Which Impending Free Agent Should the Dolphins Sign to an Extension? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Impending Free Agent Should the Dolphins Sign to an Extension?

I think you have to consider age and relative value of a position when offering a long term contract. It is easy to forget Wilkins turned 24 in December of his rookie season. He will turn 28 this December and he will turn 29 the first year of his contract extension. When people say he won’t live up to his contract, they aren’t doubting him as a player. It just comes down to how many years you want to pay an IDL over 30 years old $20M+ per season. These DTs getting massive extensions are all 1-2 years younger than Wilkins or elite pash rushers like Chris Jones.
I think you need to value leadership, retaining your own, and legendary performance.

The Rams really overvalued The DT position I suppose...

I think you need to value leadership, retaining your own, and legendary performance.

The Rams really overvalued The DT position I suppose...
No disrespect, but you can’t compare Aaron Donald to Christian Wilkins. Dude is a 3 time defensive player of the year and 7 time 1st team all-pro. Donald has 103 career sacks and 6 seasons with 11+ sacks whereas Wilkins has 11.5 sacks in 4 years. Donald is an unanimous 1st ballot hall of famer when his time comes.

I want Miami to resign Wilkins, but there is a zero percent chance he takes his game to Donald’s level. I’d also point out Donald dealt with injuries last year and showed some signs of aging playing at 32. The window for these guys starts to close once they hit their early 30s.

No disrespect, but you can’t compare Aaron Donald to Christian Wilkins. Dude is a 3 time defensive player of the year and 7 time 1st team all-pro. Donald has 103 career sacks and 6 seasons with 11+ sacks whereas Wilkins has 11.5 sacks in 4 years. Donald is an unanimous 1st ballot hall of famer when his time comes.

I want Miami to resign Wilkins, but there is a zero percent chance he takes his game to Donald’s level. I’d also point out Donald dealt with injuries last year and showed some signs of aging playing at 32. The window for these guys starts to close once they hit their early 30s.
Wilkins just had more tackles than any other DT in the NFL in 25+ years.

They are different players.

But that position is tremendously valuable which defeats the entire foundation of your take.

Argue semantics all you want, but your football IQ is low if you think it wise to let a prime Chistian Wilkins walk after that performance last season.

Wilkins just had more tackles than any other DT in the NFL in 25+ years.

They are different players.

But that position is tremendously valuable which defeats the entire foundation of your take.

Argue semantics all you want, but your football IQ is low if you think it wise to let a prime Chistian Wilkins walk after that performance last season.
We would gain cap space by working out a deal; there has been literally nothing stopping us from getting it done for months. At this point it should be clear that we haven’t made him the offer he is looking for.

Why? Who knows. It’s fair to speculate that the team doesn’t want to pay him $20M per season for any combination of the reasons I have already stated.

Regardless, my football IQ has nothing to do with forming an opinion based on available information. Any fan that hasn’t lived under a rock the last few years knows he is a great player. Doesn’t mean the team will extend him when they could pay Seiler and Williams with said money and have some leftover.

We would gain cap space by working out a deal; there has been literally nothing stopping us from getting it done for months. At this point it should be clear that we haven’t made him the offer he is looking for.

Why? Who knows. It’s fair to speculate that the team doesn’t want to pay him $20M per season for any combination of the reasons I have already stated.

Regardless, my football IQ has nothing to do with forming an opinion based on available information. Any fan that hasn’t lived under a rock the last few years knows he is a great player. Doesn’t mean the team will extend him when they could pay Seiler and Williams with said money and have some leftover.
But they were comfortable paying Ogbah how much per year on average?

Your argument and rationale are flawed from every perspective...

But they were comfortable paying Ogbah how much per year on average?

Your argument and rationale are flawed from every perspective...
Apples and oranges. Ogbah's guaranteed $ is only 32m. Wilkins is going to get a lot more than that somewhere. Don't get me wrong. I would like to resign him, but the contracts are not comparable.

Find a way to keep Wilkins, Sieler, Williams, and Hunt. Might have to move on from Baker and Ogbah.

Davis and Jackson are wild cards. Make or break year for them both or they’ll be candidates to stick on short term deals at most.

What if Howard regains trade value and Cam Smith looks like he’s ready to be a plus starter going into 2024?

Although we have our 1 & 2 next year we do have a shortage of picks again. Wouldn’t mind moving some vets if we can get something to open up cap space to take care of our priority guys.

Apples and oranges. Ogbah's guaranteed $ is only 32m. Wilkins is going to get a lot more than that somewhere. Don't get me wrong. I would like to resign him, but the contracts are not comparable.

But see that's not the argument OP was making. He kept saying "20M per" when Ogbah is AAV just under $17M, which was a dreadful contract for a schemed open 9 sacks / stout against the run edge.

So exactly, Apples to Oranges, Wilkins is top 3 at his position, tremendously active and disruptive, had the stats and his home grown talent. But his most intangible attribute is leadership.

Will his guaranteed be much higher? Of course, anyone with any grasp on the NFL understands guaranteed is all that matters.

So either you failed to read the back and forth or have a prejudice against resigning Wilkins even though your stating otherwise.

Both are your prerogative.

But see that's not the argument OP was making. He kept saying "20M per" when Ogbah is AAV just under $17M, which was a dreadful contract for a schemed open 9 sacks / stout against the run edge.

So exactly, Apples to Oranges, Wilkins is top 3 at his position, tremendously active and disruptive, had the stats and his home grown talent. But his most intangible attribute is leadership.

Will his guaranteed be much higher? Of course, anyone with any grasp on the NFL understands guaranteed is all that matters.

So either you failed to read the back and forth or have a prejudice against resigning Wilkins even though your stating otherwise.

So your argument is that we will pay Wilkins because we gave Ogbah a terrible contract that has not aged well. Ok. That checks out.

I will continue to point out that every piece of available information we have indicates that the team has not made Wilkins an offer he would accept. Why? It would be a huge win for the team to have him locked up before it becomes a media distraction during camp. We have had the money to pay him for months. What’s holding it up?

My stance on CW, specifically, is no different than 90% of all players. It isn't a matter of yes or no. It's a matter of at what cost.

The only thing I'm prejudiced against is using what I consider to be irrelevant, unrelated situations to support a debate view.

Wilkins is a core foundational piece of the defense. Extend Wilkins, Hunt and Seiler. Don't chase anymore free agent RBs or WRs until those 3 warriors are signed!

Back
Top Bottom