Where Did Brian Flores Rank On Your List Of Available/hired Hcs? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where Did Brian Flores Rank On Your List Of Available/hired Hcs?

I'm content with how it played out. As I have said before, my hope is that Ross has learned from his prior follies.

I definitely didn't want an aging guy. I like that we reached for the high reward guy. He could be a John Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin. It may not be a slam dunk but I am not ruling it out.

It's hard to accept, but we don't know. We aren't in interviews or in meetings. We have a hard time judging the candidates beyond superficiality.

I could just as easily be negative and I don't blame anyone for being that way because the track record here is dismal. But I choose to give him a chance and be optimistic.

I like the narrative around Flores.

I was interested in Fangio and Ariens in no particular order. I thought brass would go with someone having more experience, but not disappointed in Flores because of his consistent climb through the ladder of a pretty successful franchise (god that hurt to write)! I am happy they have someone with experience assisting him though.

He wasn't on my radar either. In fact he didn't seem to be on any other teams radar either,considering his lack of other teams interviews. He definitely wasn't a sought after candidate. He got hired based on the buddy system and that worries me. how is our Gm going to react if he loses bad for the first 2-3 years, will he treat him like anyone else or will he be kept way to long?

I hope he turns out to be a great HC,but i have my doubts.

He wasn't on my radar either. In fact he didn't seem to be on any other teams radar either,considering his lack of other teams interviews. He definitely wasn't a sought after candidate. He got hired based on the buddy system and that worries me. how is our Gm going to react if he loses bad for the first 2-3 years, will he treat him like anyone else or will he be kept way to long?

I hope he turns out to be a great HC,but i have my doubts.
You could double check me, but I believe he also interviewed for the Broncos and Packers HC position.. and was on Cleveland's radar although I don't know if he ever got in front of them.

So that would be interviews and/or requests to interview by 4 out of the 8 openings this season ... I'd say he was reasonably popular.

Last edited:
#2 out of a list of names I really didn't have much of a strong opinion about anyway

I thought Gase was a winner, and I'd venture most people are remarkably average to below average at identifying good coaches, probably moreso than players.

so yea, #2 for me, and I like the staff we've put together since.

We'll have to see ho "excited" the current brass is to pay Dola 6,000,000 bucks.

Im curious, what WR is going to catch passes in tbe middle of the field if he leaves?. Nobody on the roster excpet maybe wilson on occasion. Surely not a TE.

Sorry -Not as to hijack the thread topic Vaark- I like Chambers thoughts and list.

I didn’t bother to rank any potential hires. I have zero information and even if I did there’s no way to predict a rookie HC’s success. There are way to many variables.

Someone on Twitter went as far as to guarantee Eric Bienemy would be a great hire. LMAO
First of all how can anyone make that claim? Second, why is he receiving ZERO interest after his initial round of interviews?

Brian Flores - LB - Patriots
The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports the Dolphins will hire Patriots DC Brian Flores as head coach.

The writing has been on the wall for Flores to join the Fins for some time now, and the deal is expected to be finalized a mere 24 hours after the Super Bowl. Flores has previously spent his entire 15-season career with the Patriots. The soon-to-be ex-DC is also expected to hire Patrick Graham as his defensive coordinator and current Pats WRs coach Chad O'Shea as his offensive play-caller. The new staff in place will attempt to mimic New England's offense without Ryan Tannehill, who the Herald reported on Friday would likely be released this offseason.

I liked Arians the best and Fangio second because they were older, more established, and could establish a winning culture. They wouldn't be here long because of their age but could hand a more finished product to a younger coach. I was originally bummed by Flores, specifically because NE coaches seem to always flop. However, he's definitely growing on me and I really like the staff he's assembling - at least according to the rumors.

I had never heard of him so he wasn’t on my list. I wanted a veteran coach but I’m on the Flores wagon now. At least, until we start to suck.

Thought very highly of Vic Fangio, and came to warm up quite a bit to Kris Richard.

Was initially high on Flores based on resume, cooled off on him a little bit once I started to get more exposure to him and couldn't escape the thought that it's just too soon for him.

But it didn't take long after he was announced and his assistant staff started to take form that I became very, very impressed with his approach. Having guys like Jim Caldwell, Kliff Kingsbury, and Greg Roman on his list of help on the offensive side of the ball, attempting to recruit Brett Bielema on the defensive side, snagging Karl Dorrell for wide receivers, Marion Hobby for defensive line, Danny Crossman on special teams, and then knowing which existing Dolphins assistants to lobby hard to keep in town (Eric Studesville and Tony Oden)...all of this is very impressive, to me.

I don't generally like the head coach hiring coordinators simply because he worked with them before...but I can semi-forgive Flores going with guys he knows like Chad O'Shea and Patrick Graham, because everywhere I check around the league, they have excellent reputations and were going to be pursued for coordinator positions anyway. They're no worse than Adam Gase bringing Vance Joseph with him, for example.

I think there might have been a missed opportunity going with Pat Flaherty instead of Dave DeGuglielmo. But I do appreciate that Flaherty brings championship caliber experience to the table, which you absolutely could NOT say about Chris Foerster, and I also appreciate that Flores apparently hired Flaherty based on his resume and availability, not the fact that he coached with him once upon a time somewhere.

I'm a little worried about George Godsey, as Detroit seemed ready to run him out of town, which is odd since Matt Patricia had a prior relationship with him. I'm not sure his units have really performed impressively over time.

I don't know anything about Rob Leonard. Olivier Vernon certainly did well this year. Lorenzo Carter was a rookie and did well for one.

Overall though you have to look at a staff that has a total of 12 Super Bowl Championships, 21 Conference Championships, and 4 NCAA Championships...and recognize that regardless of what you thought about Brian Flores heading into all this, what he's done since then has been pretty impressive.

Point blank truth, so try to be able to deal with this:

If Ross decides on a re-build and concludes that EVERYONE in the building needs to go and to start over, then Chris Grier isn't around to make this hire and he doesn't just reach out to his buddy up in Foxborough, Mass. to offer him the head coaching job. Then there's no way possible that Brian Flores is named coach tomorrow.

Like all of you, I hope for the best. And like all of you, I remain a hostage of this team's continual perplexing moves.

Hey, sure hope it all works out! Would love to eat my words about Dolphins football. For once.

Oh.....so to the OP's actual question: Not too high. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom