Where Did Brian Flores Rank On Your List Of Available/hired Hcs? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where Did Brian Flores Rank On Your List Of Available/hired Hcs?

I hate this hire. Belichick has a terrible coaching tree, and this guy has done nothing. I really thought Jim Harbaugh was coming. The media kept talking about him and Ross being buds

This is gonna be very unpopular but I would have rather have kept Gase

Of the Hcs hired and/or available including Flores, rank your order of preference and why?

For me:
1. Fangio – track record of success and plenty of respect as a defensive mastermind. He’s worked over the years with both good and bad Hcs and likely is afforded the perspective to understand what works and what doesn’t

2. Flores – for all the reasons discussed ad nauseum, including right age, high character and winners mindset

3. Arians – proven offensive maven but essentially quit on AZ, possibly has lost a step or 2 with age and has had some severe health issues that could interfere with continuity

4. Rizzi – good soldier who got some results but also had some failures. Very enthusiastic and enthusiastically endorsed by most players who overlapped with him on the Phins. Deserved a chance, and certainly more than the phony interview opportunity afforded him.

5. McCarthy – unenthusiastically because he’s resting on ancient laurels and had only limited success with one of the all time great Qbs. Also another HC who would insist on calling his own previously unimpressive plays

6. Richard – my first choice but was concerned that his “intensity” was a Mike Singletary vibe turnoff. However, I’d have preferred him until I read that he was likely to use our offer as leverage with Jerry Jones for $$ and assurances, so **** him.

7. Matt Fleur His 1 year as Titans OC was unimpressive. His previous year as OC under Sean McVay conjures up questions why he left for TN. True he was Matt Ryans QC coach but really with Aaron Rodgers, that favorable ability is the least of GB’s needs. At least he has pro experience in responsible capacities

8. Kliff Kingsbury He was fired for a losing 3 year record for a 2nd tier college and IMO the OC at USC would have been a career step up. I give him little credit for coaching Mahomes, a transformational talent I’m sure many other college coaches could have also brought the best in him out of (probably not Sherman though LOL)

9. Zac Taylor another “works with McVay” beneficiary as Goff’s QB coach. IMO he gets credit for the work McVay did to turn around Goff, is barely qualified to be a HC and then again there’s always the danger of him bringing his father in law into the organization – which to me is even more dreaded than Gase & Joe Vitt.

10. Others including Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan and other mostly retreads.

Yours?

I wasn't that impressed with any of the candidates this year. Fangio seems like he could be a Mike Zimmer type (though less of a hothead)...which would have done some good for us I suppose. I've been a fan of his for some time...but he's getting up there in years and I don't know if the situation we've got going now would have really suited him well.

Flores wasn't a bad hire, I don't think. He's certainly got all of the capabilities that one would want in a head coach, and I do like how he's been building the staff as well (it's definitely not a staph). I liked the retentions he made...I wish he would have been able to keep Rizzi, but it seems like that was just destined to fail.

Richard was my top choice and I think we may regret not going with him but have since warmed to Flores after reading more and more about his qualities as a coach and a person. I hope it translates well to this organization because we need it.

Of the ones we actually interviewed he was only above Dennis Allen for me, but I’ve warmed to him a bit lately. Hopefully he can prove my initial impressions wrong and command an entire team.

My top choice outside of the interview process was Harbaugh, but that wasn’t going to happen.

My hope is that if Flores does fail at least we will be in better position with (hopefully) a franchise QB to land a good veteran coach.

He wasn’t even on my radar. To me, this is the least risky gamble for Ross, as he gets a HC associated with a winning organization. It might even be the reason he kept Grier, as he had inroads with Flores. Unfortunately, B.B. trained HC’s don’t typically do well, and his only accomplishment is leading one of Worst NE defenses in quite some time.

I hope for the best, but history isn’t exactly on our side here. I fully expect to lose every game against NE for the foreseeable future. I really hope I am wrong.

Still, the Flores hire, good or bad, means absolutely nothing if Grier isn’t amazing at his job.

I hate this hire. Belichick has a terrible coaching tree, and this guy has done nothing. I really thought Jim Harbaugh was coming. The media kept talking about him and Ross being buds

This is gonna be very unpopular but I would have rather have kept Gase
The harbaugh connections were drawn because of Ross' connection to Michigan. There was nothing that ever convinced me that the phins expressed even remote interest. It was a pure speculation point.

But Flores was higher than I realized. I had him ranked 4th behind only Arians, Richard and Fangio. I tend to avoid retreads because they tend to not be successful after they are fired. I also avoided guys with limited experience (Kingsbury, Taylor, Lafleur) because that didn't end well the last two times. But still number 4 was being generous

IMHO, it was a bad year to go looking for a new head coach. I wasn't enamored with the field.

Of the guys we interviewed, I didn't see any sharp young offensive coordinator guru, and that was my first choice. My second choice would have been a sharp young defensive coordinator guru, but none of those guys really convinced me, although the jury is still out on a few.

From the list we had, I liked
1. Bruce Arians - but he's not going to be around very long … but he is good and that's the most important criteria.
2. Vic Fangio - also not going to be around long, but also good, just on the defensive side.

After that there were a few I was hoping we might interview but didn't, such as Eberflus who Josh McDaniels recruited to Indanapolis before McDaniels went back on his agreement and stayed at New England. Eberflus didn't have great talent, but his defenses were performing higher than I ever expected possible. Similarly, I would have been interested in Wink Martindale, DC of Baltimore. It's kinda tough to tell with Baltimore, because their defense is always good despite the DC, but from what I've heard Martindale is exceptional. Unfortunately, Ross' crush on the Harbaughs led us to take a hands-off approach with their coordinators.

Flores wasn't really on my radar, but it's time to give him a chance and our support. Let's hope he ends up being the right choice. And, let's not judge him too harshly if he sucks in year 1, because remember … that's the plan.

I'm in the wasn't particularly high on any of the candidates but will wait for them to start humping doorknobs before I unleash the fury boat. Hopes ain't exactly high though. Why would they be to anyone paying attention?

Last of the 6 people they said they wanted to talk to but I'm willing to give him a chance and see how he does.

My top three where Fangio, Richard and Flores with Fangio being at the top of the list. I hope when the team is talking about "rebuilding" they are also going to help build Flores for the long term and not to be out of here in three years. I would have to do the research but I wonder what the number of head coaches to the number of QB's brought in since Marino. This team needs to stabilize, build a vision and move forward with conviction.

Back
Top Bottom