What's Happened to Baker? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's Happened to Baker?

How quickly things change on this board. Preseason, Baker is a future star and McMillian is a bum. Now Baker isn't a fit and McMillian is the top linebacker in football according to PFF.

How quickly things change in football, like Russell Wilson in the playoffs and Melty Ice in the SB LOL!

Last edited:
Jason Taylor once said that Cam Cameron’s defense was embarrassingly simplistic. I fully expect that to come out about Flores when he’s gone. He’s trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by forcing this scheme on us instead of tailoring the defense to fit the limited strengths we have (like Shula or any other good coach would do). I mean we’ve forced 7 punts all year, allowed a 57.7 3rd down conversion rate, and are giving up historically bad yards and points. Still some are saying it’s not at least, on some part, on the coaching??? Seriously?

Jason Taylor once said that Cam Cameron’s defense was embarrassingly simplistic. I fully expect that to come out about Flores when he’s gone. He’s trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by forcing this scheme on us instead of tailoring the defense to fit the limited strengths we have (like Shula or any other good coach would do). I mean we’ve forced 7 punts all year, allowed a 57.7 3rd down conversion rate, and are giving up historically bad yards and points. Still some are saying it’s not at least, on some part, on the coaching??? Seriously?

I seem to remember those Shula defenses later in his career being historically bad.

Noone has ever accused a defensive coach from the Pats of being overly simplistic, so I doubt that will be the story. Whether Baker is being put in the best situations I can't really say, but he certainly has done himself few favors in one on one situations. The missed tackles and blown coverages are difficult to miss.

I seem to remember those Shula defenses later in his career being historically bad.

Noone has ever accused a defensive coach from the Pats of being overly simplistic, so I doubt that will be the story. Whether Baker is being put in the best situations I can't really say, but he certainly has done himself few favors in one on one situations. The missed tackles and blown coverages are difficult to miss.

Shula changed to a run heavy offense to a passing offense that torched and possibly started a change in the league. Arnsbarger ran the defense then olivadotti came in and ruined it when he left. Shula should’ve canned him but was loyal to his coaches to a fault.

Baker’s regression is a head scratcher to me. He looked good in the preseason, but you’re right, his poor play is hard to miss. My main beef with Flores is that he can’t tailor his defense around what he has now and implement what he’s more comfortable with after he signs and drafts players he needs. He also can’t scheme any kind of a pass rush, disguise coverages, or make any kind of adjustments at all. Then there’s the lack of ability to find a place for Minkah, McCain a free safety (are you kidding me), and I can’t for the life of me think of one player he has developed. Godchaux, and McMillan are about the same as last year, everybody else is worse.

The constant churning of players (more on the offensive side than defense) and lack of a pass rush has been huge factors in how poorly we've played on defense. Coming out of the bye week, it will be interesting to see if both units look better; our competition will be weaker and that should also play a role.

I have to agree that the lack of anything even resembling a pass rush makes everyone behind the front 4 a much worse player. It really all starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball. When you are average there, you will not succeed; when you are dreadful there, you are going to make everyone behind you look bad.

Remember not only does Miami have a serious talent issue on defense, they also made the switch from a 4-3 base to a 3-4 base and have a new coaching stall. New scheme, new coaching and no talent has to be a recipe for trouble.

Wasn't the DC under Cam Cameron, Dom Capers?

This was supposed to be a "multiple" defense. How much 3-4 are we actually running?

I dont see how we can blame any coach considering the talent level on offense or defense... This roster is built to fail, every key spot is bad or flat out not NFL material... Coaching matters, but you cant start backup level players all over the place and back them up with undrafted level players and expect to have any success...

This was obvious way before the season even started... There was all sorts of blind hope at that time, now that the hope is gone, someone must pay the price... I assure you, if you think anyone in this organization actually was planning on winning games this season, the coach is not the one who should wear a target on his back right now, its the GM...

I imagine moving from a 4-3 OLB to a 3-4 ILB is a big change. Add in the play calls and a larger area of responsibility in coverage may be causing him to think too much. I am more interested to see how he plays during the second half of the season.

I dont see how we can blame any coach considering the talent level on offense or defense... This roster is built to fail, every key spot is bad or flat out not NFL material... Coaching matters, but you cant start backup level players all over the place and back them up with undrafted level players and expect to have any success...

This was obvious way before the season even started... There was all sorts of blind hope at that time, now that the hope is gone, someone must pay the price... I assure you, if you think anyone in this organization actually was planning on winning games this season, the coach is not the one who should wear a target on his back right now, its the GM...

Grier’s seat should be an inferno but we all know it’s not. He tore down the roster and accumulated draft picks as mandated. I don’t want him anywhere near our draft room, but he’ll be there regardless.

Flores should not be given a free pass either. What exactly has he done to give you faith that this is the guy to bring us back to relevance??? There’s nothing creative or even slightly innovative from him and his coaches so far. If he at least had or playing hard or even disciplined football that would be something , but we’re still that lazy undisciplined team we’ve been even though we’ve jettisoned almost half the roster. So unless we see some positive quality, other than surviving a bad roster, he needs to go too.

Grier’s seat should be an inferno but we all know it’s not. He tore down the roster and accumulated draft picks as mandated. I don’t want him anywhere near our draft room, but he’ll be there regardless.

Flores should not be given a free pass either. What exactly has he done to give you faith that this is the guy to bring us back to relevance??? There’s nothing creative or even slightly innovative from him and his coaches so far. If he at least had or playing hard or even disciplined football that would be something , but we’re still that lazy undisciplined team we’ve been even though we’ve jettisoned almost half the roster. So unless we see some positive quality, other than surviving a bad roster, he needs to go too.
Least penalties in all of football. Seems pretty disciplined to me. But please continue tearing down a guy that's had 4 games with arguably the worst roster in the salary cap era.

Last edited:
He’s not exactly a scheme fit. For example, look how Raekwon was looking like a bust until this year.

Back
Top Bottom