What's The Plan If Miami Goes Quarterback In The First? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's The Plan If Miami Goes Quarterback In The First?

If it was all data driven and the analysis came up the same regardless of evaluators, drafting would be quite easy and very accurate. It isn't..

No, it is not like that. Data does not lie. And that is the point of scouting and the GM's job, the one who is in charge of scouting. The problem is opinions, when scouts get into opinion.

I agree. The rub in that is "a special player" in who's opinion? Grier? Flores? You? Me? If Miami passes on Murray or anyone else, it may be because the FO doesn't see him as a "special player" in spite of fan's opinions.

If you don't think this kid is special... I don't know what to tell you and that goes for the FO as well.

Everyone knows this kid is special. Everyone.

If you mean to imply that they might not see him as special because all of the questions, I'm with you there.

A lot of concerns with the kid; height, experience, throwing motion, he may be a project. That may be the scare.

But that he's not special? I don't think it's debatable.

If you take a QB in the first two rounds this year, you have to give the guy 2 years...especially with a rebuilding team and first-year head coach. No way can you pick another one in the first round next year...

If you don't think this kid is special... I don't know what to tell you and that goes for the FO as well.

Everyone knows this kid is special. Everyone.

If you mean to imply that they might not see him as special because all of the questions, I'm with you there.

A lot of concerns with the kid; height, experience, throwing motion, he may be a project. That may be the scare.

But that he's not special? I don't think it's debatable.

RG3 was special

If you take a QB in the first two rounds this year, you have to give the guy 2 years...especially with a rebuilding team and first-year head coach. No way can you pick another one in the first round next year...

If you take a QB in the 2nd round let's say like the Panthers took Jimmy Clausen and the following year there was a generational talent at QB lets say like Cam Newton and you hold the 1st overall pick much like the Panthers did you absolutely do draft another one in the 1st round.

Obviously Newton hasn't turned into what many thought he would be but he's a whole lot better than Jimmy Clausen and as a prospect he was as impressive as they come.

At the end of the day you don't pass on Baker Mayfield because you drafted Chad Henne in the 2nd round the year before.

It's the biggest question of the offseason. If Miami drafts a quarterback early, how does that shape the remainder of the draft.?

Does anyone think there's a possibility that that Dolphins trade up? I could see a slight move up, but I do think the team holds onto that 2020 #1 pick. Will be interesting to see. I think Haskins will be the first quarterback off the board. Denver is said to be "locked into" Lock, but we know this is the time of the year for smokescreens. That could leave Jones and Murray as possibilities.

Personally, I'm not as high on Jones as others. I like aspects of his game, but not really sold at #13. Murray is a slam dunk IMO if he reaches #13. There could be concerns about how dedicated he is to football.

I think plan A for Miami is to build both the defensive and offensive lines in this draft. But you've got to know they are looking at all these quarterbacks. Grier even said something to the effect that things could change if they fall in love with one of the quarterbacks.

So, if it's a qb in the first does Miami's strategy shift more towards the offensive line than the defensive line?
Today's trade puts a blow into the Denver taking Lock pick but maybe they could still and groom him behind Flacco??? I'm not expecting much from the team as far as W's go in 2019 so if they take a QB, I hope it isn't by trading up, not in this QB class...

And you really cant make comparisons like that. Ryan leaf was atrocious so guys never draft a qb that high again. Get what im sayin?

Today's trade puts a blow into the Denver taking Lock pick but maybe they could still and groom him behind Flacco??? I'm not expecting much from the team as far as W's go in 2019 so if they take a QB, I hope it isn't by trading up, not in this QB class...
Well, if Miami trades up it likely means no #1 pick in 2020. So, you have to weigh Haskins or Lock versus maybe Tua. Although, a slight trade up could work and not cost the 2020 pick. It really comes down to what the Dolphins think of the quarterbacks. 2020 is certainly not guaranteed so that has to be factored in as well.

Agree. Depends on what DEN gives up.
Flacco just seems like a band-aide, although Denver has defensive talent. So, perhaps Elway thinks they can make a run with better quarterback play. I still think the Broncos take a quarterback pretty early.

I just saw Todd McShay's recent mock draft and he only has 2 QBs going in the first round, and Miami taking Murray at 13.

He's a good talent evaluator imo, and I usually trust his opinions on the draft more than anyone else.

Perhaps Miami does take Murray at 13 and it all works out (I have no idea don't watch these guys), I would be very excited with his selection, but fear he is simply too small to be a great QB at this level.

My dream draft scenario would now be to take a defensive stud @ 13 like Devin White, and wait until round 2 for Daniel Jones as I'm learning he will probably drop a bit due to lack of elite talent.

Daniel Jones would be an absolute steal in the second round however and would solidify the position for years to come, and also wouldn't deter a QB selection in the loaded 2020 class.

This defense needs more assets for Flores to shine, would love to see that become the strength of the team and there's going to be a stud available @ 13 to start that process.

Last edited:
After watching the insanely cringe worthy interviews of Murray I really hope they pass on him. He knew what questions he'd be asked regarding football and was completely unprepared. If he can't spend an hour to prep for some softball questions he doesn't seem mature enough to me to prep for an NFL game on Sunday.

Besides, his head isn't even completely in the game of football. Is that what you want from your leader?

If we draft him 1st round the only thing to do is pray the Fins draft another QB late and we get lucky with an RG3/Cousins sitisituan

Why not?

Because he is tiny. I know, but Brees.
He is small, even smaller than that.

He is a hell of an athlete, and good college player, but this is the NFL.

Even if we did take him, 1 season is not enough to judge IMO, so I'm not liking that plan.

Good? He won the Heisman, so he's actually "The Best" college player. Just sayin'.

Here's my thoughts. Stand pat at #13, if Murray is there you take him, if not look to trade back. If there are no decent deals available, take best DL/OL you have on the board

I agree 100%, only caveat is if Murray starts to slip to 10 I may try and make a good deal to go snag him.

After watching the insanely cringe worthy interviews of Murray I really hope they pass on him. He knew what questions he'd be asked regarding football and was completely unprepared. If he can't spend an hour to prep for some softball questions he doesn't seem mature enough to me to prep for an NFL game on Sunday.

Besides, his head isn't even completely in the game of football. Is that what you want from your leader?

If we draft him 1st round the only thing to do is pray the Fins draft another QB late and we get lucky with an RG3/Cousins sitisituan

Can't disagree more with the validity of this take. I'm not drafting a politician. I've seen a lot of good interviews from crap quarterbacks. I'd rather have a Heisman winning, blue chip, dynamic QB...and there is plenty of documentation on his leadership ability dating back to his Texas high-school days. The kid was born and bred for football.

I never thought of that. It could be.

If we're listing negatives, though, throw in all the rest. Each and everyone in the draft has negatives. His height, etc
Good? He won the Heisman, so he's actually "The Best" college player. Just sayin'.

I agree 100%, only caveat is if Murray starts to slip to 10 I may try and make a good deal to go snag him.

Can't disagree more with the validity of this take. I'm not drafting a politician. I've seen a lot of good interviews from crap quarterbacks. I'd rather have a Heisman winning, blue chip, dynamic QB...and there is plenty of documentation on his leadership ability dating back to his Texas high-school days. The kid was born and bred for football.

Preach!

Back
Top Bottom