Which Rook Impressed You? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Rook Impressed You?

Minkah is a dog! We need other players on our roster to get on his level. He works really hard and it translated on the field last night!

Fitzpatrick, Baker, Ballage, and Gesicki all looked like they will be key players. To get four in one draft is a good haul.

Taylor, Allen, and Fales looked improved. Grant and Wilson have something to offer.

IMHO we don’t have many top shelf guys, Fitzpatrick, Gesicki, maybe Drake. But I do think we have good depth. For the first time I’m feeling like our 2’s and 3’s are better than a lot of other teams. Just wish our 1’s were.

I dont really care about highlight real catches to be honest. I watched every game of Goederts the last 2 years and almost every game of Mike's last year. i have been on record for well over a year that I viewed Goedert as the best and most complete tight end in the draft. Its not just the run blocking that I like, it's the toughness. and also the route running that Goedert I felt was better at. I just thought he was the better football player at the draft.

I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong, but at this point all Mike is really is a red zone threat. The concern I have is whether he will ever be more than that. Goedert has been balling since day 1, it's just something that I am going to continue to watch very closely.
You also have to factor in the competitive defensive talent that SD State faced vs The Big 10 so the comparison becomes more subjective IMO.

What impresses me the most is the fact that we can actually have a choice between players. Typically the question is "Did the rookies play?", but now we are trying to figure out which one we felt looked the best. Says something about the draft.

Yeah. Too early to call the draft a success after one preseason game, but it looks like they finally nailed it.

You also have to factor in the competitive defensive talent that SD State faced vs The Big 10 so the comparison becomes more subjective IMO.
Ya, thats just not true at all. There is a reason the Big 10 doesn't play FCS anymore, they were consistently losing. It is refreshing to see so many rookies look like they belong on the field though. It was getting quite old to keep making excuses for why our rookies never performed.

Fitzpatrick is obvious and expected. Ballage wasn't perfect but I loved him getting to the corner past the DB on the early run, then that ridiculous leap. Not worried about the fumble, i don't think he fumbled once last year in college.

Baker was everywhere. Loved it.

For his first time in a NFL game Baker impressed me too.
Also liked Owusu

Looking forward to how they develop but Baker looked for real to me with a lot of potential...

OH, Hope the coaching staff tells the DB to stay in the same area code of the WR, and that their job is not just tackling but STOPPING COMPLETIONS.............. We seem to go through this every year were DB's are 3,4,5 yds off WR.....
Also Gase, friggin lay down the law with all these unacceptable penalties its gone on to long and is not something that a decent HC can't straighten out...decent HC.....Hillard, Juwaun blew possibly 2 TD's, something we just can't afford to do....

Fitzpatrick, Baker and Ballage.

Since you said just one. I will go with Baker.

How good was Baker? The twitter reports made him sound like Luke Keuchly. But then I also read he was getting screamed at by Burke on the sidelines so who know??? I cant watch the game until Sat.

Minkah, Baker and Ballage looked good out there. Baker had some good moments. Gesicki should have gotten a TD if not for a bad pass.

Now I know he's not a rookie now but I was a little disappointed on Harris. I see the effort by him on every play but you need the result and just like last year he didn't get any results last night. I know it's just one game but I believe he got the most snaps on defense so he had a chance. Hoping for the best tho.

Minkah, Baker and Ballage looked good out there. Baker had some good moments. Gesicki should have gotten a TD if not for a bad pass.

Now I know he's not a rookie now but I was a little disappointed on Harris. I see the effort by him on every play but you need the result and just like last year he didn't get any results last night. I know it's just one game but I believe he got the most snaps on defense so he had a chance. Hoping for the best tho.

I'm concerned he's just not that good. Derek Barnett underwhelmed with plenty of snaps in Philly yesterday as well, me thinks the DE class last year besides Garrett is underwhelming as a whole.

I know the Dolphins aren't a star studded team, s*** our best player could easily be Minkah by the end of the year which is kinda sad (unless he becomes the best FS in the game!).

What this team does have though is excellent depth across the board. That isn't sexy, but over the course of a season it is extremely critical.

Most people think the Eagles are this great team, and they are starting Ngata and some totally unknown at LB, then have absolutely no quality depth behind them (Timmy very possibly out for the season).

We have 4 quality DT's and I like our back up LB's a lot (knew Baker would be good), even if the starters are kinda weak.

Then we have a slew of good players at DE, again, even though the starters are kinda weak.

This team clearly still needs more talent, particularly elite talent, and I feel like Raekwon is better suited at SAM then MIKE, but we don't really have a true MIKE so we need Kwon to play there right now.

But the football season is long and full of injuries, having players like Eric Smith, Lippett, and McDonald as back ups can literally be the difference between making the playoffs or not, and I expect us to make the playoffs primarily for this reason.

Fitzpatrick - smart player
Ballage - the game didn't appear to be "too big" for him
Baker - he flashed a couple times - small, but gives 110%

For his first time in a NFL game Baker impressed me too.
Also liked Owusu

I noticed him the other day at Training Camp made some catches. Good powerful build. I don't know much about him. Where did he come from? Been very little mention of him to date - he's obviously pretty raw.

Mitz might be the guy but our huge need is at linebacker so I am sticking with Baker based on our need this year and he can continue to show up. We have to protect the middle of the field and get our tight ends to dominate the middle on offense

When was the last time you could make a case for 4 rookies who impressed in the first preseason game? Usually we are trying to decide who disappointed the least.

Back
Top Bottom