What's our plan at RB? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's our plan at RB?

I know but we can't fill every hole through the draft. We need to spend some money too.
I would think we sign a top tier gaurd, for sure, and maybe two. We may look at RB, and secondary help, as well. We aslo need DL depth, and FA is a good place for that.

I'm not saying we won't look at tackles, but I don't expect any big name signing there.

I'd draft Dobbins at 39 if he's there. I believe he'll be the best RB of this class. I can understand if they want to wait till the 3rd round but I don't want to put this off. Last time we had a great RB was Ricky Williams. Yes a good OL helps but I want a top RB to take some pressure off whichever young QB we draft.
Dobbins has been my fav rb of this class for months. I too have 2a slated to take him!!

I would think we sign a top tier gaurd, for sure, and maybe two. We may look at RB, and secondary help, as well. We aslo need DL depth, and FA is a good place for that.

I'm not saying we won't look at tackles, but I don't expect any big name signing there.
The only way I consider a rb in FA is a Gurley situation. I need a pick in return.
Gurley, Dobbins, gaskins and laird would be a fine crew to roll with for a couple years. Drop Gurley after 2 years and draft another in that drafts 3rd round.

The only way I consider a rb in FA is a Gurley situation. I need a pick in return.
Gurley, Dobbins, gaskins and laird would be a fine crew to roll with for a couple years. Drop Gurley after 2 years and draft another in that drafts 3rd round.

I wasn't thinking a big name, top level back. I was thinking to add a "committee" type roll player.

I wouldn't be against Gurley, if we got a rd1 pick in return.

He is probably servicable for a year or two. I know he has knee issues, that likely prevent him from being a workhorse, 3 down back, but swallowing the big contract would be easier if he could be a good contributer, in addition to the pick.

I really doubt the Rams give a high pick to unload him though.

Normally I would advocate drafting a RB but Derrick Henry is special and my #1 FA. If Miami were to cut Wilson and Jones that would free up $17+ mil in cap space that could go to DH which should about cover his salary. Miami should definitely ease up on his use this year, but in 2021 and/or 2022 when the Dolphins are ready to make a playoff run they should catch a ride on the Henry mobile.

Miami would still have $90 mil in cap space which is more than enough for signing a couple of OL via FA along with drafting a few. Fans would be amazed how much better the OL looks when the QB is running play action using Henry and the opposing defense is worn out in the second half from trying to tackle DH.

Miami could still go after Tua and use the bulk of their picks building the defense.

I wasn't thinking a big name, top level back. I was thinking to add a "committee" type roll player.

I wouldn't be against Gurley, if we got a rd1 pick in return.

He is probably servicable for a year or two. I know he has knee issues, that likely prevent him from being a workhorse, 3 down back, but swallowing the big contract would be easier if he could be a good contributer, in addition to the pick.

I really doubt the Rams give a high pick to unload him though.
I think we can get thier second if we send a later pick in return. I'm with you on believing we can get 2 serviceable years out of Gurley. If we can grab thier 2nd I don't hesitate. I definitely use 2a to grab Dobbins as well.

I know but we can't fill every hole through the draft. We need to spend some money too.
Ideally, you wouldnt use the draft to plug holes at all IMO... My reasoning is there's really no way to predict if you're actually pluging that hole when you pick a player. FA is a more efficient way to plug holes as you have alot more information on the players you invest in. Its still not a 100% risk free proposition, but its better than prospects.

On top of that, some of your picks might take 2-3 years to develop and thats an eternity in the NFL, those holes you were trying to plug might be totally different by then, hell it might not even be the same offense defense systems by then.

If you'd only use the draft for valuable position groups and FA for plugging holes, you'd never be in cap hell as you'd constantly have the most [usually] expensive players on rookie contracts, that'd leave you with plenty of dough to fill cheaper position groups through FA.

A bad Melvin Gordon contract to be saddled with sounds like something miami would do.

o line must be the priority

you got $100 mil spend some of it to help keep you from getting fired with your ride or die rookie QB draft pick

I’d like to draft one or two personally. I like Cam Akers a lot, seems pretty talent and like FSU said he is good at delivering behind a bad OL... which we are used to having.. so that seems like a good fit, imagine him with better blocking? Was also a highly rated player coming out of HS.

If we draft Akers I’d hope it’s round 3 or 4. Hoping we could snag him later which is a big appeal to me, BUT, he could easily shoot right up boards.

But I certaintly wont be mad if we draft a rb earlier (granted, a good one). I dont want a rd 1 rb, but after that its game on. Ideally we dont need to use a premium pick on a rb. AJ dillon is another option brought up. Dude is big like Henry, but does he run the same? Idk if he has the same juice

I'd also add a rb in the 6th or 7th, since we have a bazillion picks and a late round rb is more likely to succeed than other positions, imo.

Back
Top Bottom