when people talk about marino...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

when people talk about marino......

nolefin

thank you
Reaction score
I was at work today and me and the guys were talking about the greatest players ever in each sport and we got to talking about da man marino and it just ticked me off because everyone was saying ahh if he had won the big game he would be the best qb ever.but they also in the same conversation said barry bonds(no ring yet) was the best and they even metioned karl malone(no ring) as being the best power foward ever why does having a ring in football make you one of the best but not in other sports?winning a ring is a team award not a individual award! marino= greatest qb ever ring or no ring

People who use the ring excuse are idiots. It takes a team to win a title especially in football. Dan Marino did not play defense, he did not play running back. He was, in large part the main reason for our reason for success not a reason for our failures.

No one said it better than this quote i picked up (forget where i found it): "You can talk about championships all you want, but if you were playing football against Satan, down by four points with two minutes left in the game, and your immortal soul was on the line, there's only one person you'd want quarterbacking your team, and that's Daniel Constantine Marino."

The end :)

People say that because the best players are unconscious associated to their big glory moments..so,as marino hadn't had one of those, he's kind of forgotten...IMO Montana was not as great as Marino though you'll always remember him leading the Niners to the Superbowls and that will enlight his overall success and abilities..
Marino was great, we know that, and for most of us he is the best of all time, cause he played for the phins and nobody knows better than us how good he was...For an average NFL fan, other teams fans, it will often occur to their minds as Marino, the guy that was amazing, but not amazing enough.
If he had a ring this thought would never cross people's minds and 90% of the NFL fan base would say, Marino was for sure, the best ever to play the game.
:(

I think it has to do with the high expectations and glorification placed upon the QB position. Power forward and a baseball player dont match up to the role a QB plays in the eyes of history. A QB is the leader, he gets the ball first, he makes the offense go, he leads the team to victory. The QUARTERBACK.

Of course we know that a QB relies on timing, schemes, an o-line, a good running game, play calling, etc. and that he isnt the sole reason a team exceeds. But that doesnt mean that the role of the QB in the eyes of casual fan will lessen anytime soon.

Marino rewrote the NFL record books! He's lead or is still currently leading almost every known passing record in NFL history!

Read my signature!

...anyway who gives a rip about what others think? We know that Dan is the Man! :D

im as big a marino fan as most of you and will always consider him MY favorite qb of all time.

but him never winning a superbowl being a factor as to why he isnt considered the greatest is very valid. when you think of the best EVER...wouldnt you expect them to lift their team to greatness too? i mean there is a million reaons for and against this very topic but even in my eyes, i would say that when it came down to it, joe montana is probably my choice for greatest ever followed by dan. i just dont think you can say the best is someone who never achieved the ultimate goal every player strives for and every qb hopes to lead his team to.

Dan Marino BEST QB ever.....forget the Haters.

Atila said:
im as big a marino fan as most of you and will always consider him MY favorite qb of all time.

but him never winning a superbowl being a factor as to why he isnt considered the greatest is very valid. when you think of the best EVER...wouldnt you expect them to lift their team to greatness too? i mean there is a million reaons for and against this very topic but even in my eyes, i would say that when it came down to it, joe montana is probably my choice for greatest ever followed by dan. i just dont think you can say the best is someone who never achieved the ultimate goal every player strives for and every qb hopes to lead his team to.
Thats exactly the point though; team sports dictate that you need help to reach team goals. 1 man is not responsible for the teams success or failures except in very rare cases and sports.

I guess Ill never understand how people relate not winning a title to being the greatest ever when 1 is an individual accomplishment and 1 is based on team success. :confused:

What defines the great quarterbacks from the best in the NFL is a ring. Being a quarterback is more than stats. The quarterback is the leader of the team. To be considered as one of the best, a qb has to lead to his team to the big game and win. Runningbacks don't lead teams to championships, so using Barry Sanders as example just doesn't work.

Wagon Circler said:
What defines the great quarterbacks from the best in the NFL is a ring. Being a quarterback is more than stats. The quarterback is the leader of the team. To be considered as one of the best, a qb has to lead to his team to the big game and win. Runningbacks don't lead teams to championships, so using Barry Sanders as example just doesn't work.

:blah:

Back
Top Bottom