where do the outside linebackers go? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

where do the outside linebackers go?

aesthetic

Practice Squad
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding dull and pessimistic (when that was such a finally exciting and optimistic offensive showing) I know I'd sure sleep easier if Bates and co. could just figure out where the heck our outside linebackers dissappear to every play. Anybody check the hot dog stand? or by the cheerleaders? or how about at a popular So Beach resturant? OK, I'll stop, now I'm just getting mean. But how tiring is it to watch the LB's be instinctual (ly late in making the play). I think our front four, and in turn, the whole defense, would be much better if we didn't ALWAYS send the LB's into coverage. And speaking of that coverage, on that first Lions' drive, didn't it seem that all the big plays were blown coverages by the LB's-Zach included? This was a fantastic game to watch for an offensive revival-and how long have we been waiting for that- but please Mr. Bates get these guys involved up front!
Of course, with that said, I understand the philosophy of bend don't break. IT"S JUST THAT I HATE IT SO MUCH! Making sure we don't give up big play and tightening up when we have less of a field to cover only works on youngster QB's (and only sometimes) Crafty vets (i.e. Manning and or -shiver- Testaverde) will pick us apart. In this rant, I'm starting to get flashbacks of Olividotti-dance-the nightgame-away---- more shivering. The way I see it is that our defense has been getting less and less dynamic and more and more predictable. I'm not basing this on yesterday's game either, as I would think that heat and humidity, even if you are used to it, is tough on everyone. It's been a slow bleed. And while some of that can be attributed to talent loss, I don't think that this current crop is that bad. However, what happend to the swarming? What happend to the sure tackling? What happend to the team speed never letting a RB get by? These are the things that make a defense dynamic and that starts with the linebackers. Not only, of course, but that's where it starts. Just look at the last few dominating D's such as what was the Ravens or the Steelers or even the Bears/Bucs. All linebacker play.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is why don't these outside linebackers get more involved? They are vet's and suppossed to be extremely athletic. Where do they go every play? Why can't Bates get them into positions to sniff out and make a play at the LOS or, as I look off dreaming, before? We have teams coming up on the sched that are the antithesis of the Lions and without some dynamic, take it to them, play from the defense we are in big trouble. Please Mr. Bates (Gailey) we have linebackers (fullbacks, TE's), USE THEM!

:(

I totally agree with you. Miami's defense is slowly becoming swiss cheese.
So while all of these offensive fan lovers have gotten a bellyfull from yesterday's game...I'm more concerned in how our defense is playing.

Bates is calling it very similar to what Olivadotti did. He is playing zone a heckuva lot too...where the LBs take steps back.
I also think that Derrick Rodgers has either lost a step or his head isn't in the game like it was when he was first drafted. He is complacent and not instinctive at all.

Due to the complications of the man zone coverage, our defense is susceptible to crossing, slants and square in/out routes all day long. These are intermediate routes that Miami fail to cover on consistent basis.

Pressure up front is also a concern. I'm surprised our defense didn't get much pressure on the Lion's QB!! Everyone knew when they would pass!

Yeah, I know it was garbage time...but even Zach and Jason mentioned that if they don't play better as a defensive unit next week, things could get ugly.

I agree, as well, about the LB play. I went round and round wiith Oliver a few days ago, so I won't re-hash that. But I do feel that we need to see improved play, especially from Rogers this year. I feel that Greenwood should develop nicely this year.

I can't understand why we do not scheme better for those shallow crossing routes that are killing us. You knw we will see it again and again from Indy.

I agree too, and I don't think it's an unreasonable complaint. We are getting burned on that part of the field fairly consistently(especially on the right side), and against the Farve's and people of that nature, that could hurt us alot.

BUT, our D has been one of the consitently best overall, so hopefully these issues can be resolved.

Rodgers, I've said for a long time needs to be replaced and is very overrated.

Greenwood is young and trying to learn when to go for it, and when to stay back and make a sure tackle.

Rodgers main knock out of college(other than age) was that he is not instinctual for a LB....he is proving them to be very right.

Originally posted by Phinstd
Rodgers, I've said for a long time needs to be replaced and is very overrated.

Greenwood is young and trying to learn when to go for it, and when to stay back and make a sure tackle.

Rodgers main knock out of college(other than age) was that he is not instinctual for a LB....he is proving them to be very right.

He was more of a pass rushing LB than anything else. He has done a fairly decent job of that in the past with Miami.

I agree Rodgers had a BAD game...

... he was torched for a TD pass (he fell down on that TD and couldn't recover fast enough) and made a bad read on a run play. He went to occupy a OL rather than making a simple tackle on the Lions HB yesterday.

Beyond that he played as he was suppose to yesterday. The Dolphins don't ask their OLB's to make big plays they ask them to mainly supply contain so the middle guys can sweep it up.

I saw Greenwoood covering the FLANKER WR on 2 plays yesterday. I am shocked they allowed him to cover a FLANKER WR.

Oliver...

Originally posted by scotgif
I agree, as well, about the LB play. I went round and round wiith Oliver a few days ago, so I won't re-hash that. But I do feel that we need to see improved play, especially from Rogers this year. I feel that Greenwood should develop nicely this year.

RODGERS HIGHLY OVERRATED!!

RODGER'S last 10 games have been bad!! He's fallen off the screen for a while now and he has NO signs of picking it up!! The only thing he picks up is a bar chair at a club where his girlfriend is at!! He is seriously the weak link in this defense!! The OLB position should make plays and he is consistently doing it 10 yards down field! Plus if he can't cover LAMONT WARREN, what makes you think he will cover EDGE,HENRY, REDMOND, ANDERSON or any good receiving back out of the backfield?? I just don't see it!!

He is also old and will definitely need to be replaced in the offseason.

Galyon is not gonna repalce him, but I'd like it if he did. He outperformed him when he played last year.

It is the JJ mentality. Anyone can play linebacker. He got lucky when he drafted Zach, but all the others...especially our backups are just special teamers at best. If Zach goes down, there is a HUUUGE dropoff, with no young talent behind in any position.

The best illustration of the JJ linebacker philosophy is that Rodgers is the starter year after year with no competition, and drafting Morlon to start....him missing all preseason with a foot injury, and not even being worried about it.

Rogers is a natural for a 3-4 alignment. Can stand up on the outside and rush the passer. In our system, he makes 2 to 3 bad reads a game and they can hurt you.

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of a system that has the linebackers in so much coverage. Even Zach can't stay with a wide receiver for so long. It's asking too much especially with the absence of a real pass rush. Blitz more or bring the safeties up some to help with the coverage or teams will exploit Rogers and Greenwood all year on these crossing patterns.

to play devil's advocate, there was never any reason to take chances on D this game since we were up 21-0 pretty fast. The OLBs had every right to play a containtment/pass coverage role and make the pathetic Lions eat clock to score their. I would save my anger for next week if warranted then.

Originally posted by dolphan39
to play devil's advocate, there was never any reason to take chances on D this game since we were up 21-0 pretty fast. The OLBs had every right to play a containtment/pass coverage role and make the pathetic Lions eat clock to score their. I would save my anger for next week if warranted then.

Good point. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom