Where does Robert Hunt land in PFF's 2023 guard rankings? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where does Robert Hunt land in PFF's 2023 guard rankings?

None of these guys we picked up fill me with any confidence.
We miss mostly on our line with our draft picks sadly.
When Eichenberg and A.J once again prove they aren't quality starters we will once again be scrambling to save our season.

The 2024 OL situation is nauseating to think about. It may be 11 months away but I'd put a decent amount of money right now betting our first round pick is an OL in 2024. Wouldn't shock me if we went OT and OG with our first two picks next year but you gotta work in a DL somewhere.
Since we are speculating the future... maybe a few stud FA's will want to help fill the vacancies. After the Fins win the AFC East and probably the SB, there may be a few who want to jump on the wagon. ;)

None of these guys we picked up fill me with any confidence.
We miss mostly on our line with our draft picks sadly.
When Eichenberg and A.J once again prove they aren't quality starters we will once again be scrambling to save our season.
So you weren't wanting "competition". You wanted high $ FA replacements

That's fine too. Many felt that way, but they are two different things

I wanted them to draft someone with either of our top 2 picks.
Tua is the priority and keeping him upright is paramount but I have very little faith in our line due in part to Armstead and his health.

LTJacksonJacksonArmsteadArmsteadArmstead
LGFlowersKindleyEichenbergWynn?TBD
CKarrasDieterWilliamsWilliamsTBD
RGCalhounHuntHuntHuntTBD
RTHuntDavisJacksonJacksonTBD

OL Coordinators:
2020: Steve Marshall
2021: Lemuel Jeanpierre
2022: Matt Applebaum
2023: Butch Barry

The Bad: The LG and RT spots have been a flustercuck for some time now; C and RG have no long-term prospects under contract past this year; and LT has yet to play a full season in decade worth of time. There have been 4 OL Coordinators in the last four years.

The Good: That said, if the LG and RT can develop, and C and RG resign, this line is more than capable of being top 10-14 in the league. The 2024 Draft is deep in OT prospects. McDaniel and Smith have strong OL backgrounds to help assist as Barry starts new role.

Last edited:
Well, there are some clowns that think Hunt is total crap, among the worst guards in the league, going so far as to say he shouldn't even be retained.

Those thinking he is not good should be spending time reading and learning, NOT posting.
I'm not a big fan, but I did think that he was the ONLY o-lineman from 2021 who deserved to keep his job for 2022. He's not terrible, but I would never call him elite. That said, he was also the most penalized member of the team in 2022. Ideally, IMO, he should be a back-up, which would mean that the entire line was above average. However, Hunt's job is safe because Grier can't build an above average o-line, so finding a competent LG, RT, and replacement for the injury prone Armstead at LT are more pressing needs than relacing Hunt right now.

Gun to my head I would say right now that he isn't retained. Similar to Laken Tomlinson's departure from San Fran, the OG's are the first guys to go once you start paying premium positions. Not entirely sure what the compensatory value was just for him as they received a lot of picks and there isn't a clear break down that I can find. We should get at least a 4th rounder though, especially with a few other guys who won't be back.

I think it'll come down to a Williams or Hunt decision and they'll go with the one who's likely to be cheaper in Connor Williams, especially if he has a clean year snapping.

I am not losing Christian Wilkins and Zach Seiler to sign both Hunt and Williams. We are already replacing Emmanuel Ogbah and Raekwon Davis on the DL next year and adding Wilkins to that will be a scary proposition.

The order I'd sign them based on what they are will likely to get paid: 1. Wilkins, 2. Williams, 3. Seiler, 4. Hunt.

The 2024 OL situation is nauseating to think about. It may be 11 months away but I'd put a decent amount of money right now betting our first round pick is an OL in 2024. Wouldn't shock me if we went OT and OG with our first two picks next year but you gotta work in a DL somewhere.
Considering what theyā€™re gonna get paid, you can get Williams and Sieler and then some for Wilkins contract.

And considering how bad we have been at identifying and retaining OL talent for 2 decades, keeping both OL guys would be my priority. Grier has to bet he can land another DT but he already knows he is poor at finding OL.

You are right Hunt is a tough spot for us with all the premium guys we have and coming up, and I agree there is a good chance he isnā€™t retainedā€¦ but I donā€™t necessarily think itā€™s the right thing to do.

LTJacksonJacksonArmsteadArmsteadArmstead
LGFlowersKindleyEichenbergWynn?TBD
CKarrasDieterWilliamsWilliamsTBD
RGCalhounHuntHuntHuntTBD
RTHuntDavisJacksonJacksonTBD

OL Coordinators:
2020: Steve Marshall
2021: Lemuel Jeanpierre
2022: Matt Applebaum
2023: Butch Barry

The Bad: The LG and RT spots have been a flustercuck for some time now; C and RG have no long-term prospects under contract past this year; and LT has yet to play a full season in decade worth of time. There have been 4 OL Coordinators in the last four years.

The Good: That said, if the LG and RT can develop, and C and RG resign, this line is more than capable of being top 10-14 in the league. The 2024 Draft is deep in OT prospects. McDaniel and Smith have strong OL backgrounds to help assist as Barry starts new role.

It is clear to me that there is a trend towards greater stability on the OL while we still continue to make improvements.

That is a tough balancing act, but we seem to be succeeding.

He is a slightly above average guard, which to some on here means he should be a pro bowler and be paid as such. He is just like any other player who is above average and should be paid as such or let go period.

I'm not a big fan, but I did think that he was the ONLY o-lineman from 2021 who deserved to keep his job for 2022. He's not terrible, but I would never call him elite. That said, he was also the most penalized member of the team in 2022. Ideally, IMO, he should be a back-up, which would mean that the entire line was above average. However, Hunt's job is safe because Grier can't build an above average o-line, so finding a competent LG, RT, and replacement for the injury prone Armstead at LT are more pressing needs than relacing Hunt right now.
So, you think the #12 rated OG in the NFL should be a back up. That brings fantasy to a never before seen level. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom