Which Rook Impressed You? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Rook Impressed You?

Was impressed by a lot of them.

#1. Minkah
#2. Baker
#3. Gesicki. No catches but that was some athletic ability on display. Think if T-Hill was in the game he would of had that TD
#4. Ballage. Damn fumble ruined a good night. Worst part was he just dropped it/had poor ball security.

I know the Dolphins aren't a star studded team, s*** our best player could easily be Minkah by the end of the year which is kinda sad (unless he becomes the best FS in the game!).

Ummm Minkah was a 1st round pick (#11), how in ANY way is it sad if he is the best player on the team by the end of the year?

Ummm Minkah was a 1st round pick (#11), how in ANY way is it sad if he is the best player on the team by the end of the year?

Ummm Because if a #11 pick becomes the best player on any team after 1 season, that means the team doesn’t have a good roster perhaps? It’s not exactly the norm lol. Unless like I said, he becomes the best FS in football after 1 season, which again, is an aberration.

How good was Baker? The twitter reports made him sound like Luke Keuchly. But then I also read he was getting screamed at by Burke on the sidelines so who know??? I cant watch the game until Sat.
Same here and sometimes what I see is completely different than what others see

Ummm Because if a #11 pick becomes the best player on any team after 1 season, that means the team doesn’t have a good roster perhaps? It’s not exactly the norm lol. Unless like I said, he becomes the best FS in football after 1 season, which again, is an aberration.

That does not mean the team doesn't have a good roster. It just confirms what everyone already have been saying about Minkah. He is already arguably one of the hardest working player on the team. He is playing three positions as a rookie. Minkah is not the norm.

Ya, thats just not true at all. There is a reason the Big 10 doesn't play FCS anymore, they were consistently losing. It is refreshing to see so many rookies look like they belong on the field though. It was getting quite old to keep making excuses for why our rookies never performed.
Here's the 2017 schedule. Please itemize how many defensive LBs, Safeties and CBs from these teams make it to the NFL.. even compared only to Ohio State, if you feel like. It's not an excuse..the vast difference in the quality of defenders is a stark reality!
sd state schedule.jpg

Just as a subjective aside, in reading up on Petty, I see he is member of the "Chickasaw Nation." Has there been a Native American player on our roster since Wahoo McDaniel?
(who himself was also at least in part, a member of the Chocktaw-Chickasaw nation?)

Here's the 2017 schedule. Please itemize how many defensive LBs, Safeties and CBs from these teams make it to the NFL.. even compared only to Ohio State, if you feel like. It's not an excuse..the vast difference in the quality of defenders is a stark reality!
View attachment 13243
Dallas Goedert did look good last night

It's early, but this has the possible makings of an excellent draft class. The fact that most of our rookies look good, but the team probably won't do much shows you just how far off we actually were coming into this season. Still need a corner, LB, DTs, and possibly a qb (depending how RT does). The good news is we are very young so maybe things are finally trending in the right direction.

Dallas Goedert did look good last night
he has also looked good all offseason. I get people not seeing him play, I truly do. Just admit it than instead of throwing crap at the wall like some posters are on here. Mike simply has a ways to go to be anything but a red zone threat right now. He is a Dolphin and I will certainly wish him the best, I just think Goedert at this point in time is the better player and it is showing on the field. That could easily change if Mike progresses but we probably wont see it until year two.

View attachment 13243
just admit you have never seen Dallas Goedert play at SDSU. Trying to discredit a guy you have yet to see play is quite silly

just admit you have never seen Dallas Goedert play at SDSU. Trying to discredit a guy you have yet to see play is quite silly
Whether he can make the transition remains to be seen. I'm merely contending that you're doing Gesicki a disservice by unfavorably comparing him to Goedart based on college performance because it just was not an even defensive playing field.. that's unless you truly believe that august universities like Youngstown State, South Dakota, Mo State, New Hampshire and Northern Iowa's 's recruiters were seriously competing against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, Rutgers.. or hell, even Maryland and Indiana for top rated high school prospects. If Goedart does well, good for him, but AFAIC, he's made his "bones" against future FedEx drivers, management trainees, accountants and insurance salesmen while Gesicki mostly was successful against studs.

Whether he can make the transition remains to be seen. I'm merely contending that you're doing Gesicki a disservice by unfavorably comparing him to Goedart based on college performance because it just was not an even defensive playing field.. that's unless you truly believe that august universities like Youngstown State, South Dakota, Mo State, New Hampshire and Northern Iowa's 's recruiters were seriously competing against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, Rutgers.. or hell, even Maryland and Indiana for top rated high school prospects. If Goedart does well, good for him, but AFAIC, he's made his "bones" against future FedEx drivers, management trainees, accountants and insurance salesmen while Gesicki mostly was successful against studs.
I don't want to derail the thread but the Big 10 isn't all that impressive of a football conference outside of Ohio State. My point is that you're using that as your argument without watching him play and I understand that as who seriously watches SDSU play outside of someone living in the Dakotas. Talent transcends divisions and it is usually pretty obvious once you start watching consistently. I have hope for Mike turning into a very good player, i'm just saying that right now Goedert is the better of the two.

The morale of the 1st preseason game is that we had 4 rookies who could play a lot of minutes this year, that is exciting to me.

Gesicki showed some glimpse of what he will bring. He looked very agile and looked like he belongs. He will be a game changer. But the best of the rookies IMO was Baker. A true downhill aggressive LB that we have been missing since Zach. We need his skills and two more LBs to go with him. Kiko is a decent fill in but we really need to find someone to play the middle. Maybe when McMillan gets more time he will get all the way back from his injury, but right now he looks slow to react and has lost his explosiveness. To be honest he looks a little lost. Baker is the closest thing we have to a starting LB.

Back
Top Bottom