Whats your rebuild blueprint for the Fins? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Whats your rebuild blueprint for the Fins?

Tough to develop a legit rebuild plan until we know what we have in Rosen.

I am still holding out some hope that Rosen shows enough potential to make Tua/Herbert/Fromm/Love unnecessary. I would be ecstatic if the Dolphins get a top-3 pick this year, and are confident enough to trade it away to a team that is hyped over a QB. Continue to pile up the draft assets. If Rosen busts in 2020 while surrounded by hopefully better talent (from the 2020 draft and 2020 free agency), then you can use the 2021 draft capital (which will be increased from trading the top-3 2020 pick) to get your new QB. I’d expect there to be at least one or two top QB prospects that shake out in 2021 in addition to Lawrence, since the assumption is that no team will trade away the opportunity to draft Lawrence.

If we don’t end up taking the QB early in 2020, I’d use the two firsts on a pass-rushing DE and CB to play opposite X (I’m assuming we recoup a top-10 first in trading away the top-3 pick - so get that pass-rushing DE in th top 10). I’d use both seconds on OL, with the hope that you have a real conviction on both. If the available OL in Round 2 are weak, don’t reach - go BPA regardless of position. Second rounders are too valuable to draft a reach on need alone.

If Rosen isn’t a real option, then I’m assuming we’re drafting #1 and I’m taking Tua. With the next 3 picks, I am going OL and WR. I try to build around Tua on offense in the 2020 draft. I wait until 2021 to go heavy on defense.

Once concern I have about 2020 free agency - we’d like to think we can pick up some good OL in free agency, but the free agent class in OL is weak, and looking weaker every time another player signs an extension. Rodney Hudson, La’el Collins, Cody Whitehair are just a few OL that have signed extensions recently (off the top of my head).

If your QB is in a QB battle with Fitzpatrick and it's not clearly apparent who's better in the 1st week of camp, he doesn't have the ceiling to be a true franchise Qb, you can't pass on Tua for that.

If your QB is in a QB battle with Fitzpatrick and it's not clearly apparent who's better in the 1st week of camp, he doesn't have the ceiling to be a true franchise Qb, you can't pass on Tua for that.

I’m really operating under the assumption that this was not a legit “QB battle”. And I think everything that has happened with this team over the past few weeks has reinforced that assumption.

You don’t shuffle the offensive line the way the Dolphins did right before the opener, you don’t flip 25% of your roster for waiver wire garbage in the week between final cuts and the opener, you don’t move Bobby McCain to safety, etc etc, if you’re looking at this as a legit NFL season.

I think that Flores/Grier/Ross had a set plan coming into this season, and Rosen’s performance wasn’t going to change it. I think they knew they were going to demolish this roster, and it made no sense to put Rosen under center surrounded by a complete dumpster fire.

If that isn’t the rationale, then there are some serious problems at every level of this franchise. Because unless you’re protecting Rosen from being burned this season, then it’s malpractice to keep him on the bench. Even if you question Rosen’s ability, you have to put him on the field to prove the validity of your assessment. Particularly during a season when your franchise clearly has no interest in winning games.

I’m really operating under the assumption that this was not a legit “QB battle”. And I think everything that has happened with this team over the past few weeks has reinforced that assumption.

You don’t shuffle the offensive line the way the Dolphins did right before the opener, you don’t flip 25% of your roster for waiver wire garbage in the week between final cuts and the opener, you don’t move Bobby McCain to safety, etc etc, if you’re looking at this as a legit NFL season.

I think that Flores/Grier/Ross had a set plan coming into this season, and Rosen’s performance wasn’t going to change it. I think they knew they were going to demolish this roster, and it made no sense to put Rosen under center surrounded by a complete dumpster fire.

If that isn’t the rationale, then there are some serious problems at every level of this franchise. Because unless you’re protecting Rosen from being burned this season, then it’s malpractice to keep him on the bench. Even if you question Rosen’s ability, you have to put him on the field to prove the validity of your assessment. Particularly during a season when your franchise clearly has no interest in winning games.
you don't do what we did when you think you have a franchise QB on the team. You do the opposite of what we did. They basically have fed him to the wolves. Hes not gonna get a fair shot because I dont think they think very highly of him. Plus it took all of three passes for him to throw an INT

Great points, plus I did have Rosen winning the battle based on preseason games.

you don't do what we did when you think you have a franchise QB on the team. You do the opposite of what we did. They basically have fed him to the wolves. Hes not gonna get a fair shot because I dont think they think very highly of him. Plus it took all of three passes for him to throw an INT

Also a good point, The idea Rosen didn't get a fair shot because they don't think he's franchise material seems logical, even if he's a little better than Fitz. If your gonna tank than Fitz is your guy.

I’d disagree with this. Bottom line, even if Rosen was being viewed as “franchise QB”, the TEAM is not good enough to win consistently. So what do you do? Do you put the “franchise” on the field with a crap OL and a weak defense and let him take his lumps? Or do you realize even a very good Rosen wouldn’t win 8 games with this team, blow it up completely and collect draft assets and cap space for 2020 and 2021?

Think about it this way...

Let’s say the Dolphins really do think Rosen is the franchise QB they’ve needed for 20 years. He plays 13-14 games this year and looks solid, but the team still stinks and gets the #1 pick. If a QB-needy team thinks the Dolphins have their QB and will not take Tua at #1, they may not offer a king’s ransom to Miami. Maybe they work with the team with the #2 pick, since Miami isn’t going to take Tua at #1.

I think everything this season is a smokescreen. The top priority isn’t winning games. The top priority is improving the team’s options for 2020 and forward.

I’d disagree with this. Bottom line, even if Rosen was being viewed as “franchise QB”, the TEAM is not good enough to win consistently. So what do you do? Do you put the “franchise” on the field with a crap OL and a weak defense and let him take his lumps? Or do you realize even a very good Rosen wouldn’t win 8 games with this team, blow it up completely and collect draft assets and cap space for 2020 and 2021?

Think about it this way...

Let’s say the Dolphins really do think Rosen is the franchise QB they’ve needed for 20 years. He plays 13-14 games this year and looks solid, but the team still stinks and gets the #1 pick. If a QB-needy team thinks the Dolphins have their QB and will not take Tua at #1, they may not offer a king’s ransom to Miami. Maybe they work with the team with the #2 pick, since Miami isn’t going to take Tua at #1.

I think everything this season is a smokescreen. The top priority isn’t winning games. The top priority is improving the team’s options for 2020 and forward.

He isnt looking solid and we get the 1st pick in the draft. No way in hell are we not starting him because they think they wont have leverage if we get the first pick haha He's not starting because he isnt good enough. Their isnt some conspiracy theory with him not starting. It isnt to give this oline time to gel. Look at what Murray did with his former team. All the excuses for Rosen get thrown out the window. How he looked in Arizona is how hes gonna look here with an even worse oline. Fitzpatrick played ok. Rosen gets brought in a throws a pick within 3 plays. He wasnt pressured on the throw either. He just not good right now.

All of this drafting a QB first and worrying about everything else is ridiculous to me. Does everyone forget that we had the greatest QB to ever play but how many SBs did we win. No QB will be successful here unless we have the supporting players.

Also, take a look at Dak Prescott...

The Cowboys look damn good....

1 Tua - Bama QB

1 Biadasz - Badger C

2 Zuniga (may play his way into the 1st round) - Gator Edge

2 Diggs - Bama CB

3 Floyd - VTech Hybrid

3 Troy Dye - Ducks LB

Not if you feel there is a better one in 2021. You have the capital in either draft to get who you want so you need to evaluate each class.
There isn't enough draft capital in the world to get a QB needy team to trade out of there spot if they are ahead of you. Miami can not afford to wait two years to draft a QB. There are just too many variables that far out. They are going to have to evaluate this year's QB class and make the best choice they can. With a little luck, they will have the first pick and will have the choice of the litter and they will not have to use all of their valuable draft assets they have accumulated by maneuvering around trying to land a franchise QB.

Then again... over half of the QBs rated as 'franchise QBs' bust... They are FAR from a sure thing.
So are players at all of the other positions. So you are telling me you would pass on a chance to draft a Patrick Mahomes because your offensive line isn't good enough yet? :laugh

There isn't enough draft capital in the world to get a QB needy team to trade out of there spot if they are ahead of you. Miami can not afford to wait two years to draft a QB. There are just too many variables that far out. They are going to have to evaluate this year's QB class and make the best choice they can. With a little luck, they will have the first pick and will have the choice of the litter and they will not have to use all of their valuable draft assets they have accumulated by maneuvering around trying to land a franchise QB.

That is my biggest fear. We strip this team down to nothing and we get Justin Herbert. No team is trading that pick. Even if it is traded it gonna be a big kick in the sack to the rebuild to use 3-4 quality picks to move up.

Back
Top Bottom