What's Not To Like About Soccer? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's Not To Like About Soccer?

As far as challenging, the whole idea that you cannot use your hands and still you are able to create the plays that are made in soccer speaks volumes to the amount of difficulty there is to play this game on an elite level. Football generally is more sided to the natural physical specimens. Sure you will get a short, grind it out type of player in the bunch, but in general, genetics eliminates 90% of the players who are successful in this game. In soccer, anybody can play this game, and it's a game where you can become as skilled as you need to be to be successful.

I agree it's difficult, all sports are difficult if you want to be elite. But as you said, anyone can play soccer. Anyone cannot play football, it's just too tough, too physically demanding, too punishing, and often for some players too mentally challenging because you do actually have to be smart to play,..dumb players just won't pick up the scheme and react fast enough. Smarter you are, faster you can react, and speed is everything in football.

I agree genetics plays a part in football. But I look at a lot of soccer players, and I see genetics at work there as well. They have a certain shape to them, the legs and buttocks. Every sport favors certain anatomy, even if it's slight, and when it comes to competing at the elite level any small advantage is actually huge.

I agree it's difficult, all sports are difficult if you want to be elite. But as you said, anyone can play soccer. Anyone cannot play football, it's just too tough, too physically demanding, too punishing, and often for some players too mentally challenging because you do actually have to be smart to play,..dumb players just won't pick up the scheme and react fast enough. Smarter you are, faster you can react, and speed is everything in football.

I agree genetics plays a part in football. But I look at a lot of soccer players, and I see genetics at work there as well. They have a certain shape to them, the legs and buttocks. Every sport favors certain anatomy, even if it's slight, and when it comes to competing at the elite level any small advantage is actually huge.

Always leave it to a gal to watch the guy's buttocks. Just joking/lol.

No disrespect in any way meant for the great condition of soccer players. However, the world record for running 10 miles is just over 26 minutes, with no one else being close. Runners, not in any competition do it in 40-45 minutes. All times are based on running constantly with no breaks. How are soccer players better than that?

I do not see 150 bursts in the vast majority of matches. For some fun, tell me a game to record and watch the bursts to get a rough count.

There is no way the world record for 10 miles is around 26 minutes. The world record for one mile is just under 4 minutes . . . so 10 miles would be atleast 40 minutes + probably closer to 50 minutes.

There is a lot of research in general on the multifaceted workout an average soccer match. Players in the midfield can average up to 150 high intensity bursts per match. I mean you are talking 15m sprints or so . . . but over the course of 90 minutes, plus the consistent walk/job it requires quite the athlete, it's a lot that is required. Plus you have to factor in ball control, kicking, accuracy, air agility plus the physical grind of bumping into players and making tackles . . . it's not to take anything away from your average runner . . . but soccer is a different animal all together. One requires pace (running) the other requires a little bit of everything.

As far as the type of game to watch, I wouldn't necessarily watch a possession oriented team like Germany/Spain to see this, not in this hot World Cup. You will see it from countries that are more used to conditions like this. South American, African, Central American, etc.

There is no way the world record for 10 miles is around 26 minutes. The world record for one mile is just under 4 minutes . . . so 10 miles would be atleast 40 minutes + probably closer to 50 minutes.

There is a lot of research in general on the multifaceted workout an average soccer match. Players in the midfield can average up to 150 high intensity bursts per match. I mean you are talking 15m sprints or so . . . but over the course of 90 minutes, plus the consistent walk/job it requires quite the athlete, it's a lot that is required. Plus you have to factor in ball control, kicking, accuracy, air agility plus the physical grind of bumping into players and making tackles . . . it's not to take anything away from your average runner . . . but soccer is a different animal all together. One requires pace (running) the other requires a little bit of everything.

As far as the type of game to watch, I wouldn't necessarily watch a possession oriented team like Germany/Spain to see this, not in this hot World Cup. You will see it from countries that are more used to conditions like this. South American, African, Central American, etc.

DEAD Wrong, took a google answer for fact without thinking. The record is 45 minutes+.

I spent five years as a kid in Europe, one in Belgium and four in Italy. They showed Series A Italian games and German Bundesliga games every week. I love Juventus and Bayern Munich. Soccer is way better than watching golf, bowling, cricket and many other sports. You appreciate the skills, passes, and strategy.

That's probably part of it but personally not being able to use your hands other than goalie was the reason I never got into it. Hand eye coordination is essential in almost every other sport especially the one's I play like golf now or baseball , football , wrestling in high school. Not to be able to use one's hands is really difficult and for me not much fun.
I do enjoy watching it in the World Cup and Olympics.

Another answer would be as Americans we could give a **** what the rest of the world does sports wise. A game were 3 points is a solid offensive output and ties are celebrated goes against everything we hold dear.

Wonder if any other country has "soccer moms" At least we probably lead the world in that category :up:

But in baseball we celebrate a no hitter and we watch pitchers take hours to throw the dam ball. On the boredom scale baseball is by far more boring than soccer.
Plus, if you look at some pf the players in baseball they are the most out of shape son of a bitches you will see in any sport.

But in baseball we celebrate a no hitter and we watch pitchers take hours to throw the dam ball. On the boredom scale baseball is by far more boring than soccer.
Plus, if you look at some pf the players in baseball they are the most out of shape son of a bitches you will see in any sport.

He isn't wrong, by any stretch. Baseball was headed towards a huge downward spiral post strike, football was rising and basketball had Michael Jordan, and what arguably saved it was the HGH era and the explosion of the longball with McGwire and Sosa. Baseball had once again become a top sport in the eyes of viewers.

But I'm with you, baseball has stretches that end up being a very boring watch. It's definitely a sport where you can multi task while viewing.

I dont watch soccer, but I wouldnt call it boring. Its boring for ME, but then again I dont understand the intricacies. On the other hand, I love baseball. I played it for years. I understand the game. Many of the people who say baseball is boring dont have a full grasp of the game. I imagine its the same with soccer.

Theres something funny about americans calling football/soccer a dull slow game when baseball is one of your national sports lol

Alright soccer aficionados explain this headline to me.

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/2014/06/us-loses-to-portugal-2-2/373195/

Tyler was right. I guess if I understood all the details soccer would be more fun.

That headline
[h=1]U.S. Loses to Portugal 2-2 in World Cup Heartbreaker[/h]
is for us Americans only. This nation hates ties and there always has to be a winner. It is to attract all those baseball fans who call soccer dull yet love to sit through a 4 hour 15 inning 1-0 game with 1 hit and call it a great baseball game because there was a winner. :lol:

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

I dont watch soccer, but I wouldnt call it boring. Its boring for ME, but then again I dont understand the intricacies. On the other hand, I love baseball. I played it for years. I understand the game. Many of the people who say baseball is boring dont have a full grasp of the game. I imagine its the same with soccer.

I know rules and strategies in baseball just as well as in soccer. Baseball is still boring.

Theres something funny about americans calling football/soccer a dull slow game when baseball is one of your national sports lol

Its ironic the reason alot of people in Europe dont like American football its because they think the NFL is slow and dull.

Run a play, wait 40 seconds, run a play, commercial break, etc.

That headline
is for us Americans only. This nation hates ties and there always has to be a winner.

ifatieislikekissingyoursisterlosingislik-1.jpg

:brewskis:

Back
Top Bottom