When Will Dolphins Bad Luck Change? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When Will Dolphins Bad Luck Change?

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins have really had a lot of tough luck through the last couple of decades.

The one year the Dolphins do really bad and draft #2 - had to be one of the weakest top of the drafts in years. Nothing against Ronnie Brown, but he's not proven to be an LT type player. Nor was he expected to be one that year.

This year, there are a number of potential hall-of-fame type players who will be at the top. Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, as well as two QB's who are certainly rated higher than the ones when Miami was at #2. Even last year, there were 3 QB's better than any of the top five picks in the previous draft. Forget all the strategy and intelligence - there's nothing you can do about the talent pool. And, of course, add that to the fact that Wannspiel traded away the 2nd round pick before that year - which was equivalent to a late 1st - what a waste!

The Dolphins free agent signings have also not worked out great. How many top signings have really become stars? We were fortunate along the DL two years ago - with some cap casualty vets who did a good job (Holliday, Carter, Traylor). But, Jeno James is probably one of the top FA's signed in the last several years (in terms of age and having played exceptionally well for Carolina the previous season) - yet, he's been a shell of the player he was at Carolina. The WR position signings haven't worked out in years. The last guy I can recall who really came in and tore it up there was Irving Fryer.

Hopefully we will have some good fortune this year. I also think Wayne needs to get Meuller under a long term deal and develop some stability. He really is the first legit GM who seems to know what he is doing (and has the experience to back it up) in the draft. JJ was pretty good at that but I think he needed a bit more help and his drafting skills seemed limited to defense (though, in his defense, he also had some bad luck in the WR from Miami - can't recall his name - who's injuries did him in).

Thoughts on turning around the fortune? Is having a true GM for the first time in ... forever ... just the "luck" we need?

Hang in there buddy, things are about to get better. For the first time in Fins history the GM is finally in charge of the draft, which makes more sense than giving the HC all that control. HC's are notorious for their poor drafting ability, they tend to go with their heart. Give Randy Mueller a chance, you might just be surprised.

Hang in there buddy, things are about to get better. For the first time in Fins history the GM is finally in charge of the draft, which makes more sense than giving the HC all that control. HC's are notorious for their poor drafting ability, they tend to go with their heart. Give Randy Mueller a chance, you might just be surprised.

Yes,wisdom.
Finally back to a proper football power structure.
Owner>VP>GM>Coach.
This is the way it was the last time we WON a Super Bowl.

Fortune favors the BOLD.

We have to make it happen. A ruthless,aggresive rebuilding year would turn this organization around. It would take only 1 year of making trades for draft picks and dumping mediocre players with big contracts.

We could easily enter next years offseason with 40 million in cap room and 8-11 draft picks.

I seriously doubt they have the guts for it, and the vast majority of the fans would not understand.

If you think thats not possible take a look at the 49ers situation this year.

I don't really see that we have had bad luck. The Dolphins still have the best overall record of any team since the AFL/NFL merger. The Dolphins just have not been able to win a SB since the early 70's. I think if we could get a QB like Quinn and a few key players we could win a SB in the next 2-3 years.

this is a good thread and i have been asking the same thing for 6 years now. I will tell you all that we have had mostly bad front office moves and bad coaching decissions that hurt us more then a lack of talent and goofy players.

The Dolphins have really had a lot of tough luck through the last couple of decades.

The one year the Dolphins do really bad and draft #2 - had to be one of the weakest top of the drafts in years. Nothing against Ronnie Brown, but he's not proven to be an LT type player. Nor was he expected to be one that year.

This year, there are a number of potential hall-of-fame type players who will be at the top. Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, as well as two QB's who are certainly rated higher than the ones when Miami was at #2. Even last year, there were 3 QB's better than any of the top five picks in the previous draft. Forget all the strategy and intelligence - there's nothing you can do about the talent pool. And, of course, add that to the fact that Wannspiel traded away the 2nd round pick before that year - which was equivalent to a late 1st - what a waste!

The Dolphins free agent signings have also not worked out great. How many top signings have really become stars? We were fortunate along the DL two years ago - with some cap casualty vets who did a good job (Holliday, Carter, Traylor). But, Jeno James is probably one of the top FA's signed in the last several years (in terms of age and having played exceptionally well for Carolina the previous season) - yet, he's been a shell of the player he was at Carolina. The WR position signings haven't worked out in years. The last guy I can recall who really came in and tore it up there was Irving Fryer.

Hopefully we will have some good fortune this year. I also think Wayne needs to get Meuller under a long term deal and develop some stability. He really is the first legit GM who seems to know what he is doing (and has the experience to back it up) in the draft. JJ was pretty good at that but I think he needed a bit more help and his drafting skills seemed limited to defense (though, in his defense, he also had some bad luck in the WR from Miami - can't recall his name - who's injuries did him in).

Thoughts on turning around the fortune? Is having a true GM for the first time in ... forever ... just the "luck" we need?

Yatil Green

I've kinda shifted into "guarded-optimism" mode ... I hope for the best, but I don't really expect it. I've tired of working myself up every year, and then getting drained emotionally.

Going for the wait and see approach.

This thread makes me feel sorry for Dan Marino,,that man dealt with an inept franchise when it came to drafting,trading and signing,,that trend has continued somewhat.

I like Mueller however his track record shows he's excellent in judging talent on the offensive side and pathetic on the defensive side,hopefully capers will have some input.

finally,as much as i despise saban and his wretched wife mrs. satan i think he did an excellent job drafting the past two years.

THat..

Thats is true, thing are about to get better. THEY CAN NOT GET WORTS!!:sidelol: GO DOLPHINS!!:mad: :dolphins:

Ok, ummm so sry Ronnie Brown hasnt turned into an LT type player......pretty sure there are about 3 backs in nfl history who are "LT" type backs.....A Larry Johnson type Back Ronnie Brown is.....nearly the same ypc, problem is Johnson gets 25-28 carries a game and actually has pass plays hes designed to benefit from....Hopefully now that Cams here Ronnie will get used like he should have been......now as for the rest of the post, I agree we have been given some poor luck, but its the NFL, bad luck can become great luck quickly...have faith my man

Unfortunately, we've made a lot of our own bad luck by making bad choices and then even worse one's to try and make up for the first bad one's. It's been everything from coaches, draft picks, free agents, and trades. It all starts to change once we put someone in place who REALLY knows what they are doing. I'm guarded, but optimistic about Cam. Hopefully between him and Mueller, we can start to turn things around here early in 07 and moving forward. We also need to understand that years of bad luck/decisions cannot be fixed in one year either. It will take him a couple years but things will get better!

Ronnie brown showed he could play dont dout him if he would have a good o-line maybe we could do something we also need a fullback this guy will be the best in the NFL in a couple years

When Wayne H sells this damn team then the team "Bad Luck will change.

Dont put all your money on Mueller hes had VERY good and VERY bad drafts.

Back
Top Bottom