Which Second Tier Qb Would You Prefer To Draft To Groom? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Second Tier Qb Would You Prefer To Draft To Groom?

Throw away picks in the third or fourth sounds solid.

Day 1: Rudolph, Ferguson, Lauletta, Barrett
Day 2: Woodside, Streveler, Stevens
Day 3: Briscoe, Shimonek
UDFA: Etling

Last edited:
And can’t forget the Michigan Monster, John O’korn! I mean his last name is a rock band so you know he’s intense!

I like Rudolph and would love to see him in Miami. White reminds me of Andy Dalton, not a top tier NFL starter, but can win some games with a supporting cast.

Kyle Lauletta and then I also like Mason Rudolph. But lauletta seems like a good fit for us. Moves well in the pocket and has amazing ball placement/accuracy. That being said, I doubt we draft him because we never seem to draft the later round guys the fans really want. I have a feeling we won't draft a QB until like the 5th round, so some one like Mike White. Hope I'm wrong though.

Mike White is a former pitcher that had a 90mph fastball, local guy for us in South Florida that once took over for our favorite guy in preseason last year, Brandon Doughty. He has really improved his accuracy, as a senior was 65% on 560 throws. Kicked butt at the Senior Bowl. Check out his combine throws he showed some real zip. Dude is 6’5 too, he isn’t going to have balls batted down like Mayfield. My sleeper.

https://whodatdish.com/2018/02/12/s...eoric-rise-of-mike-white-qb-western-kentucky/

http://rotoviz.com/2018/02/nfl-draft-sleeper-mike-white/

You do realize day one is only the first round don't you?
I think so, I think I realize that. And, I think those are the only Qbs in this draft worth drafting on day 1.
I would not draft Lauletta because my comp for him is Blake Bortles, it's a personal bias, but I think he warrants Day 1 pick.
My comps for other guys are, Rudolph - Payton Manning, Ferguson - Goff, Barrett - Sanchez. I think they are all well worth a first rd pick.

Last edited:
I remain a big fan of Kyle Lauletta but I thanked the post on Nic Shimonek because I just like that his name was brought up.

In keeping with bringing up the names that don't often get brought up...

I had been a fan of Logan Woodside going back well over a year ago, and though I haven't talked about him much, he's certainly a guy the Dolphins could take that would have me intrigued. His feet are just so good, and it really influences his accuracy. He also has some of the best work in the draft on throws with NFL timing (2 to 3 seconds snap to throw).

Similarly I've been a fan of two "tough guys" in this draft. They are Brandon Silvers of Troy and Chris Streveler of South Dakota. You can stand these up in the most overwhelming situation imaginable, chaos everywhere, and they're going to keep executing from the first quarter to the last. You want to see toughness in a QB that should be overwhelmed? Watch Silvers play against Clemson in 2016, the year Clemson went on to win the Championship. Watch him play against LSU. This is Troy State we're talking about here.

And you can't intimidate Chris Streveler in the backfield with pressure. He's too much of a physical animal. He's got THE quickest release in the draft. That's not up for debate. He's actually pretty accurate, depending on where he's throwing to. And speaking of the toughness, refusing to be intimidated thing, he played a bunch of games in the back half with a glove on his hand because of a nasty throwing hand injury.

Injury or no, he finished the year 316 of 481 for 4,134 yards, 32 TD, 8 INT, with 168 runs for 720 yards (including sacks) and 11 TDs. He won more games than South Dakota had won in like a decade. The team hadn't won more than 6 games in ten years. But he won 8 games and won them a playoff game. He went wild in his second playoff game too, but they lost because the defense got thrashed.

And going back to him being such a physical animal, at 6'2" and 209 lbs he ran a 4.45, jumped 38.5" vertical, 10'5" broad jump, 4.20 shuttle, and 7.48 cone. The head coach of South Dakota State (not Streveler's head coach, Streveler played for South Dakota) was overheard at the pro day saying that Streveler one of the best pure football player he's ever seen.

As for his own head coach, Bob Nelson broke down in tears talking about him after the playoff loss.

Streveler has TWO Master's degrees. How is that even effing possible?

On the field, like I said before, he's got the quickest delivery in the draft, and he also runs one of those blazing speed Hurry-Up No-Huddle (HUNH) offenses. Why does that matter? Quickest feet in the draft, quickest delivery in the draft, blazing offensive pace, were all THE primary assets of Jimmy Garoppolo coming out as a prospect. Otherwise Jimmy was an FCS quarterback running the spreadiest of spread systems (like an Art Briles system on cocaine), with marginal NFL level arm strength and some bad tape when trying to handle pressure. But I'd say Jimmy G has turned out OK!

Another thing I noted in my film study of Streveler is that he really does spread the football all around that offense. He was not by any means being carried by one or two good players. Part of that is coaching and play calling, as I'm not about to accuse them of running a pro style system. But, he does regularly get through several reads from one side of the field to the other before getting the football out, so it's not entirely a play calling thing either. When I watched Streveler in 2016 I was only marginally interested in him. When I watched him in 2017, I was blown away. That intrigues me on two levels. I love a guy who you can see getting better, who you can see making forward strides.

A couple of downsides to Streveler. For one thing he got beat out in Minnesota at the QB position by Mitch Leidner. Talk about a black mark in the permanent record. Streveler took it in stride, actually moved to other positions and helped the Gophers that way. He eventually transferred to South Dakota. The second downside is that despite his ridiculous quick punch delivery, he's not very flexible in the hips, and his feet, weight transfer, balance on the throw, are just not that attractive. That's the biggest difference that has me resisting a full Jimmy Garoppolo comparison. Jimmy G had a great process all the way through and it reminded me of Trent Green coming out. Streveler has sort of an odd setup and lack of follow through. Is it Omar Jacobs? Is it Phil Rivers? It's a bit of both.

Conference MVP. Walter Payton Award finalist. Should be getting a ton more play than he is.

Last edited:
Draft Goedert his TE at SD state early and Streveler in the later rounds, I’d be happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom