What's Not To Like About Soccer? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's Not To Like About Soccer?

Just curious as to how many not caring for soccer have been to a game in person?

I ask because, living in South Beach, I meet many from all over the world and have seen some kiinda strange things. MANY Cubans love the Heat and Dolphins more than baseball, which they were raised on. Many from Europe and South America loved football after going to a game. One funny story was going to a Phins game with a Russian developer last year. He got up screaming for a red card on two different hits before understanding that was not gonna happen. lol A week later, he had done his homework on the computer, and could not wait to go again.

Then there are the NFL games in Mexico and England, which could sell out 10 times over. Maybe American fans should look into how soccer id played before saying how boring it is. Just a thought.

Just curious as to how many not caring for soccer have been to a game in person?

I ask because, living in South Beach, I meet many from all over the world and have seen some kiinda strange things. MANY Cubans love the Heat and Dolphins more than baseball, which they were raised on. Many from Europe and South America loved football after going to a game. One funny story was going to a Phins game with a Russian developer last year. He got up screaming for a red card on two different hits before understanding that was not gonna happen. lol A week later, he had done his homework on the computer, and could not wait to go again.

Then there are the NFL games in Mexico and England, which could sell out 10 times over. Maybe American fans should look into how soccer id played before saying how boring it is. Just a thought.

I have watched soccer, it bores me. I am sure live it would be better b/c to beat the boredom the fans are chanting and doing other things but it's not for me. I'd like to go to a WC game or some big European game some day, it won't convert me but it would be nice to experience.

I went to games in Italy and it completely changed my view from apathy (certainly not hatred) to love. The only sports event that I've been to that comes close to rivaling the experience both pre-match and in-stadium was a Saints playoff game in New Orleans. The soccer match was just a regular one.

[video=youtube;KDg5YB3T-3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDg5YB3T-3k[/video]

The fans make it crazy. I love this. Think it is absolutely awesome.

I went to games in Italy and it completely changed my view from apathy (certainly not hatred) to love. The only sports event that I've been to that comes close to rivaling the experience both pre-match and in-stadium was a Saints playoff game in New Orleans. The soccer match was just a regular one.

That must have been some fun. Did you know the language?

I lived in N'Awlins for 2 years, and went to 12 games. Say no more.

That must have been some fun. Did you know the language?

I lived in N'Awlins for 2 years, and went to 12 games. Say no more.

Yeah, I had a pretty good grasp of the language by that point, but I certainly didn't need it.

As for NOLA, not sure how long ago it was for you, but did you ever pre-game at Lucy's? Do it if you ever get the chance. Reasonable walking (stumbling) distance to the dome and tons of fun.

Yeah, I had a pretty good grasp of the language by that point, but I certainly didn't need it.

As for NOLA, not sure how long ago it was for you, but did you ever pre-game at Lucy's? Do it if you ever get the chance. Reasonable walking (stumbling) distance to the dome and tons of fun.

Aside from stumbling distance to the dome what I loved was a taxi being there pretty much when you hung up the phone. Think they have like the third most cabs in the country, and they are used by all.

Aside from stumbling distance to the dome what I loved was a taxi being there pretty much when you hung up the phone. Think they have like the third most cabs in the country, and they are used by all.

I think I need a NOLA trip now. :lol:

I think I need a NOLA trip now. :lol:

Yeah, the Café Du Monde for breakfast, great food, drink, and jazz would be a great thing. If it were not so damn hot (this coming from Miami), I may have gone there next week. The heat at this time is absolutely brutal.

It is likely as bad or worse that playing in the rain forests of Brazil.

Yeah, the Café Du Monde for breakfast, great food, drink, and jazz would be a great thing. If it were not so damn hot (this coming from Miami), I may have gone there next week. The heat at this time is absolutely brutal.

It is likely as bad or worse that playing in the rain forests of Brazil.

Mmmmmmmm, beignets and cafe au lait! The floor is stickier than fly paper from all of the powdered sugar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Mia Hamm and her crew put women's soccer on the map,....and they kicked but in the Olympics. So it wasn't that the US wasn't very good at it, it was that the US doesn't promote women's sports. So the team came back to the US, and after a while was dismantled.

Not to get too off-topic here, but is that really the reason women’s sports aren’t popular here?

Isn’t it up to the women to support women’s sports? It seems like American women are largely apathetic to sports, and even more-so to women's sports. I'd be interested to see a demographic split between males and females who watch the WNBA. I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of it was men. A vast majority of the ESPN demographic is 18-49 year old males. So naturally they cater to said demographic. If as many women watched the WNBA as men watched the NBA, then ESPN and other networks would devote more coverage to it. I have to believe it’s more a natural product of supply and demand than male chauvinism.

Women’s tennis seems to be the lone sport that generates as much, if not more interest than it’s men’s counterpart here in the U.S. As a result of the demand, networks cover and promote women’s tennis.

Sunday's U.S. Open final between Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka drew the highest overnight ratings for a U.S. Open women's final in 11 years—a 4.9 rating—which was higher than the men’s final's ratings on Monday. Rafael Nadal's four-set win over Novak Djokovic, also broadcast on CBS, earned a 2.8 overnight rating, according to Sports Business Daily.

So I think we have a chicken and the egg scenario. Do women not care because networks don't cover it, or do networks not cover it because women don't care?

Not to get too off-topic here, but is that really the reason women’s sports aren’t popular here?

Isn’t it up to the women to support women’s sports? It seems like American women are largely apathetic to sports, and even more-so to women's sports. I'd be interested to see a demographic split between males and females who watch the WNBA. I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of it was men. A vast majority of the ESPN demographic is 18-49 year old males. So naturally they cater to said demographic. If as many women watched the WNBA as men watched the NBA, then ESPN and other networks would devote more coverage to it. I have to believe it’s more a natural product of supply and demand than male chauvinism.

Women’s tennis seems to be the lone sport that generates as much, if not more interest than it’s men’s counterpart here in the U.S. As a result of the demand, networks cover and promote women’s tennis.

I cheer like hell for the women's sports, especially soccer, skating, and hockey. My wife, daughters, and granddaughters couldn't give a flying crap save my youngest daughter. Women don't follow sports here too much and its too bad because we have some amazing athletes and sports here in the US.

Mmmmmmmm, beignets and cafe au lait! The floor is stickier than fly paper from all of the powdered sugar.

LOL but, there is no place in the world better for donuts and chicory coffee.

I still order Community Coffee to be shipped in. I like their New Orleans blend and although I typically don't like flavored coffee, I love their Carnivale Cake blend.

Wait, what were we talking about again? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom