When was the last time Miami found a true gem on Day 2? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When was the last time Miami found a true gem on Day 2?

Maggot Brain

Trade Bait
Reaction score
In my opinion one of the main reasons for Miami's late season slides has been their inability to hit on late round draft picks. To those ends when was the last time a second day pick made an impact on the Dolphin roster? The obvious answer to this question would be Randy McMichael (2002, round 4), but I consider fourth round picks to essentially be first day picks that slipped through the cracks (which is why I highly covet them). In lieu of that, to answer my own question, I'd have to say Zach Thomas (1996, round 5) in terms of true impact and Jermaine Haley (1999, round 7) in terms of any impact. Hopefully with Spielman now in charge of the draft they'll be able to cull a few diamonds out of the later rounds rough.

I like how you ask a question and then immediately change the rules so that it suits your argument.

Why not just say when was the last time we have found an impact player in the 5th or less??

The obvious response is... how many impact players TOTAL are founf in the 5th round or less. There are 1 maybe 2 guys per year... and we just haven't lucked out yet. (unless you want to count undrafted Ogunleye)

grooves12 said:
I like how you ask a question and then immediately change the rules so that it suits your argument.

Why not just say when was the last time we have found an impact player in the 5th or less??

The obvious response is... how many impact players TOTAL are founf in the 5th round or less. There are 1 maybe 2 guys per year... and we just haven't lucked out yet. (unless you want to count undrafted Ogunleye)

I was thinkin' the exact same thing.

While not a "gem", I believe that Arturo Freeman was a 5th round draft pick. I believe Freeman started all of the 2002 season and played in the dime packages last year. Not bad return for a 5th round pick.

I'm also holding out some hope for Yeremiah Bell - 6th round pick from last year.

grooves12 said:

Exactly what argument am I making here, Richard? Answer: I'm not making one. I just think teams' war rooms have an opportunity to shake out their draft boards over night to see who might have slid past round three for whatever reason and target them in round four.
Perhaps I should have said contributing players instead of impact ones. Going over Miami's draft history there are not many day 2 picks who made the roster more than a couple of years, even fewer who made any significant contribution, and one who has made an impact.
As far as day 2 impact players go didn't we just sign two of them away from Carolina? I believe James was a 6th rounder and Howard was undrafted. Also, didn't arch-rival New England go to war and win a Superbowl with several late round starters (and a couple of them being rookies at that)?

So just breathe deep, relax and know that the draft is only 61.5 hours away.

I can't beleave this already hasn't been said, but Zach Frigging Thomas was a 5th round choice. Wasn't Taylor a 3rd, and McMichael a 3rd, and Chambers a 2nd. I agree that Dave has done a horrible job on the 2nd day people were throwing stones at me last year for making the same point, but it is a crap shoot. For every 1 Tom Brady that actully contributes(not expecting Super Bowl MVP) there 100 guys that don't even make the team. You could say the GMs or coaches who found the gems late are geniuses, but more realalisticly they are very very lucky. Like people that win the lottery.

If you want to bash our drafting you have to look at our recent first round blunders, and the squandering of 2nd round picks for 3rd round picks and a QB that we probably could have gotten for a 3rd or 4th. I don't buy in to Dave's philosaphy that a 3rd this year is worth a 2nd next year. We got 2 LBs with those picks. 1 is invisable as a starter seriously I have watched every game that Greenwood has played and heard his name like 4 times, and the other guy spent the season on the IR. The first round is a whole nother story. The only good first round pick we have made in the past 5 years is when we didn't have one because we gave it up to get Ricky. Jamar Fletcher when Fred Smoot is available, trading out of our place and leaving Randy Moss on the board. It makes me sick!

4 Deon Dyer (117) FB North Carolina
5 Arturo Freeman (152) S South Carolina

none

5b Sam Simmons (170) WR Northwestern
(compensatory pick from NFL)
7b Leonard Henry (241) RB East Carolina
(from Chicago in QB Cade McNown deal)

5a Donald Lee (156) TE Mississippi State
5b J.R. Tolver (169) WR San Diego State
6a Corey Jenkins (181) LB South Carolina
(from Carolina in draft day trade-up)
6d Yeremiah Bell (213) S Eastern Kentucky

http://www.miamidolphins.com/history/alltimedraftchoices/alltimedraftchoices9.asp#2003

still need to waint on last 2 drafts, but certainly there have only been getting what you'd expect from 2nd day picks, not more Zach's

We found a geam on day 3. Ogun as he wasn't drafted but we got him after the draft was over.

Ozzy rules!!

I think donald lee is going to be a really good TE. His blocking is brilliant, and he has proven that he is a more than capable receiver.

Maggot Brain said:
Exactly what argument am I making here, Richard? Answer: I'm not making one. ... Going over Miami's draft history there are not many day 2 picks who made the roster more than a couple of years, even fewer who made any significant contribution, and one who has made an impact.

I beleive THAT was your argument... and like i said. You can't conveniently leave Randy McMichael off that list. But my REAL point was go over the roster of ANY team in the league and find me more than 2-3 players on the roster that were drafted by THAT team that made any significant impact.

The Dolphins are doing no worse than any other team at lower round drafting, and the fact that they have 1 pro-bowler (Ogunleye) and 1 soon-to-be pro-bowler (McMichael) is doing great I think.

Back
Top Bottom