When will Wanny put his best players on the field? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When will Wanny put his best players on the field?

MiamiTrooper

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Wanny needs to put all sentiments aside and put his best players on the field. I think he has personal attachments to certain players that clouds his decision-making. A few come to mind.

#1. Fiedler - I think Wanny has a personal attachment to Fiedler, keeping him as the starter when there are better QBs on the team. It is quite possible that Fiedler is the THIRD-BEST QB on the team, behind Griese and Sage. We will see what he does this week now that Griese has showed he can run the offense.

#2. Ruddy - This guy has been a somewhat mediocre center, playing decent at some times. Wanny did try to bring in that center from Chicago a few years back (Olin Kreutz, i believe) but other than that, he has been pretty stubborn about keeping Ruddy in there. Seth McKinney could be better than Ruddy, and it might be a good idea to start McKinney from here on out. Ruddy is playing like he is over-the-hill.

#3. Derrius Thompson - In my eyes, this guy is a bust. He has shown me next to nothing. I can remember him missing more plays plays than he makes. That is a very bad thing. wanny will be stubborn about this, because demoting Derrius would mean that he is admitting that he screwed up by signing Derrius and then not drafting/trading for/ signing another free agent WR. Meanwhile, J.R. Tolver and Sam Simmons are wasting away.

Wanny's job is to put the best team on the field. He is not doing his job. Feel free to add other players to this list.

I think we should start mckinney and play ruddy at guard. Nails doesnt seem to be recovered from his injury

then put mckinney at guard in which he played last year and keep ruddy at center

As I have said for the last 2 weeks, O Line is our biggest problem.... and its true Ruddy is missing assignments left and right... The best thing I can say aout him is at least he didn't get any holds called against him(at least that I saw)...

The problem I think Wanny has with supplantinig him with Seth is that he doesn't recognize defensive formations as well as Ruddy (surely due to lack of experience)... So its a trade off, experience for raw talent and ability. Ruddy can give the rest of the O the heads up on what comming and get beat himself... Or McKinney, who may not get beat as often, but you run the risk of others getting beat because they don't know whats comming.

Last edited by a moderator:
McKinney was very bad the game Ruddy was out, does noone remember that? That's the entire reason we rushed Ruddy back.

Nails is playing better than Perry IMO. He should be a RG anyway, Dixon at LG and Nails to RG.

No he didn't play "Bad"... that game was agaisnt the Giants and its well known that they spent the whole game using illegal holds... Wanny's problem with McKinney, as I just said, is that he doesn't have the experience to call out the proper blocking schemes according to the defense he is lined up against.

I agree that thompson is no Gadsden thus far and we need to sit him more often. I am one of the few people who would like to see more of James McKnight. It's tough for me to be sold on Simmons and Tolver by what they did in training camp and in pre-season. I know nobody likes McKnight becuase of the bonehead moves he makes from time to time but he is the 2nd best receiver on this team. He was the best receiver at the end of 2002 when Chris Chambers dissapeared and has been more consistant thn Derius Thompson in limited action. Thompson looks so awkward out there at times.

Originally posted by MiamiTrooper
Wanny needs to put all sentiments aside and put his best players on the field. I think he has personal attachments to certain players that clouds his decision-making. A few come to mind.

Believe it or not Wanny is an NFL coach for a reason. Even the worst NFL coach could field a better team then you and I. That said, it is rediculous to believe a coach will not field his best players. Especially one who's job is at stake. You haven't seen Tolver/Simmons play an NFL regular season game. You have no idea of their potential or their problems. So to assume you know more then the coach based on preseason is arrogant ignorance.

Re: Re: When will Wanny put his best players on the field?

Originally posted by plc001
So to assume you know more then the coach based on preseason is arrogant ignorance.

I have created new words for just such a situation:

ignarrogant (adj) - exaggerating one's own worth or importance in an overbearing manner while at the same time lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified

ignarrogance (noun) - a state of being ignarrogant.

I use them all the time since the trait is so common.

Originally posted by Z28&dolfan
I agree that thompson is no Gadsden thus far and we need to sit him more often. I am one of the few people who would like to see more of James McKnight. It's tough for me to be sold on Simmons and Tolver by what they did in training camp and in pre-season. I know nobody likes McKnight becuase of the bonehead moves he makes from time to time but he is the 2nd best receiver on this team. He was the best receiver at the end of 2002 when Chris Chambers dissapeared and has been more consistant thn Derius Thompson in limited action. Thompson looks so awkward out there at times.

i agree....mcknight has made mistakes in the past...but he sure as heck has made some clutch and big plays

i wanted thompson to be good but he dropped a big one last night and hasn't really contributed anything.........god i hope griese plays as well against indy as he did last night........finally shut all the fiedler-lovers up

Re: Re: Re: When will Wanny put his best players on the field?

Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo

I have created new words for just such a situation:

ignarrogant (adj) - exaggerating one's own worth or importance in an overbearing manner while at the same time lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified

ignarrogance (noun) - a state of being ignarrogant.

I use them all the time since the trait is so common.

Funniest thing I heard all day.

Wanny's unwillingness to bench unproductive veteran starters in favor of players with more potential is just one of his more annoying personal failings.

I wonder why Wanny won't willingly work whippersnappers while wasting whatever wemaining (ooops, aww... to heck with it!) second half leads we have? If he's going to go into conservative mode anyway why not get some game time to the youngsters. It's not as if he's going to try and score or anything so why risk injury to our starters?

Back
Top Bottom