When is the next time we'll have a top 3 pick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When is the next time we'll have a top 3 pick?

phinfann13

Active Roster
Reaction score
I have seen this question asked on here many times in regards to picking a QB because we won't get the chance again. In the last 16 drafts, including this coming one, we have picked 3rd or higher 4 times (once was a trade up). So every 4 years the Miami Dolphins have had a selection in the top 3. This isn't a once in a lifetime opportunity. We've also had a top 10 pick 7 out of the last 16. To me, it's obvious you build around the QB you just drafted top 5 and see what he can do with an actual team. If he doesn't show he's capable after that, then we'll move on.

Another thing is, you don't need a top 3 pick to land your QB. The top 10 QB's in passing yards this year featured only 1 QB who was drafted in the top 3 (Matt Ryan). The top 20 QB's in passing yards had 5 QB's who were drafted top 3 (Ryan, Stafford, Goff, Mayfield, Murray). Of course 15 of the top 20 passers were 1st round picks so that shows you where you need to find your QB, but we have a 1st round pick every year.

Trust coach Flo. Trust the process. Go Fins.

What’s wrong with you premise is it assumes we will be bad again anytime soon...we will not, this is a young team improving, and even a mediocre QB can lead this team far out of the top ten.

The next time we have a blue chip talent that we want to trade away. If we draft Sewell we’ll have to see what bill O’Brien is doing in a couple of years.

What’s wrong with you premise is it assumes we will be bad again anytime soon...we will not, this is a young team improving, and even a mediocre QB can lead this team far out of the top ten.
While you're at it, let me know what the Powerball numbers are for this week

I have seen this question asked on here many times in regards to picking a QB because we won't get the chance again. In the last 16 drafts, including this coming one, we have picked 3rd or higher 4 times (once was a trade up). So every 4 years the Miami Dolphins have had a selection in the top 3. This isn't a once in a lifetime opportunity. We've also had a top 10 pick 7 out of the last 16. To me, it's obvious you build around the QB you just drafted top 5 and see what he can do with an actual team. If he doesn't show he's capable after that, then we'll move on.

Another thing is, you don't need a top 3 pick to land your QB. The top 10 QB's in passing yards this year featured only 1 QB who was drafted in the top 3 (Matt Ryan). The top 20 QB's in passing yards had 5 QB's who were drafted top 3 (Ryan, Stafford, Goff, Mayfield, Murray). Of course 15 of the top 20 passers were 1st round picks so that shows you where you need to find your QB, but we have a 1st round pick every year.

Unless the Dolphins make a trade like they did with the Texans or they trade away half their draft picks down the road, I hope the Dolphins never again have a draft pick in the first 20 picks of another draft while I am still alive.
If they are drafting at 20 or later every year that will mean they made the playoffs or they were dumb enough to trade a higher pick to move into the 20’s.

Unless the Dolphins make a trade like they did with the Texans or they trade away half their draft picks down the road, I hope the Dolphins never again have a draft pick in the first 20 picks of another draft while I am still alive.
If they are drafting at 20 or later every year that will mean they made the playoffs or they were dumb enough to trade a higher pick to move into the 20’s.
Hey I hope so too. It would be really nice to have pick #32 for once. I'm just going off of what we've done in the past. If Tua is the guy then we should be picking in the 20's regularly. If he's not then we'll probably be picking top 5 again soon.

Next time we fleece a team like we did Houston

2022 because we will trade #3 to a desperate and stupid franchise to move down a few spots and get their 2022 pick, which will blow up in their faces like Houston.
hope you're right.. hoping maybe the Lions want to move up

There is no qb worth drafting top 3 besides lawrence

Back
Top Bottom