that he'd get injured". Two different principles. One is a malpractice action against the physician and, vicariously, the team (or possibly, concealment by the organization). The other is against a team simply for giving him a job allowing him to participatie in a game he knowingly and willingly accepts the risk of injury. You can recover for the malpractice / concealment, but not for simply being hurt on the field in a football injury because your employer didn't stop you from playing.

Oh, it's a stretch Aqua, but that's what they were saying before Roe v. Wade.

Prakk said:
Oh, it's a stretch Aqua, but that's what they were saying before Roe v. Wade.

Sure man, but no lawyer is going to advise an NFL franchise not to pick up a player because they may be sued due to a risk of injury. I'm just saying that if that's what Jason Cole wrote, it's just him guessing at something he doesn't know anything about.

alright ill start it....yesterday it was "what happened to karim abdul jabbar..." who is next jarvis mcphail??????

I know Rob personally, he pledged my frat under me at UGA along with a bunch of other football players (Hines Ward, Marcus Stroud, Chris Terry). Although I haven't talked to him in a while, he is not retired but I would say he was incredibly frustrated with the lack of interest he got after he thought he showed he could still play in the NFL. He is a really good guy that I hope some NFL team gives him another chance.

Back
Top Bottom