What's Happened to Baker? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's Happened to Baker?

Least penalties in all of football. Seems pretty disciplined to me. But please continue tearing down a guy that's had 4 games with arguably the worst roster in the salary cap era.

touché on the penalty stats! so at least there’s that, a glimmer of hope.

I’m not so sure about the roster comment. The 07 team, though decimated with injuries,had a worse roster yet still put together some competitive games. I hope Flores can beat Washington and fight hard against the bengals, jets, and giants. 16 straight blowouts should not be tolerated regardless of the excuse.

All is good. Baker was named Defensive Tank Commander......Captain. He has mastered the game plan.

touché on the penalty stats! so at least there’s that, a glimmer of hope.

I’m not so sure about the roster comment. The 07 team, though decimated with injuries,had a worse roster yet still put together some competitive games. I hope Flores can beat Washington and fight hard against the bengals, jets, and giants. 16 straight blowouts should not be tolerated regardless of the excuse.
Thanks. I kinda got lucky there as I thought we weren't committing a lot of penalties compared to other years, but I didn't realize it was that low. Even with the injuries, its arguable that this is a worse roster. That team still had Taylor, Porter, Carey at LT, Ginn who even though a rookie was at least a burner, Booker (better than any WR we have now) and Brown for 6 games at least. I think if we still had Tunsil, Stills and Fitz, the teams would be pretty comparable.

I won't fully judge this coaching staff until they have some more pieces to make the schemes work. If there haven't been improvements after an offseason talent infusion, then you can question the coaching staff. I think many of us fans, even while acknowledging how poor the roster was coming into the offseason, had hopes that the "Patriots South" coaching staff could somehow turn chicken &%&# into chicken salad, but Charles Harris is still Charles Harris at the end of the day. You can scheme all you want, but at some point, it's about physically beating the man in front of you. We just don't have players who can do that on any level of consistency. Takes No Talent (TNT) is a nice mantra for culture change, but that's all it is.

I won't fully judge this coaching staff until they have some more pieces to make the schemes work. If there haven't been improvements after an offseason talent infusion, then you can question the coaching staff. I think many of us fans, even while acknowledging how poor the roster was coming into the offseason, had hopes that the "Patriots South" coaching staff could somehow turn chicken &%&# into chicken salad, but Charles Harris is still Charles Harris at the end of the day. You can scheme all you want, but at some point, it's about physically beating the man in front of you. We just don't have players who can do that on any level of consistency. Takes No Talent (TNT) is a nice mantra for culture change, but that's all it is.

I don't see the scheme on D. Limited stunts and twists. Not many blitzes. It's hard to scheme guys when there's no apparent scheme. That said, fewer penalties, fewer players running around cluelessly pre-snap, and fewer instances of 3 DBs on one receiver. Coaching staff has made improvements, but not as many as expected.

Baker? I'd like to see him more in blitz packages.

he’s wearing ‘the helmet’... lot different getting calls and setting the table... even tho it’s still 1st-course vanilla, everyone’s playing a couple steps slow..

Until we can develop some sort of a pass rush (even an average one), everyone will look bad except for the DTs and MLB... (as their job is just to thump whatever is in the middle)

Without a pass rush, everyone else has to do too much, for too long. The modern pass-happy NFL REQUIRES a pass rush... requires it.

Least penalties in all of football. Seems pretty disciplined to me. But please continue tearing down a guy that's had 4 games with arguably the worst roster in the salary cap era.

Wow! I never would have guessed that. Seven of them are Defensive Holding which one can argue is directly related to lack of talent.

Thanks for posting.

I had Baker as the 116th overall player in his class, because his instincts were a significant concern coming out of Ohio State. His instincts are still bad, but when he's running the wrong way, he makes good time. I hoped I was wrong and that his youth was a major reason we didn't see his instincts develop in college, but players - regardless of position - don't usually improve their instincts in a meaningful way. Good defenders find the ball.

I had Baker as the 116th overall player in his class, because his instincts were a significant concern coming out of Ohio State. His instincts are still bad, but when he's running the wrong way, he makes good time. I hoped I was wrong and that his youth was a major reason we didn't see his instincts develop in college, but players - regardless of position - don't usually improve their instincts in a meaningful way. Good defenders find the ball.
The irony is that his old Buckeye linebacker teammate, Raekwon McMillan, has very good instincts and very high intelligence) but lacks the explosive speed that Baker possesses. This year Raekwon is mainly in for the plays to stop the run.

The irony is that his old Buckeye linebacker teammate, Raekwon McMillan, has very good instincts and very high intelligence) but lacks the explosive speed that Baker possesses. This year Raekwon is mainly in for the plays to stop the run.

Exactly... he is an old-school, downhill MLB type. Those who insulted him wanted him to be something he wasn't... an outside linebacker.

L. Tunsil, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Stills, Juwuan James....Cam Wake....Gore.....Robert Quinn....

1 elite player, 2-3 very good players in James Fitz etc and 2-3 decent NFL starters in Quinn, Stills etc.

We replaced them with whom again? Nobody....

4 of those 7 players are from Oline and Dline. we are beyond set up to fail this year. Flores gets a pass. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't even want to show his real system with this mess of a roster.

We were the least talented team in the league BEFORE the Tunsil/Stills trade....think about that...oh then we traded minkah as well..

Baker was never "good", he just flashed his elite speed. His problem since he came here is that he doesn't learn the playbook and doesn't know what he is supposed to do far too often, and gets repeatedly abused in the run game. While it's true he may not be as good of a scheme fit for the 3 man fronts we like to run, as it asks a lot of the LB's to be more physical, that's not the reason Baker isn't succeeding. The reasons are 1) that he's not putting enough time into learning/mastering his craft--which was a complaint about him back from his collegiate days, and 2) this defense is built on a much higher learning factor for its multiple looks, and relies most heavily on precision execution over physical attributes.

But I've been saying these things for a long time … people see him run fast and anoint him All-Pro off of one flash across the TV screen, so I've just stopped trying to point out the obvious anymore … some people just are never going to admit that the emperor has no clothes.

Back
Top Bottom