Which RB is better suited for a one back system? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which RB is better suited for a one back system?

SWS84

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think this has been asked before and I apologize if it has, but will a one back system change which RB we draft, if we do?

As you may know, I prefer that we draft QB Smith, but if we do draft a RB, I had always wanted Brown. Now, thinking about it, and reading below that we are looking at a one back set most of the time, I'm not sure Brown is our best choice for RB and I'm not sure he's not. In a one back set would Cadillac be our better choice? Although Brown has the better 10 yard speed, they say Cadillac is more elusive, and has more natural vision. I don't know if that is true or not, but wouldn't that make Cadillac better suited for a one back set as he won't have the advantage of a lead blocker? That said, you could point to Brown and say that a bigger back would be better and also the one with the best hands. That would give Brown the edge. What do you all think? Would it be better to go with Brown or Cadillac in a one back set?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Steve

Well then

According to this logic, we should not take either of those backs and instead go for the sure single back in Cedric Benson.

However, I think that Ronnie Brown will be the better play make then either the two other backs. I really think that with him as our Starter, and with a non predictable wanny offense, we can really go places this year. With AJ getting some time to make some throws to McMike, Book, and Chambers, He will thrive just well.

yeah the Ricky Williams/ Benson type would probably be the best.

Actually when you don't use a fullback it is imperitive that your HB be a good blocker.
Our Rb would be on the field about 85% of our passing plays and would be our last defense in pass protection. It's also important to be able to dump the ball off to him when the QB's under pressure.

AirChambers84 said:
Actually when you don't use a fullback it is imperitive that your HB be a good blocker.
Our Rb would be on the field about 85% of our passing plays and would be our last defense in pass protection. It's also important to be able to dump the ball off to him when the QB's under pressure.

Very true....That's why the guy below is the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChambers84

csabe said:
Very true....That's why the guy below is the best choice.

Actually, no, because as the previous message said, he must be a good blocker, and be able to catch the ball in a moment of trouble, and even though Ricky has proven to be able to catch the ball, he is no where as good as Brown, and Ricky is not in the same league blocking as Brown.

Well, one-back systems are generally more pass oriented. That's not always the case. You've got to take a look at the overall picture for the back, you need pass blocking and recieving skills.

Not only that, but you need to take into consideration the return of Ricky Williams, regardless of how you feel about it.

I think the best bet, from what I've read and what I've seen is then Ronnie Brown. He has the highest bust capability, but he also has the highest upside.

He's got the recieving and passblocking skills to run in a one-back set. He can catch and pass block better then Benson or Williams. If Ricky Williams returns, Brown is still probabaly the best choice. Both he and Cadillac have shown that they can share time: Ego wise, and in the sense they need to get into the rythm of the game.

Brown also has the ability to contribute as a fullback at the same time Ricky is on the field. Brown has adequate lead blocking ability, and could also be used in a Larry Centers type role.

I also believe in Drafting Alex Smith with #2; however if I had to choose a RB for a single back set I would compare the big 3 capabilities to someone like Roger Craig and take the one most similar in capability to him.

In my opinion, that would be Ronnie Brown.

tay0365 said:
Actually, no, because as the previous message said, he must be a good blocker, and be able to catch the ball in a moment of trouble, and even though Ricky has proven to be able to catch the ball, he is no where as good as Brown, and Ricky is not in the same league blocking as Brown.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was saying that R. Brown not RWilliams would be the best fit.:D

Thanks for the thoughts, Ya'll. This is what I was looking for, some decent debate. I didn't think about the blocking aspect of a one back system that airchambers put forth. I'm not sure how much of a liability Cadillac would be considering that, but it seems Brown would be the better blocker of the two. If Ricky came back, I could see an awesome one-two punch there. Though it seems some coaches sour on splitting time between RB's, I think Saban might be savvy enough to pull it off. Especially with Ricky being upset about Wanny running him into the ground.

Steve

I'm a little confused. Are you guys saying that we will be employing a one back systwem without a lead blocker for the rb? I know Linehan doesn't employ FB's as blockers but I was still thinking that someone besides just the OL would be blocking for the back.

csabe said:
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was saying that R. Brown not RWilliams would be the best fit.:D

Oops, I did not see the vomiting part :lol: sorry about that. Then nice post, agree 100%.:D

BALLS DEEP said:
I'm a little confused. Are you guys saying that we will be employing a one back systwem without a lead blocker for the rb? I know Linehan doesn't employ FB's as blockers but I was still thinking that someone besides just the OL would be blocking for the back.

Well, we did get a FB in the offseason, so I do not know how true that may be.

BALLS DEEP said:

love the avatar man lmao:roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom