Which Nfl Players Could Realistically (and Not So Realistically) Still Be Traded This Summer? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Nfl Players Could Realistically (and Not So Realistically) Still Be Traded This Summer?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
kenyan-drake-dolphins-miracle.jpg

I know he has been injured, but I would be seriously disappointed if we traded him.:mad: Just like Jarvis, you find a way to keep good players and only if you can't - do you let them go. Now I don't foresee this and I think the current regime is better than the last.

The Realistic Targets
Kenyan Drake, RB, Dolphins
Miami has been in full tear-down mode this offseason. The team has already parted with expensive veterans Ja’Wuan James (who signed a four-year, $51 million deal with Denver in free agency) and Robert Quinn (who was traded to Dallas), and at this point, few players on the roster seem untouchable. As the Dolphins look to stockpile assets during their rebuild, Drake—who’s set to make a $2 million base salary in the final year of his rookie deal—could be an interesting trade piece for an offense looking to add more pop to its backfield.

Drake was solid last season, averaging 4.5 yards per carry on 120 carries, and that came after he looked like a budding superstar at the tail end of 2017. That year, Drake ranked third in Pro Football Focus’s elusiveness rating, a metric that combines broken tackles and yards after contact. His production always warranted more touches, but former Miami coach Adam Gase seemed reluctant to lean on the 211-pound back as the team’s primary rusher. The new regime, led by first-year coach Brian Flores, could decide to hang on to Drake so they can determine if he’ll be a part of the team’s future. But dealing him would give Miami some immediate draft capital for a player who may be on the move next spring anyway.

Possible landing spot: Texans. The phrase “just a guy” was invented for players like Lamar Miller. The former Dolphin—who signed a four-year, $26 million deal with Houston in 2016—has been … fine since becoming the Texans’ primary back, but Drake would provide a younger, more potent force that could take advantage of the openings created by Deshaun Watson’s mobility. Houston entered free agency loaded with cap space but was fairly cautious in how it wielded it. The Texans currently have more than $40 million in room, trailing only the Colts. Even if Houston is bullish on third-year back D’onta Foreman, who’s returning this season after missing all of 2018 as he rehabbed a torn Achilles, Drake would be a low-risk way to help the Texans running game.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/...er-trades-marcus-peters-kenyan-drake-aj-green

Drake is at the point of being a superstar, and Miami can't continue to give away quality players...if they were smart, they would extend his contract right now at a cheaper amount then it will cost if they allow him to be their premier back this year.

Anybody is tradable for the right price, but what Drake is really worth, will not go over well with other teams, so big no to trading him.

I would trade him if I could. I certainly would not want to pay him anything substantial on a second contract, so I would try to get as much as possible for him. Running backs are a dime a dozen.

I like the guy as a player but he still has a lot to prove. Hard to pay a guy 3 years into a rookie deal when his true value is still undetermined.

The team is better with him than without him, for sure.

I couldn’t envision getting a 2nd from anyone for him, doubt any teams likely to be picking in the first half of round 3 would view Drake as a final piece. So where’s his value?

Do we want to commit $30-$40 million dollar over the next 3 years and prevent significant rollover cap credit? For a RB?

IDK.

I think he could be resigned for a deal similar to Lamar Miller. But I do not believe he will be resigned by Miami. I really don’t see him being traded either. I think he will be another guy who will net a fifth round compensatory pick for 2021

Drake is a nice player to have, but he's not a guy to commit a significant amount of the salary cap to for a team at the beginning of a rebuild.

The salaries are so absurd it's hard to justify for ANY position...

I can only imagine how much a beast like Zonk would be "worth"

in today's terms! That said, Drake is a "nice" player and seemingly

a class act/quality individual. I'd like to see him stay but the monopoly

board game aspect of the N F L may not allow that...

I’d trade drake for a 3 right now. If you haven’t come around to dumping gesicki now while he may still have meaningful trade return value before the league figures it out wait til next year when they have.

Congrats to Raekwon for elevating to jury’s still out the last half the season in terms of trade now while the irons hot after a horrific first half of the season. At least that one looks like it might still be salvageable. I’m still very skeptical but the weight loss is a good start

Last edited:
Drake is a nice player to have, but he's not a guy to commit a significant amount of the salary cap to for a team at the beginning of a rebuild.
Or not at the "beginning of a rebuild", for that matter.

I like Kenyan, but I'm not under the illusion that he can't easily be replaced, and I surely don't want to overpay next year.

If you can get a #2, which I doubt, jump on it. A #3, I would consider, but it depends on how the staff feels about the other guys.

I wouldn't trade Drake, the lack of depth is not good, and he’s young enough to be a nice Piece in the unit for the future,..

Gesecki I would though...

Drake is avg players. I dont see him getting no big money on open market.

As far as Reshad Jones goes, I’ve followed his career close enough to know a few things, one, I don’t believe he is the smartest tool in the shed, two, he seems to thrive when he has someone next to him that can communicate very well..

If he steps aside and allows Minkah to call the shots and he can just run and play, it’s probably the best thing for him and us, if he lets his seniority and ego get in the way like he did last year and Minkah out of respect acquiesces to Reshad from that role, then we would probably trade him so that he doesn’t inhibit Minkahs growth.

Last edited:
As far as Reshad Jones goes, I’ve followed his career close enough to know a few things, one, I don’t believe he is the smartest tool in the shed, two, he seems to thrive when he has someone next to him that can communicate very well..

If he steps aside and allows Minkah to call the shots and he can just run and play, it’s probably the best thing for him and us, if he lets his seniority and ego get in the way like he did last year and Minkah out of respect acquiesces to Reshad from that role, then we would probably trade him so that he doesn’t inhibit Minkahs growth.
Am I the only one who had to look up what acquiesces meant? haha!

The guy has won a couple games so we should trade him, maybe for a 4th or 5th, that will be out of the NFL in 2 years....

Back
Top Bottom