Which Second Tier Qb Would You Prefer To Draft To Groom?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:58 AM.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

If they don't land Mayfield in the first, which second tier QB would you prefer to draft in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Mason Rudolph
    Luke Falk
    Mike White
    Kyle Lauletta

I don't think Lamar Jackson will be available in those rounds...

Ray R likes this.
  2. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

Kyle Lauletta would be my pick.

Zildjianz and finitis23 like this.
  3. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Logan Woodside? @nick1 extols his under the radar virtues

4. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

Of the QBs listed I'll go with Mason Rudolph. I think there's a great chance he might wind up with a better pro career than a couple of the guys picked before him.

5. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Ray R likes this.
  6. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Kyle Lauletta apparently has caught Gase’s eye. He’s on the Dolphin’s radar. Round #3, if Lauletta is still on the board. The Dolphin’s like Lauletta’s leadership qualities.

Zildjianz likes this.
  7. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Being a WKU grad go with White. Not sure what his issues are but he has popped up as 3rd round material in some guides. I have been seeing posts on this forum not liking the guy maybe because Doughtery did not work out.

8. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Come to think of it, this may be Gases plan. Draft a top defensive product in the first, and find that second tier QB with talent that he can mold into his style of play.

9. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

One of the greatest injustices in the show's history. Never should have been eliminated in the semis. That's really the reason I stopped watching.

10. jcork_NJ

jcork_NJ Scout Team

From what I've read and the albeit small sample size of his play, I agree on Kyle Lauletta. He seems like he could make the jump and is a good leader too.

Zildjianz likes this.
  11. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

Lauletta without question. Pretty much a perfect fit for Gase & his offense

Zildjianz likes this.
  12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Where did you hear that? Just curious.

AZStryker likes this.
  13. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I don’t think Lauletta is second tier so he’s my choice. If I had to bet I’d say he’ll be a Patriot and drafted way earlier than expected.

14. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Lauletta is my favorite QB in this draft after Mayfield. I agree the pats like him so we might have to pull the trigger early

15. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I've been pumping Luke Falks tires since last fall. I would still love to take him in round 3 if available

16. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

17. dnr3131

dnr3131 Well-Known Member

Nic Shimonek. Sleeper QB under the radar. He is a strong possibility.

18. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Throw away picks in the third or fourth sounds solid.

19. LargoFin

LargoFin Well-Known Member

Day 1: Rudolph, Ferguson, Lauletta, Barrett
    Day 2: Woodside, Streveler, Stevens
    Day 3: Briscoe, Shimonek
    UDFA: Etling

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018 at 1:57 PM
  20. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

And can’t forget the Michigan Monster, John O’korn! I mean his last name is a rock band so you know he’s intense!

21. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

From what I’ve read, we haven’t even met with him so I’d like to know where he’s getting that too.

ckparrothead likes this.
  22. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I like Rudolph and would love to see him in Miami. White reminds me of Andy Dalton, not a top tier NFL starter, but can win some games with a supporting cast.

23. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

Kyle Lauletta and then I also like Mason Rudolph. But lauletta seems like a good fit for us. Moves well in the pocket and has amazing ball placement/accuracy. That being said, I doubt we draft him because we never seem to draft the later round guys the fans really want. I have a feeling we won't draft a QB until like the 5th round, so some one like Mike White. Hope I'm wrong though.

24. FINOMINAL

FINOMINAL Scout Team

Mike White is a former pitcher that had a 90mph fastball, local guy for us in South Florida that once took over for our favorite guy in preseason last year, Brandon Doughty. He has really improved his accuracy, as a senior was 65% on 560 throws. Kicked butt at the Senior Bowl. Check out his combine throws he showed some real zip. Dude is 6’5 too, he isn’t going to have balls batted down like Mayfield. My sleeper.

https://whodatdish.com/2018/02/12/s...eoric-rise-of-mike-white-qb-western-kentucky/

http://rotoviz.com/2018/02/nfl-draft-sleeper-mike-white/

Ray R and fininpsl like this.
  25. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

You do realize day one is only the first round don't you?

spiketex likes this.
  26. LargoFin

I think so, I think I realize that. And, I think those are the only Qbs in this draft worth drafting on day 1.
    I would not draft Lauletta because my comp for him is Blake Bortles, it's a personal bias, but I think he warrants Day 1 pick.
    My comps for other guys are, Rudolph - Payton Manning, Ferguson - Goff, Barrett - Sanchez. I think they are all well worth a first rd pick.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM
  27. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I've heard a lot of chatter about Rudolph going in round 1.

spiketex likes this.
  28. ckparrothead

I remain a big fan of Kyle Lauletta but I thanked the post on Nic Shimonek because I just like that his name was brought up.

In keeping with bringing up the names that don't often get brought up...

I had been a fan of Logan Woodside going back well over a year ago, and though I haven't talked about him much, he's certainly a guy the Dolphins could take that would have me intrigued. His feet are just so good, and it really influences his accuracy. He also has some of the best work in the draft on throws with NFL timing (2 to 3 seconds snap to throw).

Similarly I've been a fan of two "tough guys" in this draft. They are Brandon Silvers of Troy and Chris Streveler of South Dakota. You can stand these up in the most overwhelming situation imaginable, chaos everywhere, and they're going to keep executing from the first quarter to the last. You want to see toughness in a QB that should be overwhelmed? Watch Silvers play against Clemson in 2016, the year Clemson went on to win the Championship. Watch him play against LSU. This is Troy State we're talking about here.

And you can't intimidate Chris Streveler in the backfield with pressure. He's too much of a physical animal. He's got THE quickest release in the draft. That's not up for debate. He's actually pretty accurate, depending on where he's throwing to. And speaking of the toughness, refusing to be intimidated thing, he played a bunch of games in the back half with a glove on his hand because of a nasty throwing hand injury.

Injury or no, he finished the year 316 of 481 for 4,134 yards, 32 TD, 8 INT, with 168 runs for 720 yards (including sacks) and 11 TDs. He won more games than South Dakota had won in like a decade. The team hadn't won more than 6 games in ten years. But he won 8 games and won them a playoff game. He went wild in his second playoff game too, but they lost because the defense got thrashed.

And going back to him being such a physical animal, at 6'2" and 209 lbs he ran a 4.45, jumped 38.5" vertical, 10'5" broad jump, 4.20 shuttle, and 7.48 cone. The head coach of South Dakota State (not Streveler's head coach, Streveler played for South Dakota) was overheard at the pro day saying that Streveler one of the best pure football player he's ever seen.

As for his own head coach, Bob Nelson broke down in tears talking about him after the playoff loss.

Streveler has TWO Master's degrees. How is that even effing possible?

On the field, like I said before, he's got the quickest delivery in the draft, and he also runs one of those blazing speed Hurry-Up No-Huddle (HUNH) offenses. Why does that matter? Quickest feet in the draft, quickest delivery in the draft, blazing offensive pace, were all THE primary assets of Jimmy Garoppolo coming out as a prospect. Otherwise Jimmy was an FCS quarterback running the spreadiest of spread systems (like an Art Briles system on cocaine), with marginal NFL level arm strength and some bad tape when trying to handle pressure. But I'd say Jimmy G has turned out OK!

Another thing I noted in my film study of Streveler is that he really does spread the football all around that offense. He was not by any means being carried by one or two good players. Part of that is coaching and play calling, as I'm not about to accuse them of running a pro style system. But, he does regularly get through several reads from one side of the field to the other before getting the football out, so it's not entirely a play calling thing either. When I watched Streveler in 2016 I was only marginally interested in him. When I watched him in 2017, I was blown away. That intrigues me on two levels. I love a guy who you can see getting better, who you can see making forward strides.

A couple of downsides to Streveler. For one thing he got beat out in Minnesota at the QB position by Mitch Leidner. Talk about a black mark in the permanent record. Streveler took it in stride, actually moved to other positions and helped the Gophers that way. He eventually transferred to South Dakota. The second downside is that despite his ridiculous quick punch delivery, he's not very flexible in the hips, and his feet, weight transfer, balance on the throw, are just not that attractive. That's the biggest difference that has me resisting a full Jimmy Garoppolo comparison. Jimmy G had a great process all the way through and it reminded me of Trent Green coming out. Streveler has sort of an odd setup and lack of follow through. Is it Omar Jacobs? Is it Phil Rivers? It's a bit of both.

Conference MVP. Walter Payton Award finalist. Should be getting a ton more play than he is.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018 at 2:24 PM
  29. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Litton is interesting, any scoop on him as a late rounder?

30. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

Draft Goedert his TE at SD state early and Streveler in the later rounds, I’d be happy with that.

31. ckparrothead

Legitimate pro talent. Tall, great balance, good throwing motion, pure arm talent. He got into some trouble when he was young, and it seems like he's always been playing catch-up since then, trying to stay committed to the game, do all the right things, be a stable leader, etc. He comes from a good family and he's in a state of constant maturation, but he needs to do better. On the field, he gets a little too focused on easy answers, downfield passing.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he keeps evolving and becomes a stable backup, and you're always going to look at him and say wait a minute this guy has legit starting talent. But it would surprise me a bit if he finally steps up, grabs the bull by the horns, and becomes an over-achiever. I hope he does.

Travis34 likes this.
  32. LargoFin

My comp for Straveler is Nate Davis. I don't think he'll make it, he won't get a chance, but he is worth a pick on production.
    Comp for Woodside is also Bortles, and for Stevens, I'd say Davis Webb.
    Litton is a weird prospect. He is elite at avoiding sacks, he is very decisive, elite presnap, but makes bad decisions after the snap, and everything crumbles there.

33. RedWhiteNBlue

RedWhiteNBlue Well-Known Member

Rudolph , kid can make any throw, doesn’t panic and Is very bright. Has a great team first demeanor and gets respect as a leader. I think he’s as good as anyone of the big 4 except mayfield. Not 2nd tier. Jackson is second tier, 3rd round pick with superb athleticism that moves him into high round 2, but ya someone will grab him in the first.

34. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan Donator

Rudolph by a pretty wide margin, but I'm not even sure he gets out of the first so I wouldn't really call him a 2nd tier QB. After him or Jackson, I like in order White, Lauletta, Ferguson, Silvers, Litton, then Falk.

35. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

this needs a poll.

36. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

I think your evaluations of where these players should be drafted are way off base then. And anyone that believes someone that compares to Mark Sanchez should be drafted in the first round, is hard to take seriously.

Sarnics13 likes this.
  37. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan

38. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

Streveler, wow, that release is insane! It doesn’t even look like he even steps into his throw, the ball is just whipped out there.

Fearthebeard and Burke would love this guy as well!

ckparrothead likes this.
  39. ckparrothead

Nate Davis had a learning disability. That was the big problem for him. Chris Streveler came out of college with two Masters degrees. I don't think that's a problem for him. Nate Davis also had a monster arm. Cannon on his shoulders, despite never having learned to throw the ball by gripping the laces. I believe he had a slightly truncated finger, if I'm remembering right.

I'm not going to agree with a Nate Davis to Chris Streveler comparison because to me it's like comparing apples and bananas.

I don't know that Streveler really has a pure comparison, which is usually worrisome.

He operated a fast-paced spread, like Jimmy Garoppolo, and has a REALLY quick release, like Garoppolo. Obviously both he and Garoppolo were FCS quarterbacks leading their respective teams to unheard of success, and I think both were even Walter Payton Award finalists. Both came up short in the playoffs to better teams, despite good personal performance. They're both very execution oriented, good managers of their respective offenses.

But the delivery is somewhere between Omar Jacobs and Phil Rivers. His delivery is as quick as Phil Rivers had coming out of NC State, though more over the top, but the lack of hip flexibility and follow-through reminds me a bit of Jacobs. Rivers did have some of that going on at times as well.

And of course he's such a PHYSICAL beast, able to run the football, even play running back like he did at Minnesota, you have to be thinking of a Jordan Lynch, Chandler Harnish, or Taysom Hill. He's sized that way.

But then if you go back to the start and go back to the very basics, how many quarterbacks do we know that run a 4.45? Athletically, he's Tyrod Taylor, with maybe an inch more of height and a little wider base.

HeyHoLet'sGo, spiketex and 1 dol fan like this.
  40. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

I’m sold, everything you mention is evident in that video, which I think you may have posted on YouTube.

That hit he takes around 14:00 on 3rd and 11 was brutal yet next series he was back in there whipping the ball around like nothing happened. The touchdown throw he makes earlier with a man right in his grill was textbook! All that and the receivers he was throwing to looked pretty pedestrian.

sold