What's The Plan If Miami Goes Quarterback In The First? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's The Plan If Miami Goes Quarterback In The First?

If you take a QB in the 2nd round let's say like the Panthers took Jimmy Clausen and the following year there was a generational talent at QB lets say like Cam Newton and you hold the 1st overall pick much like the Panthers did you absolutely do draft another one in the 1st round.

Obviously Newton hasn't turned into what many thought he would be but he's a whole lot better than Jimmy Clausen and as a prospect he was as impressive as they come.

At the end of the day you don't pass on Baker Mayfield because you drafted Chad Henne in the 2nd round the year before.
That's a great point. If you have a chance to upgrade at quarterback you simply have to do it. The position is so critical to the success of a franchise.

If Haskins falls to 13, I'd take him and build the team for the future around him. But he won't fall to 13.

Aside from Haskins there isn't a QB I'd take at 13.

I'd hope that Haskins, Murray, and Lock to go before us at 13 and then draft a guy like Ed Oliver, Montez Sweat, Devin White, or even an olinemen like Jonah Williams or Jawaan Taylor. Build the lines and go QB next year.

On data! It's a data collection business, the scouting. There is no opinion.

Does he have elite production? YES, he does.
Does he have elite pocket game? YES, he does.
Does he have elite arm? YES, he does.
Does he have an elite quick gun? YES< he does.

Anything else elite? The speed, he has elite speed.

Is he elite? YES, on data he is elite. That's all that matters in scouting. Then you get him to Flores, and Flores does with him what he wants. Flores will decide between a bunch of elite players you got him, based on data, which one has the competitiveness, the accuracy, the playmaking, etc to start for him. Flores can opine. Grier should not opine.

I guess we'll always disagree. "Data" is not a series of yes/no answers. "Data" is subjective which is why draft day is full of surprises. After all these decades, IF there were a clear universally accepted "data collection" system, it would be known. There isn't. It's analysis and judgment

I don’t think today’s Denver trade necessarily puts them out of the QB market. Think about last year, the Browns signed Tyrod Taylor but still drafted Baker. The Jets resigned McCown and signed Teddy Bridgewater but still drafted Darnold. And the Cardinals signed Bradford then traded up for Rosen.
IMO Denver now has the perfect situation to bring in a young pocket passer. Flacco is 34 ( I think ) what better way for a young QB to be eased into the NFL

If they get the QB... I would try to fill the holes on the O-line for sure to give the kid help....but it’s hard to not take a good player that falls that may be rated higher elsewhere.

So was Aaron Rodgers and how many teams passed?

Murray is a pocket passer if you are implying he tends to run more often than not.

No my point is you can't state absolutes that this kid is going to be elite at the nfl level. Not saying you did, but another poster did. You just never know until they get there.

If Haskins falls to 13, I'd take him and build the team for the future around him. But he won't fall to 13.

Aside from Haskins there isn't a QB I'd take at 13.

I'd hope that Haskins, Murray, and Lock to go before us at 13 and then draft a guy like Ed Oliver, Montez Sweat, Devin White, or even an olinemen like Jonah Williams or Jawaan Taylor. Build the lines and go QB next year.

There's few issues with that approach.

First, we've seen quarterbacks return to college and be hyped as first overall picks the following year only for them to fail to live up to that hype (e.g. Matt Barkley, he would arguably have been the second QB off the board after Luck, or the third if a team preferred RGIII).

Second, we've seen quarterbacks return to college unexpectedly. Andrew Luck was expected to come out the same year as Cam Newton, he didn't and returned to college. Imagine where the Panthers would be had Cam Newton returned to college. In this era players tend to like to come out of college as soon as possible, but we have seen quarterbacks return and if the top prospects do return outside of let's say Justin Herbert, a tank for Tua (or another QB) or just pinning our hopes on a QB from next year's class, might result in us not getting the desired return.

Third, what happens if this team starts a veteran quarterback and gets to .500, maybe better, under Flores? At that point we are nowhere near in a position to draft one of the top prospects, and to trade up from the middle of the round would in all likelihood cost us a lot of first round picks, and that's ignoring the fact that other quarterback needy teams or teams with questionable quarterback situations would tend not to give up the chance to draft potentially special quarterback prospects.

Now I do agree that if the right quarterback is not there are 13 this year then we shouldn't panic and be forced into drafting someone - for example, like the Bills were when they drafted EJ Manuel. At that juncture we should draft the BPA and build the best possible team we can and try to solve the quarterback situation at another time. But we can't afford to simply wait for next year because that doesn't always work. If there's even the slightest hope and belief that Lock or Murray can be the guy and they are there at 13, then we should seriously consider taking them. Best case scenario they work out and we've got our quarterback. Worst case scenario they flop, we struggle to a bad win-loss record, and we end up with one of the top picks and can draft a quarterback from next year's class. Draft till you hit.

How many teams with poor to average QBs pass on a chance to upgrade? They don't "simply HAVE to do it."
I think it depends on the overall plan.

You could make a case that half the teams could "upgrade" every year, but don't.

Bottles would be a prime example.

Back
Top Bottom