When Timbo retires... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When Timbo retires...

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
within 10-15 years down the road, would you consider putting him in the Dolphins ring of honor? I would and here's why...

1. The defensive tackle it not a position that gets huge numbers, however the DT still can change the nature of the opposing team's offense. Look no further than former Patriot Ted Washington a few years ago or Warren Sapp of 5 years ago. Timbo did what these guys could do for a number of years, and I believe he made the pro bowl a few times....

2. I don't want to take away anything from Zach Thomas because he is a hell of a player, but he can credit part of his production to big tim bowens clogging running lanes.

3. If Bowens were to play this year, it would be his 11th year, all with the Miami Dolphins! Of those 11, he was pretty damn good for about 9 of those years. There are only a few DTs that have had long careers like this guy. He is our last link to the Shula era.

4. Like Dwight Stephenson, there is no doubt in my mind that injuries took a toll on Tim Bowens. I'm sure his back has been bothering him for years.

5. This isnt material to go into the ring of honor, but I just wanted to say that timbo is a stand-up guy. As far as I can remember, he never got in trouble and has never been vocal about contracts. I hope that when he is done with football, his body doesnt break down on him and he can have a healthy long life. (which can be a challenge for former linemen). A few years ago we yelled "Big Tim Bowens" and he would always turn around and say hello to us.

I want to see Timbo in the ring of honor sometime down the line when he calls it a career, what do you guys think?

I think he should be in the ring of honor. I'll miss the guy that's for sure. Injuries suck.

I believe it goes without saying Bowens is considerably one of the best people to wear a fins uniform. Countless times he has taken a pay cut without dispute, works his *** off every offseason, and has never caused any problems. Not to mention his presence on the field has been huge in many games, and considerably a major factor in Zach's success in the NFL.

MiamiDolfans said:
I believe it goes without saying Bowens is considerably one of the best people to wear a fins uniform. Countless times he has taken a pay cut without dispute, works his *** off every offseason, and has never caused any problems. Not to mention his presence on the field has been huge in many games, and considerably a major factor in Zach's success in the NFL.

I couldnt have said it any better myself.

I agree. Timbo, if he retires, has to be given at least consideration for the Ring of Honor. It's a borderline case, but deserves consideration. However, there is no doubt that Timbo has been a rock in our franchise for 10 years. He deserves all our praises! I also hope he doesn't do long term damage (beyond what he has already done) to his body.

JT and Zach definitely in the Ring but Timbo I would say is borderline.

I agree 100%. Zach is great, however, w/o Timbo Zach would have been less effective, injured, etc. Timbo was the center or a pretty good D for a decade and I will miss his steady contribution. He was taken for granted because of the nature of a DT's dirty work in the trenches, but every week phin fans knew that teams weren't going to just run over us w Timbo in the middle. Here's to you Timbo.

I would definatly put Timbo in the Ring of Honor. I hope he can come back from his injury and play atleast this year too.

poppy said:
I agree. Timbo, if he retires, has to be given at least consideration for the Ring of Honor. It's a borderline case, but deserves consideration. However, there is no doubt that Timbo has been a rock in our franchise for 10 years. He deserves all our praises! I also hope he doesn't do long term damage (beyond what he has already done) to his body.

That's what makes him so great though, we all know the damage that is done, and we are all concerned, but still he is working his hardest to come back. He is putting his love for the game, and this team ahead of himself, and his body.

That in my opinion can seperate a good player, from a great player.

I remember a game against Buffalo a few years ago. I believe it was 1998 or 1999. Anyway, Buffalo swapped their guards around because Timbo was manhandling whoever it was they had in front of him. You don't see teams just switching the guards around during the course of a game like that. There was once a time where there wasn't a single linemen in the league that could handle Tim Bowens one on one. He was one of the few defensive linemen in the league that commanded a double team on every play, because he'd kill you if you tried to single block him. Tim had 5 sacks as a rookie when he won defensive rookie of the year, but he was never asked to rush the passer much after that. He always flashed the ability to do so though.

MiamiDolfans said:
I have him there now...

as much as JT, or Zach will ever be anyway...

I don't know who is there now for sure, but AJ Duhe, Bob Baumhauer and Manny Fernandez belong there before Timbo...no doubt he plays a position, especially in the JJ/Wanny D, where the play of the DTs goes relatively unnoticed and it is clearly an issue when the position is played poorly, but no, untill these other guys are in the ring..no Timbo...

Tim Bo has always been one of my favorite players as well. I remember a story that ran in Dolphin Digest, back in Tim's rookie year. Tim was just this giant raw boned man child, from Mississippi. He was not great at making friends when he first got here and there was some sort of deal where the rooks had to carry other players equipment out to the practice field. If you refused the vets would gang up on you and tape you to the goal post.

As the story goes, Tim was told of the tradition and said he was no man's slave and wouldn't do it. He picked up his gear and headed out. After practice everyone was all joking around and decided he was going to get taped up. A few OLman and some others tried to get a hold of him, and he got crazy. He later said in the paper that he didn't know what they were going to do, but he didn't know these guys and they wouldn't be taping him ANYWHERE.

Needless to say, he never got taped. lol Always thought that was a great story, and liked him for it. I don't blame him, if I was new I wouldn't go for that jazz either. lol

I think he absolutely belongs there. He has been a rock on our defense for a decade. Injuries have taken its toll, but what he has done for this team you can't measure. The reason I like the guy the most is for what 3-4 years in a row now the guy has taken a paycut to stay with the team. It may not look like much this year because his worth is down, but in this day and age in football you just don't see that. TimBo without a doubt belongs in the ring.

Back
Top Bottom