What's Up With Minkah? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's Up With Minkah?

2019 Minkah will Have:

• Sophomore Slump

• All Pro year

• Injuries limits his play

• Just a guy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Derwin and Minkah kind of remind me of Dunta Robinson and Sean Taylor back in 2004. One had a solid floor and the other had no ceiling.

Tragically we know what happened to Taylor, but Taylor was an animal in the NFL in his short time while Robinson was steady eddie.

It looks like we unsurprisingly took Steady Eddie. I feel the same about their selection of Wilkins over Brian Burns this year.

I don't know these kids very well but hope you're wrong!

Grier may be on the safe side as a GM but imo he is slowly and effectively rebuilding this team.

All GM's need time to learn and grow and I hope Ross has the patience to let Grier learn from his mistakes because they all make them (come on Harris, do something!).

The Rosen trade was brilliant imo because of the trade back, and looks like we've gotten some more UDFA gems this off-season. Mark of a keen eye for talent which I believe Grier has which is the most important trait in a GM to me.

Last edited:
Apparently his family believes he is playing poorly because he is out of position in this defense.

He did get an INT today (not yesterday as someone posted earlier).

I'm worried that Minkah is little overrated and overhyped with our fan base. I want to see a lot more. He was excellent at Alabama but last season he struggled to get his head around and left a lot of plays on the field and had quite a few PI penalties.

I'm worried that Minkah is little overrated and overhyped with our fan base. I want to see a lot more. He was excellent at Alabama but last season he struggled to get his head around and left a lot of plays on the field and had quite a few PI penalties.

Slimm explained the "head around" criticism. It's Saban's teachings and by design. Players get beat when they turn there heads too often. He explained it much better than I can and it made sense.

Slimm explained the "head around" criticism. It's Saban's teachings and by design. Players get beat when they turn there heads too often. He explained it much better than I can and it made sense.

If he doesn't improve on that then he will never live up to his draft status. Brady has made a living on tearing up DB and LBs who fail to get their heads around and the coverage would be perfect. Most of the time it would be an easy INT. The good DBs who make plays all the time are very good at this and it comes down to instincts, knowing when the right time to turn around and locate the ball. There are some plays when a DB has no choice but often Minkah could have made a play or at least broke up a pass had he turned his head around.

I love Derwin, he is one of my favorite Noles of all time, with that said (and I believe this has been mentioned) Derwin is in a very favorable situation in LA. Minkah has to to be the guy to make up for others shortcomings...as a result, he is not going to be in an optimal situation to showcase what he does.

If he doesn't improve on that then he will never live up to his draft status. Brady has made a living on tearing up DB and LBs who fail to get their heads around and the coverage would be perfect. Most of the time it would be an easy INT. The good DBs who make plays all the time are very good at this and it comes down to instincts, knowing when the right time to turn around and locate the ball. There are some plays when a DB has no choice but often Minkah could have made a play or at least broke up a pass had he turned his head around.

He will when he feels comfortable with it, just give him some time. He's had interceptions the last 2 days in scrimmages vs the Bucs. The Dolphins still have him spread too thin right now in order to make up for other's shortcomings. He has to focus on other things.

For an example of the technique I'm talking about, go watch the clip of the interception Rowe had today against Mike Evans, that's the technique and how great DB coaches want it played. He was out of phase after Evans had created horizontal separation - but ran himself back in phase by not turning to look for the ball - he just kept running until he was back in phase (where he could've reached Evans inside hip with the back of his outside hand) and THEN turned and looked for the ball. Textbook.

Had he turned to look for the ball too early he never would've made it there in time.

Last edited:
I don't know these kids very well but hope you're wrong!

Grier may be on the safe side as a GM but imo he is slowly and effectively rebuilding this team.

All GM's need time to learn and grow and I hope Ross has the patience to let Grier learn from his mistakes because they all make them (come on Harris, do something!).

The Rosen trade was brilliant imo because of the trade back, and looks like we've gotten some more UDFA gems this off-season. Mark of a keen eye for talent which I believe Grier has which is the most important trait in a GM to me.

You don't remember Sean Taylor?

You don't remember Sean Taylor?

Oh I know him, just don't watch college football so don't know anything about Wilkins/Burns.

All I know about Minkah and James is what they have done in the league which isn't favoring our side at the moment, hope you're wrong!

His mother is completely right. Flores is being way too cute with him. Either continue to play the kid at nickel or have him play single high safety. I don't know wtf is going on there, but they need to cut it out.

I love Derwin, he is one of my favorite Noles of all time, with that said (and I believe this has been mentioned) Derwin is in a very favorable situation in LA. Minkah has to to be the guy to make up for others shortcomings...as a result, he is not going to be in an optimal situation to showcase what he does.

This is a very well phrased take on the situation, imo.

It certainly doesn't hurt that Derwin has one of the best DCs of the past ten years coaching him.

Depends on what they do with him. Total waste to stick him in the slot for the majority of the snaps. I'm hoping this staff is smarter than that.

Still don't understand this Bobby McCain at FS experiment, or whatever it is.
Agreed. McCain is going to get trucked by ball carriers.

Coach is just testing his limits and getting a feel for what he can and cannot handle.

What better time than preseason?

I'll start worrying if he is consistently asked to fill assignments outside his skillset, WHEN THE SEASON BEGINS!

Back
Top Bottom