Which Surprise Starter Could Emerge for Every NFL Team in 2020? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Surprise Starter Could Emerge for Every NFL Team in 2020?

There’s been a lot of Patrick Chung comparisons thrown out there by different analysts, in how we use him. I like the pick, although I didn’t know anything about him prior to the draft.

I would compare him to McCourty before Chung personally. High football IQ, good leader, and plays a heck of a lot more physical than you’d expect from a 195lbs guy.

I agree, not quite the same as Chung but definitely in that light as far as role. And for the Minkah comparisons; Jones actually gives a **** about tackling. He is imo the best tackling DB of this past draft. Minkah is a better center fielder but with a match up defense there really isn’t a defined role outside of CB. The way those defenses are typically run is have good/great cover CBs then let the rest of the 8/9 guys match up to fit the personnel they are facing.

There's still going to be someone who's dropping back in zone on most every play. One of the reasons the Pats feel confident playing so much aggressive man is because they have McCourty out there who more often than not is going to make the right decision. Minkah filled that role exceptionally well in Pittsburgh and its unfortunate they couldn't find a way to work it out in Miami.

We are certainly thin at safety and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have Brandon Jones start. McCain is better suited for the nickel/dime role, and Rowe is old and limited. The runway is clear and prepped for Brandon Jones. He can tackle, hit, and do a little of what's needed. He made a big show of how he is a grinder and ultra-prepared. If he can put it all together he should start. But, I still expect us to draft 2 safeties in 2021, regardless.

Just bear in mind that in ZERO of those highlights did he have to beat any blockers. Every one of those highlights was him running free and unfettered to the ball carrier. He didn't show an ability to stack and shed like a LB, he didn't have to fight through TE/WR blocks, he didn't have to evade a pulling G, he was simply running to the ball without resistance. That is unrealistic at the NFL level. Every fast guy can do that, and if he can tackle, he can duplicate that highlight film. I do give Jones credit for diagnosing the plays and executing, but it isn't really a sterling highlight bit. In the NFL, he'll have to work through trash quickly to fill holes, track down players considerably faster than him, evade/stack blockers, and understand many complex coverages.

Fortunately, he seems to be a grinder, because he'll need to master a lot of playbook material to start at safety. I will not look negatively upon him if he does not crack the starting lineup in 2020, because mistakes at safety tend to be very costly. But in 2021, he needs to step up, if not before then.

Back
Top Bottom