Where Does Suh Rank Among Miami's All-time Dt's? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where Does Suh Rank Among Miami's All-time Dt's?

Where Does Suh Rank Among Miami's DT's?

• First Overall

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Second Overall

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Third Overall

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Fourth or lower

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Take away the contract and just focus on the player and what he did on the field. Where would Suh rank among the all-time defensive tackles in Miami Dolphins history?

Here are a few to consider:

Baumhower --- consistently good, could rush the passer, big factor in Miami's Killer B defense.
Bowens --- Loved Tim Bowens. I thought he was an underrated player in that mid to late 90's defense.
Suh --- Demanded double-teams and still produced.
Fernandez -- His super bowl performance (VII) against the Redskins was one for the ages with 17 tackles in that contest.

Others???

Thats question goes back a long ways. I voted 2nd one because not sure and 2nd his shorter tenure as a phin. He may be number 1. I was a fan of Bowens. Schemes change and players are asked for different things. We certainly are going to learn quickly how great or good he was this year now that he is gone.

I didn't think Suh was close to being worth his contract. His time here was very disappointing to me because he didn't anchor a great run defense like he was brought in to do. I can't really say if it was Suh's fault or the fault of other players on the defense but the job didn't get done. I'll miss Suh if we are even worse than we were last season but with the addition of McMillan, Baker and Minkah I don't see that as a possibility.

Regarding best DT in Dolphin's history-Suh was probably the best DT but his time here was not that notable. I was a big fan of Timbo, seriously tough guy.

Suh was certainly the most talented and had the best career overall. I would probably put him 4th based on his dolphin tenure being relatively short and he didn’t anchor great defenses like Bowen’s, Fernandez and Baumhower.

1. Baumhower - how many pro bowls did he go to?

2. Fernandez - could have been the MVP of the Skins SB.

3. Bowens - game against Jets in ‘95 where he bowled over the center into the QB, forcing fumbles on 3 consecutive plays was out of this universe.

4. Suh - most talented but not as big an impact as the guys above.

Fernandez was the best of course and he's in the HOF
BB was a great player for us tho he played NG instead of DT for us
Bowens did his job all the time
Suh is very talented of course but free lance a lot on his own. Of the 4, Suh played the least disciplined football. Never really lived up to that contract but then again, who can?

Anywhere, I ranked him 4th based on lack of tenure, lack of discipline and our defense was never good with him in it(I'm not blaming him for the players around him)

Suh and Bowens are probably objectively the best as far as physical performance, taking into account how good the athletes are in their eras.

Bowens was a beast, didn't talk much and just let his play do all the talking for him. Suh was a dominant figure that required double teams on just about every play, but as far as going down as one of the Phins all time DTs, he didn't play long enough.

I can’t vote. Everything about Suh in Miami was an epic failure. He wasn’t bad on the field but he ruined our cap. This is the biggest dead cap hit in the history of the NFL. Our defense got worse every year. I thank him for getting us the victory against San Fran, as it was my first home game I went to since our last playoff win vs Indy, but far two few impact plays for the money.

I’d put both Gardener and Starks ahead of Suh given impact and longevity.

I doubt if you took any other defensive tackle in MIami history and placed them on the 2015,2016 or 2017 Dolphins rosters that they would have done any better than Suh.

Interesting question. I think that Suh is a better player than Tim Bowens, but I think the question heavily implies that you're looking at the player's entire body of work as a Dolphin. In that case, I think you'd have to rank Suh beneath Bowens.

What was it that Zach Thomas always said any time he was recognized for his excellence on the field? "Gotta remember to credit Timbo?"

Tim Bowens was one of the most underrated players in Miami Dolphins history. All he did, was his job. He stacked the LOS with consistency. And will forever be one of my favorite players to ever wear a Dolphins uniform. I was too young to remember most of Fernandez’s years and Baumhower was incredible in his own right. For me, Suh was the most intense and athletic of any player to play DT for Miami. He did his job extremely well, but for whatever reason, was unable to lift the teams run defense to another level; like the others mentioned. I will always be perplex as to how that couldn't happen, when others like Bowens were able to do so, with lesser overall talent? Bowen's and Chester formed one hell of a duo. I'll never forget the year Miami signed Chester, I was listening to the sports radio station and F/A had just begun. And within a few minutes they were reporting, Miami signed him. I was like, Oh okay!!! I remembered him from Carolina and began to wonder if he was any good. Chester IMO was one of the more successful F/A signings Miami ever had. Very underrated just like his running mate. One thing I’d like to mention is, both Fernandez and Baumhower played before Directv and the Sunday ticket, therefore, I lost out on seeing them play every week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom