What's Not To Like About Soccer? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's Not To Like About Soccer?

I still order Community Coffee to be shipped in. I like their New Orleans blend and although I typically don't like flavored coffee, I love their Carnivale Cake blend.

Wait, what were we talking about again? :lol:

Yeah, back to soccer and Team USA.

That being said, I'm watching the WC (only) when the US is playing partly because I find it humorous when we beat another nation that lives & dies with the result in a "niche" sport to us. :chuckle:

You may want to rethink that. The new generation is very soccer oriented. PLus MLS average is approaching 20,000 per game. 5 MLS teams already outdraw some of the MLB teams. I think this years WC will do more for US soccer than any other. This teams leaves everything out there and keeps on fighting. I see a real good chance for the US to advance and the last 16 is manageable. Possible opponents: Belgium, Algeria, Russia or South Korea.

I cheer like hell for the women's sports, especially soccer, skating, and hockey. My wife, daughters, and granddaughters couldn't give a flying crap save my youngest daughter. Women don't follow sports here too much and its too bad because we have some amazing athletes and sports here in the US.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ronda Rousey is a budding superstar

I think the notion that soccer is "slow" is very overblown. I mean think about it. A football game is 60 minutes and normally takes 3 hours to finish. A soccer game is 90 minutes and takes less than 2 hours to finish. So a sport that is 30 minutes longer takes over an hour less to finish.

I get the buildup in the midfield, and the passing back and forth can be a strategical bore at times, but I think the execution of a team's plan in soccer is easily the most exciting aspect of any sport in the world. It's like chess, you have to look beyond the pieces in the present and see the moves in advance to understand the quality being put on display and I think then people can appreciate the sport more.

I played soccer for roughly 7 years and was one of the top goalkeepers in the FYSA during that period, so maybe I appreciate it more than the average American but it's the ultimate "team" game.

Look I can't convince people into liking something or not. Hell I'm a sports nut, I enjoy watching golf, horse racing, tennis . . . hell I've even put in time watching Tour de France (actually camped out to watch a stage while in Belgium) and Formula One . . . and at times I find these sports more entertaining than American Football.

I love my Dolphins, hell I'm not on a U.S. national soccer board or a Miami Heat board or a Marlins board talking about the World Cup, I'm on the board of the team I love more than any team in the world . . . . but soccer gets a bad rap in this country and I'm glad this country is starting to embrace it.

Every play in the NFL has the potential of being a scoring play. It's hardly ever boring. Soccer on the other hand is completely boring. I don't even know how the two could ever be compared.

But you are a baseball fan.....:lol:
Yeah baseball is so much more exciting.

I'm watching the Nats and Brewers as I type this. I've played baseball since I was 5. I appreciate it. It's also a sport where if you fail to hit the ball 7 out of 10 at bats you're considered a good hitter. Always remember the Jimmy Dugan quote from 'A League of Their Own' in referring to baseball and it's difficulty:

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great."

I dont watch soccer, but I wouldnt call it boring. Its boring for ME, but then again I dont understand the intricacies. On the other hand, I love baseball. I played it for years. I understand the game. Many of the people who say baseball is boring dont have a full grasp of the game. I imagine its the same with soccer.

Agreed. I'd almost guarantee that any who played or played soccer is loving the hell out of the World Cup. That's fine. I have no problem with that. Soccer is boring to me b/c I never had much history with it and don't care about the strategy behind it.

I have watched soccer, it bores me. I am sure live it would be better b/c to beat the boredom the fans are chanting and doing other things but it's not for me. I'd like to go to a WC game or some big European game some day, it won't convert me but it would be nice to experience.

Agreeing with Junc on everything not the Jets makes me feel funny. Anyway, I've never been to a soccer game b/c I have no interest to. Maybe if it was a free ticket and I could drink for free too then yeah?

it's a big event and people care even though most don't like soccer, when MLS ratings are that high I'll take notice.

I would say european/south american tv ratings are much higher than mls, the amount of yanks on twitter following english/spanish teams is unreal. Dont really see much mls talk

How do I put this gently?.... MLS sucks!, I'd rather watch women's softball than MLS.:crazy:

The reason people don't watch MLS is because the talent level isn't there with the Euro leagues. Put it this way, how many people around the world are watching a Chinese basketball league, or a Japanese baseball league? They watch the NBA and MLB because that is where the best players are. When the MLS acquires better talent, people will begin to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason people don't watch MLS is because the talent level isn't there with the Euro leagues. Put it this way, how many people around the world are watching a Chinese basketball league, or a Japanese baseball league? They watch the NBA and MLB because that is where the best players are. When the MLS acquires better talent, people will begin to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. It's not rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom