Where does Saban stand on players who are Combine wonders? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where does Saban stand on players who are Combine wonders?

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
We see it every year. Some player that was looking like he might be a 2nd or third round guy that blows everyone away at the combine.

Does Saban put much stock in this?

I'd be careful where you go with this argument. Shawne Merriman and Ronnie Brown happen to be two of those guys who "blew everyone away" at the combine.

When a guy has numbers that scream at you, you do have to pay attention. It puts a LOT of perspective on what they show at the tape because it takes a lot of the mystery out of it. Where usually you wonder, yeah ok he just dominated that guy but can he do it at the next level? Instead, you'll be saying, yes with his physical abilities he just dominated that guy and he would have dominated that guy had he been a professional too, and the only issue is stringing it together and playing like this from a mental aspect 100% of the time.

It's hard to paint a mural on the wall of an outhouse.

Instincts, smarts and production combined with the necessary style and physical size/skills that project to the next level. Saban gets it. I don't think we have to worry about any early round reaches in workout warrior regard.

BALLS DEEP said:
We see it every year. Some player that was looking like he might be a 2nd or third round guy that blows everyone away at the combine.

Does Saban put much stock in this?
Here's where I think Nick stands....he'll take the players that he thinks will help us win and that's it.Nick's not into the habit of telling people what he's thinking......Vito Corleone would have been very proud of Saban....."Santino,never tell anyone outside the family what you're thinking again"........Saban saw the movie and gets it....I know we all want to know what Saban is thinking but he's not telling anyone so we'll have to wait and see who he takes.....in the meantime, we can keep on talking about players and making mocks cos they're fun.

Ozzy rules!!
:guitar: :rockon:

Caps said:
Ronnie Brown.

I'm sure Saban drafter Ronnie more from what he saw of him in the SEC rather than the combine. The combine just reaffirmed what he saw on the field. There was a quote that Saban said about Brown, something like "When we played him, he put half our team in the traininers room".

NJPHIN34 said:
I'm sure Saban drafter Ronnie more from what he saw of him in the SEC rather than the combine. The combine just reaffirmed what he saw on the field. There was a quote that Saban said about Brown, something like "When we played him, he put half our team in the traininers room".

Maybe, but the fact of the matter is that Ronnie Brown was widely considered to be the 3rd best back in the draft before he put up a 4.4 40 in the combine. He was projected as a mid 1st rounder if I remember correctly. If Saban wanted him the most, maybe he would have been able to trade down and get him, but because he was a combine wonder, we spent the 2nd pick on him, which turned out to be a good decision. But there's no way Saban would have taken him with the second pick in the draft if he hadn't lit it up in the combine, you can't spend the 2nd pick in the draft on someone who(before the combine) was the 3rd best at his position.

Based on this, we know that the combine affects Saban's draft strategy to some extent. We know that's not all he looks at when drafting a player, but he does take it into account to some extent.

I hope that we get rid of that jerk Nick Saban... he couldn't even get us 10 wins. If you only got 9 out of 16 on a test, you would fail. He's a failure in my book.

PublixSubsRule said:
I hope that we get rid of that jerk Nick Saban... he couldn't even get us 10 wins. If you only got 9 out of 16 on a test, you would fail. He's a failure in my book.

Yeah, how does that guy still have a job? Huizenga will probably hang on to him too long like he did with Wanny. :tongue:

Nick ABSOLUTELY puts a ton of emphasis on measurables. In fact he is probably in the top 3rd of the league in coaches that put emphasis on measurables. Alot of his late round picks are guys that have the physical measurables but lacked production for some reason. He feels that he can teach technique but not physical skills.

Mueller has said numerous times that with Saban we won't be picking small CB's and Saban likes big guys that measure well. Saban talked about how the most successful LT's have long arms so if you see a short arm LT, he won't take him.

He loves speed, power, size, athleticism, and intellegence. I know we took Roth last year but I think he was the exception and even Roth I'm not sure how Saban ultimately planned to use him so he may actually be big for the role.

Having said that, this year was probably the exception instead of the rule in terms of the workout warriors performing. The guys that moved up, Ronnie Brown, Demarcus Ware, Merrimen, Matt Jones have absolutely blown up. Most years these guys haven't performed as well so maybe the perception will be a bit skewed this year.

PublixSubsRule said:

publix subs rule? Saban sucks. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom