Whats the problem with the Oline | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Whats the problem with the Oline

finmann

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
I just can't put my finger on this. When we talk about other positions on the field, we can pretty much tell what the problem is, quarterback, receiver defensive back etc.. But when we talk about the oline as a UNIT, I just don get what the problem is an why it's so hard for us to play well with or without Pouncey. Is it a strength conditioning problem, lack of technique or guys just not understanding their assignments. I guess what I am asking is "what precisely is the problem with the Dolphins Oline"? Please don't tell me they just suck. I am sick of reading article after article bashing the Oline. Thoughts...

Didn't have depth to deal with injuries on the o-line last year. When eveyone was healthy they were fine. This year the line has a little more depth and could be better than last year. Larsen is top tier guard, but he's good enough.

I thought there was definite improvement. From what I've read, seems Tunsil is an effective communicator. Between James and Pouncey, I think they'll communicate well, also. We've got tons of okay options at guard and center.

I don't think that we're worse off this year, but yeah, that line when Pouncey is healthy is like having the extra starship on Galaga. You know it might not last long, but it's a lot of fun when you have it.

Look, it's simple, we have 1 proven stud along the OL, it's Laremy Tunsil. Pouncey is injured more and more every season, and simply isn't reliable, despite his flashes of greatness and his huge salary. Ju'Wuan James has had his moments, but he's very inconsistent. Asiata is a 5th round draft pick, and although I like him and think we got a very good player, he's still a rookie 5th rounder, and we can't call that a good OL yet. Bushrod is a decent pass protector and a horrible run blocker. Larsen is a journeyman.

I'll say it again, we have 1 proven top flight player on our OL, and it's Tunsil. What's wrong with the OL, is that it requires 5 solid players playing in unison, and we have only 1.

Larsen will be a noticeable upgrade because more than anything he will bring consistency - which is actually the answer to your question about the issue with the OL. A lack of depth and perennially injured key parts (Albert and Pouncey).

Consistency of line-up is more important on the OL than anywhere else on the field. Getting rid of Albert was a great move for us and after it's all said and done, I can almost guarantee our OL play from 2017 will be a noticeable improvement from '16. Once we get consistency from the center position too, we can then jump to being a top 10 unit.

I thought there was definite improvement. From what I've read, seems Tunsil is an effective communicator. Between James and Pouncey, I think they'll communicate well, also. We've got tons of okay options at guard and center.
I don't think that we're worse off this year, but yeah, that line when Pouncey is healthy is like having the extra starship on Galaga. You know it might not last long, but it's a lot of fun when you have it.

Dude that is a priceless post. Galaga reference is top notch.

Depth and health. Not that Foerster did wonders as an OL coach (honestly, we could replace him tomorrow and nobody would bat an eye) but I think he did an admirable job getting the OL to play well with needing Anthony Steen, Sam Young, and Kraig Urbrick to play extended time at LT and C respectively. And of course Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas were huge disasters. Now depth is still an issue but I do know the team loves Asiatta (considered him a top 40 player), and scouts around the league think Avery Young and Eric Smith have potential.

LT: Declining player in Albert who got progressively worse as the season wore on.

LG: Rookie learning and playing a brand new position. Has less space to work in than usually and much bigger guys in his face quicker.

C: Leader and communicator of the line played 5 games. UDFA & inexperienced replacement with ZERO snaps played takes over game 1 and also takes on role of communicator, gets injured and then replaced. (3) centers in one season is never a good scenario.

RG: career LT learning and moving to the opposite side and opposite technique and playing different position altogether. Imagine writing with your left hand as a right handed person.

RT: above average player struggled for over half the season to learn and refine brand new techniques.

I think LACK OF CONSISTENCY is the biggest issue the offensive line is having.

I coach a high school offensive line in 8A football in the state of Florida and nothing hurts me more than guys being injured and having to plug and play guys. It's tough! Tackles have to be studs and have the ability to carry their weight on an island. I don't think your guards have to be studs because you can help those guys through double teams so I don't make a big deal out of our guard play. If Pouncey was healthy and stayed healthy for the duration of the season I think we would see it didn't matter who played guard. Your center and your tackles have to be dogs, you can get away with one guard who is solid and another who's not so great. Like I said, there are ways to hide those guys through scheming efficiently.

I think LACK OF CONSISTENCY is the biggest issue the offensive line is having.

I coach a high school offensive line in 8A football in the state of Florida and nothing hurts me more than guys being injured and having to plug and play guys. It's tough! Tackles have to be studs and have the ability to carry their weight on an island. I don't think your guards have to be studs because you can help those guys through double teams so I don't make a big deal out of our guard play. If Pouncey was healthy and stayed healthy for the duration of the season I think we would see it didn't matter who played guard. Your center and your tackles have to be dogs, you can get away with one guard who is solid and another who's not so great. Like I said, there are ways to hide those guys through scheming efficiently.

If I had not seen Dallas Thomas "play", I may be slightly more inclined to agree with that assessment...but I agree that Pouncey is a huge part. The OP's questions about the o-line would have been more relevant a year or two ago. Everything considered from 2016, I thought they held up pretty well.

We had Pouncey for 14 games in 2015 but it didn't help overcome Turner and Thomas.

Take a look at some of the best lines in the NFL and they have DOGS at guard. Zach Martin/Lael Collins, Kelechi Osemele/Gabe Jackson, Ramon Foster/David DeCastro, etc. Especially if you want to run the ball.

Look, it's simple, we have 1 proven stud along the OL, it's Laremy Tunsil. Pouncey is injured more and more every season, and simply isn't reliable, despite his flashes of greatness and his huge salary. Ju'Wuan James has had his moments, but he's very inconsistent. Asiata is a 5th round draft pick, and although I like him and think we got a very good player, he's still a rookie 5th rounder, and we can't call that a good OL yet. Bushrod is a decent pass protector and a horrible run blocker. Larsen is a journeyman.

I'll say it again, we have 1 proven top flight player on our OL, and it's Tunsil. What's wrong with the OL, is that it requires 5 solid players playing in unison, and we have only 1.

Exactly!!

Nice run down of each position and why..

I would like to give Steen a real shot this year.

If we could stay healthy, we could be a top tier offense with the abundance of talent at our skill positions.
(Can't remember the last time I could say that with confidence lol)

Laremy will be a stud..Can't wait to see him!!

PHINS UP!! Season is almost here!!

Consistency at the C position, upgrade at LG, Backup OT. (Top 3 for me)

I also think RT James played like ISH for almost half of the season then started to improve and got better chemistry with Bushrod as well. But he struggled a lot at the beginning of the season. We can't have that this year with that brutal schedule

Back
Top Bottom