Where does Hopkins go? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where does Hopkins go?

If he comes to the AFC East, he's going to lose twice a year to us. If he comes to the AFC he's not going to get past us in the playoffs so I honestly don't care where he goes...

Don’t let the KC cap fool you brother. If Pat wants him they can make room.

Realistically, every team can sign any player they want. KC is no different. To state the obvious, if a team has more than enough cap, they can sign anyone and keep going. If a team (e.g., KC) has little cap, they can still sign anyone, but the next step is how will it affect the team's roster and then it becomes weighing plusses and minuses. yeah, KC or Buf can sign him, but they already need to cut/restructure players to make room for emergencies.

Realistically, every team can sign any player they want. KC is no different. To state the obvious, if a team has more than enough cap, they can sign anyone and keep going. If a team (e.g., KC) has little cap, they can still sign anyone, but the next step is how will it affect the team's roster and then it becomes weighing plusses and minuses. yeah, KC or Buf can sign him, but they already need to cut/restructure players to make room for emergencies.
Probably going to be redoing Pat's contract eventually.

Dolphins have benefitted from other teams’ salary cap issues by grabbing players like Bradley Chubb, Terror Armstead, Jalen Ramsay, Tyreek Hill, and David Long.

And if the price is right, Dalvin Cook could be Grier’s next salary cap scoop-n-score.

Last edited:
Salary cap is a myth.
It can be juggled. However, ultimately the credit card debt has to be paid. Teams that do too much juggling increase their risk, especially in terms of guaranteed large amounts and large signing bonuses. Kansas City Chiefs Owner, Clark Hunt, is a sensible and seemingly intelligent owner not prone to mortgaging the future. He knows that he already has a good team.
It should be noted that the Arizona Cardinals are taking a dead cap hit this year of $22.6M associated with their decision to let D-Hop go now. It should also be noted that the 2 teams that Hopkins has played for (Texans and Cardinals) both were eager to get rid of him.

Last edited:
It can be juggled. However, ultimately the credit card debt has to be paid. Teams that do too much juggling increase their risk, especially in terms of guaranteed large amounts and large signing bonuses. Kansas City Chiefs Owner, Clark Hunt, is a sensible and seemingly intelligent owner not prone to mortgaging the future. He knows that he already has a good team.
It should be noted that the Arizona Cardinals are taking a dead cap hit this year of $22.6M associated with their decision to let D-Hop go now. It should also be noted that the 2 teams that Hopkins has played for (Texans and Cardinals) both were eager to get rid of him.

XACTLY! It isn't possible to claim cap is a myth and watch teams release/trade players because of their salaries. If, in fact, cap were a myth, some team would stack the roster with every All-Pro player available and win the SB every yr

While I agree that eventually the ,”credit card has to be paid”. I have no doubt the Rams are happy to have to rebuild for a few years after loading up on the cap to win it all in the 2021 Super Bowl.

The Bucs also were a team that spent huge money to win a Super Bowl and now are trying to rebuild again.

There are only so many years a team can keep their core talent together and legitimately contend for the Super Bowl. Miami has a 2, maybe 3 year window to contend with their present talent. So if they win a Super Bowl in one of the next 3 years, I don’t think many Dolphin fans will be complaining when the credit card does come due.

While I agree that eventually the ,”credit card has to be paid”. I have no doubt the Rams are happy to have to rebuild for a few years after loading up on the cap to win it all in the 2021 Super Bowl.

The Bucs also were a team that spent huge money to win a Super Bowl and now are trying to rebuild again.

There are only so many years a team can keep their core talent together and legitimately contend for the Super Bowl. Miami has a 2, maybe 3 year window to contend with their present talent. So if they win a Super Bowl in one of the next 3 years, I don’t think many Dolphin fans will be complaining when the credit card does come due.

OTOH, NE seemed to not have that problem for well over a decade. KC has been in SB contention almost 10 yrs. There have been a number of other 'dynasties' that were successful enough over time to be called 'dynasties.' Granted, it takes talent in every part of the team and a little luck, but they were successful outside the 'window'

Back
Top Bottom