When Brady feels pressure he "See's ghost's" in the pocket. Comp drops 26% | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When Brady feels pressure he "See's ghost's" in the pocket. Comp drops 26%

catch22

New Mexico Fin Fan
Reaction score
Check out the article below, Yes it quotes Ryan Clark and he is a jerk but the stats that back up the his argument are worth thinking about.
This article does not mention the Dolphins or our offseason but it does illustrate one of the reasons I believe we went with Dion Jordan. Combine Jordan and Wake and the FA's we picked up and the Dolphin's D is a position to put fear into a Quarterback like Brady.

The premise is simple here. Tom Brady is getting paranoid about taking hits in his advancing age. When Brady starts to feel pressure in a game he "see's ghosts" in the pocket, after this occurs his Comp% and QBR goes down drastically if his guys don't get open right away. If our D can get more pressure on Brady than last year. We just might be able to shake things up a bit and hopefully be able to split the series with the Pats.

James Walker, ESPN.com

nwegif-1.jpg
pitgif-1.jpg
That was my first reaction to
Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark's remarks that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady sometimes "sees ghosts" in the pocket. I've watched games in person where Brady ducks, flinches or slides away from phantom pressure in the pocket. At 35, it happens more and more at the latter stages of Brady's career.

"In 2010, we saw it start with the Jets in the playoffs," Clark explained on ESPN's "NFL Live" this week. “When Tom Brady gets pressure and when you're man-to-man and bumping those guys and making it hard for him to throw, he sees ghosts.

"Even when guys aren't around him, even when he's not about to be sacked, when his clock goes off in his head that the ball should be out, we'll see him duck, we'll see him flinch. When you get Tom Brady doing that, the whole New England Patriots mystique goes away."

The statistics also back Clark's analysis.

According to ESPN Stats and Information, Brady’s completion percentage drops from 68.2 percent to 42.3 percent when he holds onto the ball three seconds or longer. New England is very much a timing and rhythm offense. As Clark mentioned, opponents increase their chances of success by throwing off Brady's timing with his receivers. Brady’s Total Quarterback Rating also falls from a stellar 81.1 to an average 59.7 when he holds the ball three seconds or longer.

You cannot fault Brady for wanting to avoid big hits. Brady has been sacked 59 times the past two seasons, and each year those hits become harder to take. Brady, who just signed a contract extension through 2017, wants to play until he's 40. The only way he accomplishes that goal is by avoiding clean hits in the pocket.

The blueprint is out there to beat Brady. Teams like the Baltimore Ravens and New York Giants have consistently beaten New England doing many of the things Clark explained. However, it's much easier said than done for most teams.

Clark and the Steelers will get their chance to make Brady see "ghosts" this upcoming season when Pittsburgh travels to Gillette Stadium to face Brady and the Patriots on November 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Make Brady see ghosts."

Excellent article.

LD

Brady will feel like he played in a haunted mansion once we are through with him...

Check out the article below, Yes it quotes Ryan Clark and he is a jerk but the stats that back up the his argument are worth thinking about.
This article does not mention the Dolphins or our offseason but it does illustrate one of the reasons I believe we went with Dion Jordan. Combine Jordan and Wake and the FA's we picked up and the Dolphin's D is a position to put fear into a Quarterback like Brady.

The premise is simple here. Tom Brady is getting paranoid about taking hits in his advancing age. When Brady starts to feel pressure in a game he "see's ghosts" in the pocket, after this occurs his Comp% and QBR goes down drastically if his guys don't get open right away. If our D can get more pressure on Brady than last year. We just might be able to shake things up a bit and hopefully be able to split the series with the Pats.

James Walker, ESPN.com

nwegif-1.jpg
pitgif-1.jpg
That was my first reaction to
Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark's remarks that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady sometimes "sees ghosts" in the pocket. I've watched games in person where Brady ducks, flinches or slides away from phantom pressure in the pocket. At 35, it happens more and more at the latter stages of Brady's career.

"In 2010, we saw it start with the Jets in the playoffs," Clark explained on ESPN's "NFL Live" this week. “When Tom Brady gets pressure and when you're man-to-man and bumping those guys and making it hard for him to throw, he sees ghosts.

"Even when guys aren't around him, even when he's not about to be sacked, when his clock goes off in his head that the ball should be out, we'll see him duck, we'll see him flinch. When you get Tom Brady doing that, the whole New England Patriots mystique goes away."

The statistics also back Clark's analysis.

According to ESPN Stats and Information, Brady’s completion percentage drops from 68.2 percent to 42.3 percent when he holds onto the ball three seconds or longer. New England is very much a timing and rhythm offense. As Clark mentioned, opponents increase their chances of success by throwing off Brady's timing with his receivers. Brady’s Total Quarterback Rating also falls from a stellar 81.1 to an average 59.7 when he holds the ball three seconds or longer.

You cannot fault Brady for wanting to avoid big hits. Brady has been sacked 59 times the past two seasons, and each year those hits become harder to take. Brady, who just signed a contract extension through 2017, wants to play until he's 40. The only way he accomplishes that goal is by avoiding clean hits in the pocket.

The blueprint is out there to beat Brady. Teams like the Baltimore Ravens and New York Giants have consistently beaten New England doing many of the things Clark explained. However, it's much easier said than done for most teams.

Clark and the Steelers will get their chance to make Brady see "ghosts" this upcoming season when Pittsburgh travels to Gillette Stadium to face Brady and the Patriots on November 3.

Is it weird I read all your posts in Donald Glover's voice?

"Make Brady see ghosts."

Excellent article.

LD
To be honest I would rather make him see STARS, but I guess ghost will be ok too...

I also think one of the best ways to keep pressure on him is by the other team to keep putting points up on their side of the scoreboard.

:up:

Dunno that it has anything to do with age. The phins always have had success against Brady when they had physical corners that could disrupt receivers at the line and pass rush to be feared.

I disagree with your interpretation. The article says..

According to ESPN Stats and Information, Brady’s completion percentage drops from 68.2 percent to 42.3 percent when he holds onto the ball three seconds or longer.

So from what I'm reading, the key to beating Brady is coverage, not pressure. Make sure the receivers are covered for at least 3 seconds, and Brady will start to freak out.

The Giants relied on their front 4 to rush Brady, without blitzing, thus always leaving 7 players in coverage. Hopefully we can do the same: rely on our front 4 to rush Brady, without blitzing, and always have 7 players in coverage, thus tying up Brady for more than 3 seconds, causing him to freak out and play poorly.

I guess that pressure doesn't happen very often considering his completion % the past 4 years
since his injury 63%, 65.6%, 65.9%, and 65.7%
also 147 tds and 37 interceptions during the same time frame.

The only pressure is on the opposing defenses

I disagree with your interpretation. The article says..

So from what I'm reading, the key to beating Brady is coverage, not pressure. Make sure the receivers are covered for at least 3 seconds, and Brady will start to freak out.

The Giants relied on their front 4 to rush Brady, without blitzing, thus always leaving 7 players in coverage. Hopefully we can do the same: rely on our front 4 to rush Brady, without blitzing, and always have 7 players in coverage, thus tying up Brady for more than 3 seconds, causing him to freak out and play poorly.

I agree that good coverage is a part of it for sure and that I did not articulate that. I think coverage is a big part. But if you can't get pressure on Brady early all the coverage in the world wont help you very much. If you can get to Brady early in a game the chances that he "see's Ghosts" goes up. And if Brady is being jumpy in the pocket and we have nobody pressuring the pocket that does not help us as much either.

Steps to get Brady "Seeing Ghosts" (Like the Raven's)

1)Get pressure on Brady (preferably early in the game)
2)Have good coverage on receivers and TE's (especially in the first few seconds after snap)

When reading the article this quote stood out

“When Tom Brady gets pressure and when you're man-to-man and bumping those guys and making it hard for him to throw, he sees ghosts." (translation, Pressure +Coverage= "Ghosts")

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that good coverage is a part of it for sure and that I did not articulate that. I think coverage is a big part. But if you can't get pressure on Brady early all the coverage in the world wont help you very much. If you can get to Brady early in a game the chances that he "see's Ghosts" goes up. And if Brady is being jumpy in the pocket and we have nobody pressuring the pocket that does not help us as much either.

Steps to get Brady "Seeing Ghosts" (Like the Raven's)

1)Get pressure on Brady (preferably early in the game)
2)Have good coverage on receivers and TE's (especially in the first few seconds after snap)

When reading the article this quote stood out

“When Tom Brady gets pressure and when you're man-to-man and bumping those guys and making it hard for him to throw, he sees ghosts." (translation, Pressure +Coverage= "Ghosts")

i agree, pressuring Brady Early and Often will make his "3 second timer" crack,

speeds up his reaction time, and THEN it comes to great coverage

I agree. We need to get to him with a standard 4 man rush. I can't find it now but I'm sure Brady facing the blitz is one of the best in league.

I don't have a stat, but maybe a video will help..

[youtube]6Nd2OnSEf-I[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nd2OnSEf-I

The worst part about that play was that we blatantly telegraphed the inside blitz, thus allowing Brady to audible, and completely torch us.

I guess that pressure doesn't happen very often considering his completion % the past 4 years
since his injury 63%, 65.6%, 65.9%, and 65.7%
also 147 tds and 37 interceptions during the same time frame.

The only pressure is on the opposing defenses

Did you watch the 2nd game in 2011, Brady had a QB rating if I remember right, in the teens in the 1st half, and if not for the Dolphin's letting Brady off the hook by not continuing to pressure him, Miami might have won the game, and Brady might have had one of his most humiliating games ever.

-1st quarter-

New England Patriots at 10:59 (1st Drive)
5-D.Carpenter kicks 68 yards from MIA 35 to NE -3. 39-D.Woodhead to NE 13 for 16 yards (28-N.Carroll).
1-10-NE 13 (10:55) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 84-D.Branch.
2-10-NE 13 (10:51) 39-D.Woodhead left guard to NE 21 for 8 yards (56-K.Burnett, 20-R.Jones).
3-2-NE 21 (10:17) 39-D.Woodhead right tackle to NE 25 for 4 yards (99-J.Taylor; 20-R.Jones).
1-10-NE 25 (9:41) 77-N.Solder reported in as eligible. 42-B.Green-Ellis left tackle to NE 30 for 5 yards (20-R.Jones).
2-5-NE 30 (8:59) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 87-R.Gronkowski [58-K.Dansby].
3-5-NE 30 (8:53) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to NE 46 for 16 yards (37-Y.Bell).
1-10-NE 46 (8:20) (Shotgun) 22-S.Ridley left tackle to NE 48 for 2 yards (58-K.Dansby).
2-8-NE 48 (7:43) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 83-W.Welker.
3-8-NE 48 (7:41) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady sacked at NE 42 for -6 yards (37-Y.Bell).

New England Patriots at 04:36 (2nd drive)
1-10-NE 21 (4:36) 77-N.Solder reported in as eligible. 12-T.Brady sacked at NE 17 for -4 yards (99-J.Taylor).
2-14-NE 17 (4:07) (Shotgun) 39-D.Woodhead left guard to NE 21 for 4 yards (98-J.Odrick).
3-10-NE 21 (3:24) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 83-W.Welker.
4-10-NE 21 (3:20) 14-Z.Mesko punts 55 yards to MIA 24, Center-48-D.Aiken. 15-D.Bess to MIA 37 for 13 yards (50-R.Ninkovich).

New England Patriots at 02:13 (3rd drive)
1-10-NE 10 (2:13) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 22-S.Ridley.
2-10-NE 10 (2:09) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 81-A.Hernandez to NE 25 for 15 yards (58-K.Dansby).
1-10-NE 25 (1:37) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 81-A.Hernandez.
2-10-NE 25 (1:32) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 39-D.Woodhead left tackle to NE 29 for 4 yards (58-K.Dansby).
3-6-NE 29 (1:10) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 83-W.Welker.
4-6-NE 29 (1:06) 14-Z.Mesko punts 64 yards to MIA 7, Center-48-D.Aiken. 15-D.Bess MUFFS catch, and recovers at MIA 6. 15-D.Bess to MIA 18 for 12 yards (48-D.Aiken).

-2nd quarter-

New England Patriots at 13:45 (4th drive)
5-D.Carpenter kicks 70 yards from MIA 35 to NE -5. 39-D.Woodhead to NE 25 for 30 yards (50-M.Mitchell; 93-J.Trusnik).
1-10-NE 25 (13:41) 42-B.Green-Ellis right guard to NE 28 for 3 yards (56-K.Burnett).
2-7-NE 28 (13:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 87-R.Gronkowski to NE 34 for 6 yards (37-Y.Bell).
3-1-NE 34 (12:43) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 83-W.Welker (24-S.Smith).
4-1-NE 34 (12:38) 14-Z.Mesko punts 55 yards to MIA 11, Center-48-D.Aiken, downed by NE-35-R.Ventrone.

New England Patriots at 06:31 (5th Drive)
5-D.Carpenter kicks 63 yards from MIA 35 to NE 2. 39-D.Woodhead to NE 39 for 37 yards (30-C.Clemons; 53-A.Spitler).
1-10-NE 39 (6:24) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 84-D.Branch.
2-10-NE 39 (6:20) (No Huddle) 22-S.Ridley up the middle to NE 41 for 2 yards (56-K.Burnett; 78-T.McDaniel).
3-8-NE 41 (5:41) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 83-W.Welker.
4-8-NE 41 (5:38) (Punt formation) PENALTY on NE-90-N.Koutouvides, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NE 41 - No Play.
4-13-NE 36 (5:38) 14-Z.Mesko punts 51 yards to MIA 13, Center-48-D.Aiken, fair catch by 15-D.Bess.

New England Patriots at 03:57 (6th drive)
1-10-NE 28 (3:57) 12-T.Brady scrambles up the middle to NE 29 for 1 yard (58-K.Dansby).
2-9-NE 29 (3:22) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 81-A.Hernandez [94-R.Starks].
3-9-NE 29 (3:19) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady sacked at NE 26 for -3 yards (91-C.Wake).
4-12-NE 26 (2:52) 14-Z.Mesko punts 46 yards to MIA 28, Center-48-D.Aiken, fair catch by 15-D.Bess.

New England Patriots at 00:48 (6th drive)
1-10-NE 18 (:48) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 87-R.Gronkowski to NE 27 for 9 yards (56-K.Burnett).
2-1-NE 27 (:27) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 87-R.Gronkowski.
3-1-NE 27 (:25) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to NE 31 for 4 yards (37-Y.Bell).
Timeout #2 by NE at 00:20.
1-10-NE 31 (:20) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass deep left to 84-D.Branch to MIA 38 for 31 yards (29-T.Culver).
Timeout #3 by NE at 00:12.
1-10-MIA 38 (:12) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 87-R.Gronkowski pushed ob at MIA 32 for 6 yards (56-K.Burnett).
2-4-MIA 32 (:08) 3-S.Gostkowski 51 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-48-D.Aiken, Holder-14-Z.Mesko

-End of 1st half-

Back
Top Bottom