Whats your rebuild blueprint for the Fins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Whats your rebuild blueprint for the Fins?

NBP81

Its what you know for sure... that just aint so...
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Im using the word rebuild because this is about after the season is over with... I think we can safely assume Fins will have at least a top 5 pick at this point. 2x 1st rounders, 2x 2nd rounders, 2x 3rd round picks(if they get a comp) + the late rounds... They'll also have around 140M under the cap IIRC...

I'd just like to know which unit would be your priority next season?, as I dont think it would be wise to try and fix everything at the same time. You dont even have to bring specific names to the table, just your overall strategy.

If I were GM, I'd obviously get the QB first and foremost with the top 5 pick and I would try to build him the best OL possible. I'd use the draft for a potential LT/RT(depending on the QB they draft) although Im not sure how Ds would adjust for a left handed QB, maybe @TedSlimmJr could weigh in here. The rest of the OL would be filled with FA vets if at all possible. Only reason Im using the pick for the tackle is cost certainty and value and Im not opposed to drafting guards or centers on top of that should the opportunity present itself.

This part might sound weird to some but I'd only adress the D where there are urgent needs and do so with the back of the draft and the 2nd and 3rd wave of FA... Believe it or not, this is not a 1 year project and I'd like to keep roling money over to the next season. Fins also have alot of picks in the 2021 draft and I would make that offseason about the defense. By that time, Fitzpatrick and Baker will be entering their prime and Howard should be a force by then, you can then draft that pass rusher and a couple of CBs to really solidify the D.

So what would you do?

First thing I'd do is get rid of Grier and hire somebody that knows how to draft pro bowlers instead of "starters" on a bad team.
Now that I have that out of the way. It makes no sense to draft a QB with the top pick and not get him help so I'd go into free agency and get one guard and one center or one guard and one OT.
I believe Dieter will be fine and either Davis or Prince can be the RT.
On to the draft I'd draft Tua and then a LT. I like Little and Wirfs and one of them could be there with the Houston pick we got.
2nd round we need to draft a real DE that can rush the passer and then a safety. Jones will be gone. Bobby's not a FS and Minkah can't play every position all by himself.

So the o-line would be something like this
LT-our 2nd pick in the first round
LG-Dieter
C-free agent
RG-free agent
RT-Davis/Prince

Now at least Tua has a chance. A different way to do it would be to draft a WR like Higgins and draft a LT with the 33rd pick but at some point you need a DE too plus a safety(maybe 3rd round)

My idea of our 2020 picks:
1st rd-DE
1st rd-OT
2nd rd-CB
2nd rd- OG/C
Fill in depth with rest of picks. I would not dare draft a QB in the 2020 draft. Until we fix the line they'll get destroyed, until we fix the defense they'll have to put up 60 to win lol.

In 2021, after a 6-10 season by Rosen/Fitz/whoever, then id go QB. There's not been a single team rebuild in a single year. It takes time, no need to rush it and overdraft another Tannehill

First thing I'd do is get rid of Grier and hire somebody that knows how to draft pro bowlers instead of "starters" on a bad team.
Now that I have that out of the way. It makes no sense to draft a QB with the top pick and not get him help so I'd go into free agency and get one guard and one center or one guard and one OT.
I believe Dieter will be fine and either Davis or Prince can be the RT.
On to the draft I'd draft Tua and then a LT. I like Little and Wirfs and one of them could be there with the Houston pick we got.
2nd round we need to draft a real DE that can rush the passer and then a safety. Jones will be gone. Bobby's not a FS and Minkah can't play every position all by himself.

So the o-line would be something like this
LT-our 2nd pick in the first round
LG-Dieter
C-free agent
RG-free agent
RT-Davis/Prince

Now at least Tua has a chance. A different way to do it would be to draft a WR like Higgins and draft a LT with the 33rd pick but at some point you need a DE too plus a safety(maybe 3rd round)
I like your aproach as well, its pretty similar but you go for a DE fairly early in 2020 instead of 2021... My thinking there is I'd rather use the 2020 early pick to make my new QB's life easier. While the Fins should win more games in 2020 which nets a lower draft pick, with the franchise QB in hand, they'll be able to afford a big trade up to get an elite DE at the top of the draft 2121. This is far from an exact science and building the roster both ways at the same time might have some benefits as well.

I think it is worrisome that Grier may not be the right guy for the job. But for the moment let's talk future. Everything is predicated on where Miami eventually selects in round one of the 2020 draft. I've already seen a mock draft where Miami is selecting #5. Scary, especially with everyone assuming the Dolphins will select #1 overall. That situation would be a complete failure. And Grier should be shown the door. If Miami somehow finishes with, the #1 Overall Selection, the obvious thing to do, is to pick Tua, if he declares. From there it's a crapshoot, Miami could do just about anything from there. Offensive Line and Cornerback are the obvious choice for the second, first round pick. Those 2 second and third round picks could help solidify Miami offensive line if used correctly. Which is where I think I'd be looking to draft that position. Imho there could be a player at CB or Safety too good to pass up in round one. If not Iowa's Wirfs is my preferred choice because he's one hell of a nasty lineman. In 2021, I'd make it more about the defense and offensive skill positions. But Miami needs to gets its QB and Lineman to truly move forward with a sustainable plan and rebuild.

My picks would be identical with Burt's picks...
You can not win in the NFL with no pass rush. Marino is proof of that. Best QB in human history, but didnt play Defense.

1st rd-DE
1st rd-OT
2nd rd-CB
2nd rd- OG/C
Fill in depth with rest of picks. I would not dare draft a QB in the 2020 draft. Until we fix the line they'll get destroyed, until we fix the defense they'll have to put up 60 to win lol.

In 2021, after a 6-10 season by Rosen/Fitz/whoever, then id go QB. There's not been a single team rebuild in a single year. It takes time, no need to rush it and overdraft another Tannehill

This! Build the trenches first. A QB pick will be a waste with our OL. They will not develop and potentially get injured. There is no guarantee that a top 5 QB will pan out. I would say that there are way less HOF top 5 draft pick QBs than there have been BUST. Most of the greats weren’t drafted in the top 5... Marino, Montana, Brady.... but the common denominator with all great QBs is a solid OL. But, I have some serious doubts about the people making the picks for us.

This! Build the trenches first. A QB pick will be a waste with our OL. They will not develop and potentially get injured. There is no guarantee that a top 5 QB will pan out. I would say that there are way less HOF top 5 draft pick QBs than there have been BUST. Most of the greats weren’t drafted in the top 5... Marino, Montana, Brady.... but the common denominator with all great QBs is a solid OL. But, I have some serious doubts about the people making the picks for us.
Why can’t you draft your QB and still build the trenches? Miami has the resources to do both. And I’m not even talking about supplementing that with Free Agency.

My picks would be identical with Burt's picks...
You can not win in the NFL with no pass rush. Marino is proof of that. Best QB in human history, but didnt play Defense.

So true! I remember Marino gunning the entire game because the defense was horrendous.

No blue print until we played a few games. With all the changes so close to the regular season they need to have a few games to find themselves. The first three games should be treated like pre season games at this point.
Well this thread assumes all 2019 is treated like pre-season... Soooo come back after 0-3 and give your input... Thanks
giphy.gif

Going 0-16 and drafting Tua.

Main objective following that is building the trenches. I would be looking to spend some of that salary cap on established OL or smart trades to assure Tua doesn't take a beating.

Continue to trade back in rounds to acquire picks the following years allowing for draft and trade flexibility. It's one of the biggest reasons the Pats have been able to establish a dynasty for two decades. Looking at what they've done this week in signing Brown and trading Thomas for a 6th round pick. That's just smart organizational management. Essentially Thomas for Brown + 6th round pick.

Last edited:
I still have to see how Rosen fares if this mess ever gets even remotely improved this season. Otherwise I'm making QB and line a priority. Use maybe 2 second round / 3rd round picks and 2 FA acquisitions to patch the line well enough for my new QB to stay alive and learn the game. One of 2021's first rounders would probably go to my pass rushing DE.
As a more general strategy, I would try to trade the second first rounder this year and turn it into another first and second extra pick or more for next year or 2021 and continue to do that with one of my first rounders most years, now that I have amassed multiple first rounders. The exception would be when I think I am really close to being a SB contender. Then I could load up.

1st rd-DE
1st rd-OT
2nd rd-CB
2nd rd- OG/C

That's an awful plan. Waiting for a QB is nuts.

Back
Top Bottom