Where does Braylon rank compared to last year's WR? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where does Braylon rank compared to last year's WR?

djfresh47

R.I.P. djfresh47
Reaction score
Where would most fans rank Edwards if he would've came out last year? I say this because among the many comments made by fans of how Smith/Rodgers wouldn't of been 1st rd picks last year. I had Mike Williams ranked as the top WR last year before the he was declared ineligible for the draft, but he would've still been taken ahead of Edwards. If Edwards would've declared last year I think he's a late 1st rd pick, behind Fitzgerald, Ro.Williams, Re. Williams, Clayton, Evans, and possibly Woods. If Benson/Williams/Brown would have declared I think they're in the same position as I would put Edwards but possibly 2nd rd picks. My point is that while if Rodgers/Smith would have entered last year's draft they would of been taken significantly lower than they would've been taken in this years, but so would most of the other top prospects.

my opinion

Larry Fitzgerald
Roy Williams
Braylon Edwards
Reggie Williams
Mike Williams
Lee Evans
Mike Clayton
Rashaun Woods

Braylon had some question marks last year concerning consistency. He answered all the questions this year. So the key issue is are you asking where he would have gone had he come out last year or are you asking where would the Braylon of TODAY rank compared to last years receivers when they came out?

I still would have ranked Braylon very high last year. He still had an awful lot of raw talent that would have made him a more intriguing selection than a Reggie Williams or a Michael Clayton. I also would have ranked him third behind Fitz and Roy Williams.

Buddwalk said:
my opinion

Larry Fitzgerald
Roy Williams
Braylon Edwards
Reggie Williams
Mike Williams
Lee Evans
Mike Clayton
Rashaun Woods

Would this be based on what he did during the 2003 season?

think the ? is pretty simple.....Braylon today vs. the other receivers when they came out. i.e....if in same draft class (forget the year difference) who would be ranked higher then who.

4U2NV said:
I still would have ranked Braylon very high last year. He still had an awful lot of raw talent that would have made him a more intriguing selection than a Reggie Williams or a Michael Clayton. I also would have ranked him third behind Fitz and Roy Williams.

I would have him ranked based on 2003, behind Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Michael Clayton, Lee Evans, and even Rashaun Woods who had a year with Ok. State. If Mike Williams would've been declared eligible, which IMO he should have I would've ranked him #1 and than push everyone back one spot.

According to SI draft grades.

Larry Fitzgerald 5.10
Braylon Edwards 4.64
Roy Williams 4.48
Reggie Williams 4.46
Michael Clayton 4.22

The way the system works is 5-6 = franchise player perennial pro bowler. future hall of famer. These are very rare. This year there is no one with this high of a grade in fact Edwards has the highest grade this year. Last year, Manning, Taylor, Fitzgerald, Gallery, and Winslow had that grade. Big Ben was close with a 4.99.

4-5 = Pro Bowl appearances. Great starter for franchise for years to come.

jbond said:
think the ? is pretty simple.....Braylon today vs. the other receivers when they came out. i.e....if in same draft class (forget the year difference) who would be ranked higher then who.

I would rank Roy Williams 1st, Mike Williams 2nd, Fitz 3rd, 4th is a toss up between Evans, Clayton, and Edwards.

personally I think he would have fallen AFTER Rashuan. Edwards was not known as a great receiver until this year. 2 years ago he still had all that talent but dropped even MORE passes than last season. He was nowhere near ready. There was also a question of if he really cared about much of anything at all but that was only one article two and a half years ago. Hindsight what it is...of course now you drop Reggie Williams and Rashaun (who I really liked last year) into the 2nd round and I'd put Edwards behind Fitz, Roy, Clayton and a slot above Evans. IMO

oh, with mike williams...he'd likely have been the 2nd WR taken..only because Arizona (green specifically) sold on Fitzgerald.

so....you see the improvement year after year (less and less dropped passes), his total production of 1,000+ yards each season.........and him coming back for his Senior season when he didn't have to shows that he did care. So what he played like and his 'caring' from 2 1/2 years ago doesn't play much into the hear and now.

My board would have him just ahead of Roy Williams at the top with Larry F. at a close third. But my board projected Julius Jones to be the best RB so what do I know :).

jbond said:
so....you see the improvement year after year (less and less dropped passes), his total production of 1,000+ yards each season.........and him coming back for his Senior season when he didn't have to shows that he did care. So what he played like and his 'caring' from 2 1/2 years ago doesn't play much into the hear and now.

yes....but I still don't like the guy. He may turn out great. I hope for his and whatever team takes him....that he does....especially if we end up drafting him. I simply like M. Williams better. For that matter I like Clayton ahead of him also. I am likely the only person in America who does but I rank the top 4 WR as..........Williams, Clayton, Edwards, and Williamson. I've watched tapes of Clayton over and over....my uncle tapes OU games....and the guy definetly runs the best routes of ANY WR in this draft. Just so you know, I'm a big Michigan fan so this isn't coming from a Buckeye lover.:) I've followed Michigan since the Schemblechler days. These of course are just my opinions...which really aren't worth much:( :)

nah...to hard on yourself. everyone has the right to their opinion...and in regards to the draft only 5-10 years will tell who was 'right'. Some people think Williamson will be the best out of this draft in 5 years btw. I think Williams may be a better WR prospect now but his struggles holding his weight down which isn't going to get easier as his metabolism slows as he gets older makes me think he'll be a TE in a year or two. We already have McMichael for that and I think Braylon's the better of the two long-term (faster as well, we need to stretch the field and he's still huge compared to DBs). Williams, while great, really only had 1 solid outstanding year whereas Braylon had 4 1,000+ yard seasons and (unlike Williams after only his sophmore year) came back his Senior year....to me that says alot about his committment to his team which I like vs. the 'me' mentality just b/c someone had 1 good year.

good point but I don't think Mike Williams has that Keyshon Johson/Terrell Owens attitude. He could have made a HUGE stink out of getting stiffed in last years draft...but he didn't. You know, for a guy who followed what a judge said, he did the right thing. Many "draft experts" had him ranked at not only the #1 WR but also the #1 overall player...anyone would have gone early. But then the NFL appeals and wins...AFTER he hires an agent. Fair, no, his fault, yes. Then he fires the agent, repays ALL the money he'd received, and took summer school to stay eligible becaue that's what the NCAA said he had to do to be reinstated, and then the NCAA tells him and USC, 2 days before their 1st games, that "no, sorry, you can't come back". I thinnk that says a lot for the guy.....heck, he could have tried to sue the NCAA and/or the NFL (as clarrett kept trying to do to the NFL) yet he didn't. He simply said "It's frustrating but I'm the one who did it, now I just have to deal with the consiquences (sp?)."

Back
Top Bottom